David Jacobs' BJJGround My Daughter's an Animal

17 days ago
1/1/01

Both of my kids started BJJ very young, but stopped pretty early too. A combination of factors pulled them away and I wasn't going to force them.

For a little while my daughter was asking about different martial arts, and I just encouraged her to pursue whatever she was interested in. I gave my honest opinion, and of course admitted my bias for BJJ. 

She decided to give BJJ another try and absolutely fell in love with it. Now she trains an insane amount that's only possible because she's a teenager and her body is able to recover. She puts in something like 16 hours a week (mon-thurst - 2 back to back classes, but Friday and Saturday are her favourite days - she does 4 hrs each on those days. She rests on Sunday).

She's made a lot of progress, I hear nothing but wonderful things from her instructors, and she's totally in love with the sport.

My son also started again too and he's doing quite well. He doesn't train as often as his sister (he trains a normal amount - 4 or 5 classes a week), he's got other competing interests at the moment (Rubik's cube, gaming, animation, and music). 

Now when I go visit another area with my kids we all train together and honestly there are very few things as wonderful as being able to bond with your kids over how to properly choke someone!

17 days ago
1/1/01

Congrats.

17 days ago
4/2/13

Daughter started when she was 5, mainly because I taught and needed to bring her with me.  She of course loved it and now at 21, makes it part of her life. Along the way she picked up state wrestling titles and some local BJJ wins but the life benefit was far greater than any of that.

17 days ago
1/1/01
Robobear - 

Daughter started when she was 5, mainly because I taught and needed to bring her with me.  She of course loved it and now at 21, makes it part of her life. Along the way she picked up state wrestling titles and some local BJJ wins but the life benefit was far greater than any of that.

That's awesome!

Part of this post is pride in my kids - and part of it is just pure jealousy.

Jesus - if I put in the hours she did in BJJ things would start falling off.

Edited: 17 days ago
1/1/01

That's really cool. Kids --but especially girls-- get so much out of BJJ.

It's basically a martial art based on the way kids fight on a playground, so it's shockingly easy for most of them to learn. Kids can get so good, so quick it's scary.