David Jacobs' BJJGround Northern Nashville Jiu Jitsu

7/1/19 11:02 AM
11/17/05

Possibly moving to Nashville and from my searches i only see a wealth of jiu jitsu on the southside of Nashville.  Can anyone here recommend some good schools either in the northern end or within a reasonable commute distance of the north?  My office would be located in North so we were contemplating buying in that area, but cannot imagine not being able to train with frequency.

Any experience or knowledge of a GOOD school?  Thank you in advance for any help.

7/2/19 7:12 AM
2/6/07

If you're anywhere near this area check out Jeremy Akin: https://profectushq.com/

7/2/19 10:50 PM
1/1/01
Nashville MMA. It's in Downtown, and it's the best in the area.

If you insist on not driving into Downtown, you can go to the Academy, which is either in Millersville or Goodlettesville (the areas are next to each other and are separated by the Davidson/Sumner Co line). The Academy is affiliated under the same black belt (Shawn Hammonds) that Nashville MMA is, so you would be able to work a deal about going back and forth between both schools.

When you say "northern end of Nashville", are you talking Hendersonville, Gallatin, White House, or Springfield? Or, are you talking another area?
7/3/19 10:44 AM
11/17/05
We would be looking in greenbrier, Hendersonville, gallatin, whitehouse, mt. juliet....... not too familiar with the area but have restrictions on work vehicle, can only be used for work. so i'd have to leave, retrieve personal vehicle and then leave for class (if i could beat traffic). Not sure if driving downtown would be viable with traffic so looking for options.

Had seen the academy didn't know if it was a reputable school (no offense, have never been in the area). Have heard nothing but great things about Shawn Hammonds being a great person and teacher.
7/7/19 6:36 PM
2/6/07
chaseb1 - We would be looking in greenbrier, Hendersonville, gallatin, whitehouse, mt. juliet....... not too familiar with the area but have restrictions on work vehicle, can only be used for work. so i'd have to leave, retrieve personal vehicle and then leave for class (if i could beat traffic). Not sure if driving downtown would be viable with traffic so looking for options.

Had seen the academy didn't know if it was a reputable school (no offense, have never been in the area). Have heard nothing but great things about Shawn Hammonds being a great person and teacher.

Shawn isnt with Nashville MMA anymore.  Cant stress enough if you're anywhere near a 20 mile radius to check out Profectus BJJ in Brentwood.  Jeremy Akin is an incredibly underated instructor with an amazing place.

7/21/19 11:43 PM
4/20/13

I'm not sure if you're still hunting for a school. If so, you might want to check out RMA Jiu-Jitsu. I go there. The professor is Marcelo Ribeiro, forth degree black belt under Carlos Gracie Jr. He's about as good as it gets. He's in Brentwood though, which is a hike from North Nashville. 

Also, one of Marcelo's black belts, Gabe Bebezao runs Legion BJJ in Hendersonville. 

Good luck on your quest and training!

19 days ago
1/1/01
Toilet Steak™ - 
chaseb1 - We would be looking in greenbrier, Hendersonville, gallatin, whitehouse, mt. juliet....... not too familiar with the area but have restrictions on work vehicle, can only be used for work. so i'd have to leave, retrieve personal vehicle and then leave for class (if i could beat traffic). Not sure if driving downtown would be viable with traffic so looking for options.

Shawn isnt with Nashville MMA anymore.  Cant stress enough if you're anywhere near a 20 mile radius to check out Profectus BJJ in Brentwood.  Jeremy Akin is an incredibly underated instructor with an amazing place.

????????????????

I know for a fact that Shawn is still affiliated with NashvilleMMA.

He still owns a small piece of the gym, and every black belt there is affiliated with him. He was training for Master's Worlds there two weeks ago, and from what I understand, runs morning classes 2 or 3 times a week.

The Academy is also affiliated with Shawn and is ran by a Shawn Hammonds black belt. Very convenient for you, if you end up in Greenbrier, Hendersonville, or White House.
19 days ago
2/6/07
Jody -
Toilet Steak™ - 

????????????????

I know for a fact that Shawn is still affiliated with NashvilleMMA.

He still owns a small piece of the gym, and every black belt there is affiliated with him. He was training for Master's Worlds there two weeks ago, and from what I understand, runs morning classes 2 or 3 times a week.

The Academy is also affiliated with Shawn and is ran by a Shawn Hammonds black belt. Very convenient for you, if you end up in Greenbrier, Hendersonville, or White House.

Shawn started his own association some time ago.  While i'm not saying he's on bad terms with any of the NMMA crew, he hasnt flown that flag for a bit.