David Jacobs' BJJGround Most disliked Gracie?

9/27/15 4:51 PM
1/29/08
TheBearStare - If you are a close friend, or someone famous Rener treats you way different. Rener talks down to you as a fan or as a mark that needs to be sold on a product. Phone Post 3.0
I've been to two of his seminars. I never got that impression from him at all. He was a class act imo. Phone Post 3.0
9/27/15 6:16 PM
8/1/09
ColeMillerATT - Goddamn I'm retarded today. Comes from too many naps on Sunday. Renzo is the most gentlemanly of all. Phone Post 3.0
Too many naps aye? And you're blowing El Toro up on FB for catching some z's...... Phone Post 3.0
9/27/15 6:20 PM
8/7/08
mideastgrappler -
The Professional - 
onyx2002 - Royce in the last few years for being a bitter out of touch dude. Ralek for essentially using Metamoris to troll for money/credit cards
I can't even stand hearing this. So far... It's basically "rorion and royce..." More or less, the two faces of BJJ in America! (Don't get all nuts yet... Keep reading).

Rorion risked the family reputation and started the ufc specifically to show how badass BJJ is to the world. Did they pick rickson to hepresent?! No. They chose the skinny guy to prove a point. He could've blown everything....

But he didn't. And he fought like a fucking warrior. I got my blue from Royce and am still not a big fan of his personality, politeness, whatever... But I would never hate on him or Rorion for the simple reason of, "if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have walked into a jiu Jitsu academy."

I thank Relson for keeping me there after 14 years. You fucks... Have some appreciation for history and achievements. Stop bitching because they never said "how was your day? Oh that's wonderful! It is MY absolute pleasure to meet you," etc. this isn't grade school. Phone Post 3.0

Relson is a questionable character.

I was on vacation in Hawaii a few years back and I had met Relson. He seemed real nice and cool. That image was shattered quickly

I went to a local MMA show where Baret Yoshida, a former student of his fought Jeff Curran, whom Relson cornered. Jeff KO'd Baret with a punch. Relson climbed up into the ring, took a camera out and started taking pictures of his unconscious body while pointing and laughing at him as he lay unconscious. Yea, my opinion of him changed forever as well as my respect for him
sounds like Relson. Anyone have pics of relson taking pics of Baret? That's wild. Phone Post 3.0
9/27/15 6:22 PM
2/15/14
there was a site that had them up. Relson went crazy and they were eventually taken down
Edited: 9/27/15 6:26 PM
1/1/01
TheBearStare - If you are a close friend, have some beneficial connection, or someone famous Rener treats you way different. otherwise Rener talks down to you as a fan or as a mark that needs to be sold on a product.

That was my experience.

9/27/15 7:48 PM
4/2/13
mideastgrappler - 
The Professional - 
onyx2002 - Royce in the last few years for being a bitter out of touch dude. Ralek for essentially using Metamoris to troll for money/credit cards
I can't even stand hearing this. So far... It's basically "rorion and royce..." More or less, the two faces of BJJ in America! (Don't get all nuts yet... Keep reading).

Rorion risked the family reputation and started the ufc specifically to show how badass BJJ is to the world. Did they pick rickson to hepresent?! No. They chose the skinny guy to prove a point. He could've blown everything....

But he didn't. And he fought like a fucking warrior. I got my blue from Royce and am still not a big fan of his personality, politeness, whatever... But I would never hate on him or Rorion for the simple reason of, "if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have walked into a jiu Jitsu academy."

I thank Relson for keeping me there after 14 years. You fucks... Have some appreciation for history and achievements. Stop bitching because they never said "how was your day? Oh that's wonderful! It is MY absolute pleasure to meet you," etc. this isn't grade school. Phone Post 3.0

Relson is a questionable character.

I was on vacation in Hawaii a few years back and I had met Relson. He seemed real nice and cool. That image was shattered quickly

I went to a local MMA show where Baret Yoshida, a former student of his fought Jeff Curran, whom Relson cornered. Jeff KO'd Baret with a punch. Relson climbed up into the ring, took a camera out and started taking pictures of his unconscious body while pointing and laughing at him as he lay unconscious. Yea, my opinion of him changed forever as well as my respect for him

Do you know the whole story?  Why Relson was so emotionally involved like that?  There is a lot of history with them and other well known figures that have gone on to do well in Jiujitsu and mma.  Basically it's like how Ralph feels about BJ Penn.  I know BJ personally and he is a really nice guy, but I also understand why Ralph felt the way he did.  I will say that the Baret situation with Relson is almost identical.

9/27/15 7:54 PM
2/15/14
No, I don't know the whole story. I know the general story about what happened between them. Did Baret sleep with Relson's wife? Did Baret abuse and threaten Relson's family? No, I didn't think so. Tell me, what could Baret do to Relson that justifies Relson's disgusting actions that night?

Ralph told BJ he couldn't train elsewhere. Imagine if BJ had stayed with Ralph. He likely wouldn't be as well known as he is today. I would feel hurt if I were Ralph too but Ralph should have recognized and accepted the fact that he couldn't take BJ as far as Nova Uniao and Pederneiras did
9/27/15 8:10 PM
12/18/03
Alive? I have no idea.

Ryan had a ton of fans, but had to get away from Rio - and then from Brazil altogether - because he pissed people enough for then to try to kill him. Phone Post 3.0
9/27/15 8:43 PM
1/1/01
Wasn't Relson the first to take an"entrepreneurial" approach to promotions? Phone Post 3.0
9/27/15 10:36 PM
1/1/01
Slapsymaxi - Wasn't Relson the first to take an"entrepreneurial" approach to promotions? Phone Post 3.0

Do you mean Reylson, who had a school in Vegas..?

9/28/15 12:45 AM
3/15/15
Slapsymaxi - Wasn't Relson the first to take an"entrepreneurial" approach to promotions? Phone Post 3.0

LOL @ this. Completely the opposite.

You are thinking of Reylson.
9/28/15 12:55 AM
9/14/13
The g in a gi
Edited: 9/28/15 1:01 AM
1/20/04
Been under Relson for a very long time . Not easy to get to black from him that's for sure . He's always been very good to me and loves his students . He flew all the way out to Thailand to prepare and corner me for a fight . The fight didn't go down so he partied with us , had the best time .
9/28/15 1:14 AM
1/1/01
Anyone know what caused the fallout between Reylson and Rorion?
9/28/15 3:16 AM
4/2/13
mideastgrappler - No, I don't know the whole story. I know the general story about what happened between them. Did Baret sleep with Relson's wife? Did Baret abuse and threaten Relson's family? No, I didn't think so. Tell me, what could Baret do to Relson that justifies Relson's disgusting actions that night?

Ralph told BJ he couldn't train elsewhere. Imagine if BJ had stayed with Ralph. He likely wouldn't be as well known as he is today. I would feel hurt if I were Ralph too but Ralph should have recognized and accepted the fact that he couldn't take BJ as far as Nova Uniao and Pederneiras did

Feel free to PM me about the Baret story.

And for the BJ situation, are you talking mma or Jiujitsu ?  Ralph couldn't take him as far in Jiujitsu is ludicrous.  Mma may have been another story. I know a few of the guys that were training with Dave Camarillo and BJ back then.  BJ would have gone to Gracie Barra and been just fine in Jiujitsu, he had solid basics and trained like an animal.

9/28/15 5:04 AM
2/15/14
For BJ Penn, I am talking about both. MMA I don't think Ralph had the resources to take him really far.

However for BJJ, It's not that I don't think has doesn't have the ability to take him far. I do think he had the resources and his own ability could have taken him far enough but it was rather their standards of promotion.

Nova Uniao promoted many guys quickly through the ranks if they deserved it. It seemed Ralph and many of the Gracie family members believed more in a "time spent" thing as if paying your dues. Ralph would likely have kept BJ back and took longer to promote him. Had he done that, BJ may have never accomplished the feat of being the first ever American BB world champion. Again, not due to Ralph lacking the skills to take BJ far, just a timing thing.

I will send you the PM about the Baret thing. I really appreciate it
9/28/15 7:23 AM
1/1/01
Yep, confused Reylson and Relson.

:) Phone Post 3.0
9/28/15 7:47 AM
6/13/06
Ralek and Rener from my own perspective. They're "The Hills" characters of BJJ and talk like used car salesmen.

I've heard from some old schoolers that they aren't fond of Rickson. One paraphrased quote I remember was "if you tell a guy for decades that he has an aura, after a while he starts to believe it." I kind of got that vibe in my limited interaction, but I could very easily have caught him at a bad time. His friends and students tend to speak quite highly of him.

Sweetest, most humble by far is Kayron. He's just a good dude. Renzo is the goofiest and most fun to be around. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/15 12:42 PM
9/10/12

Rickson has been the nicest gracie to me so far.

9/28/15 1:42 PM
3/18/02

I think its easy to say Ralek because of all the Metamoris bullshit.  

I didnt really mind his brothers until after Metamoris 2 when Ryron (IIRC) said in the media that the people criticizing Schaub for #Schaubbing.  He said that people were criticizing out of ignorance and that they were "Spectators for a reason".  Very insulting, very disrespectful really to all BJJ practicioners and teachers alike.  

And I started out at Gracie Torrance for years.  Its funny because I know that there are a lot of Rorion and Royce horror stories out there but these two, particularly Rorion, were always extremely pleasant, generous, and accommodating to me in the old days.  

9/28/15 5:20 PM
3/27/14

Renzo for deliberately stepping on his submitted opponents head. And for his recent rant regarding that night club incident where he questioned the what this country is coming to when you can't even say n*gger anymore.

9/28/15 5:25 PM
9/10/12
shen - 
TheBearStare - If you are a close friend, have some beneficial connection, or someone famous Rener treats you way different. otherwise Rener talks down to you as a fan or as a mark that needs to be sold on a product.

That was my experience.

Care to tell us the story?

9/28/15 5:27 PM
9/10/12
Must - 

Renzo for deliberately stepping on his submitted opponents head. And for his recent rant regarding that night club incident where he questioned the what this country is coming to when you can't even say n*gger anymore.

link to him saying that? thats funny shit

9/28/15 5:38 PM
9/12/04
graciesrule - Who is your most disliked Gracie and why? For me it's Rorion for suing his own family and try to control the family being a midlevel(in rank) black belt, also the lies about Carlos Sr. Although Helio and Carlos told a few whoppers themselves.

so rorion did what any other company does to protect it's name and you dislike him for that.now if his family had a good lawyer they would have told them about Armstrong carpet vs bud Armstrong about 1972,that nobody could stop you from using your name for your business
9/28/15 6:09 PM
3/27/14
Judge Mental - 
Must - 

link to him saying that? thats funny shit

If I recall correctly the interviewer was Ariel Helwani and it was about a year ago. Probably The MMA Hour.