David Jacobs' BJJGround Keenan on Flo Interview....Thoughts?

4 days ago
5/30/03

Instead of ranting, I'd like to get other thoughts first....particularly from Students, Instructors and Academy Owners.  

4 days ago
1/1/01

About what?

3 days ago
10/5/11

I thought what he said about the creonte culture was spot on. If you don't like it somewhere, then leave. It's a free market and you're paying to there.

He essentially said it only serves gym owners with that kind of "loyalty" and a real loyalty would be friendships not belonging to the "team name". 

3 days ago
10/5/11

Count Koma wrote this in the unifrom thread and I am no way being disrespectful just using it as an example.

closed guard,
Your apparently NOT an academy owner like myself or the several other people that are on this forum. Running a school is a challenge and is a BUSINESS. So if you want to be a cheap ass, just tell your instructor,"oh hey dude, i'm going to go out an buy the latest shoyoroll on bjj deals, but I dont want to support the school"

I have guys coming in all the time buying our academy rashguards, fightshorts, dry fit shirts and gear bags. I recently invested $2K and bought a bunch of custom Gi's and sold them as a way to continue to brand the school. I dont care what your counter argument is because its vacuous. Running a school and a successful one, comes from your students supporting you and wanting to wear you gear. 
Next time your instructor says,"Who wants to get our latest rashguard or fight shorts?"
Be the first to raise your hand and support your team and your instructor who's busting his butt to run a successful school. 
My good frend Don Franks who trains at Spark Jiu Jitsu in Norcal printed up a bunch of flyers when we were going to watch a tournament and he was just passing them out to people.
Man, you can't pay enough for a student to have that kind of loyalty and sharing the school name around town!

Take a moment and go to google reviews and write a kick ass review for your school and the instructor. People read those reviews all the time and they will join a school based solely on YOUR 5 star rating of your school. Rep it Bro! 
Count Koma

3 days ago
10/5/11

I think it's this mentality Keenan is talking about. You don't owe anyone anything. If you have students like this then cool, but realize it's a business at the end of the day and you're paying to be there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxcn-YvhSzU/

2 days ago
2/9/09
Jake95 -

Count Koma wrote this in the unifrom thread and I am no way being disrespectful just using it as an example.

closed guard,
Your apparently NOT an academy owner like myself or the several other people that are on this forum. Running a school is a challenge and is a BUSINESS. So if you want to be a cheap ass, just tell your instructor,"oh hey dude, i'm going to go out an buy the latest shoyoroll on bjj deals, but I dont want to support the school"

I have guys coming in all the time buying our academy rashguards, fightshorts, dry fit shirts and gear bags. I recently invested $2K and bought a bunch of custom Gi's and sold them as a way to continue to brand the school. I dont care what your counter argument is because its vacuous. Running a school and a successful one, comes from your students supporting you and wanting to wear you gear. 
Next time your instructor says,"Who wants to get our latest rashguard or fight shorts?"
Be the first to raise your hand and support your team and your instructor who's busting his butt to run a successful school. 
My good frend Don Franks who trains at Spark Jiu Jitsu in Norcal printed up a bunch of flyers when we were going to watch a tournament and he was just passing them out to people.
Man, you can't pay enough for a student to have that kind of loyalty and sharing the school name around town!

Take a moment and go to google reviews and write a kick ass review for your school and the instructor. People read those reviews all the time and they will join a school based solely on YOUR 5 star rating of your school. Rep it Bro! 
Count Koma

BJJ is categorized to be whatever is most convenient for these people

1 hour ago
12/1/00
IMO, if you are a paying student, you don't owe that much. If you are a sponsored or non paying student, then the teacher can expect some sort of loyalty.