David Jacobs' BJJGround Okuri Ashi Harai Foot Sweep

11 days ago
1/13/06

In this video we introduce a drill to learn the foot sweep timing and execution of Okuriashi Harai (both feet together foot sweep). This is one of my favourite tachi waza and uke can really get some air with it! ~Support the Channel by Liking, Commenting, and Sharing the videos. :)
11 days ago
4/5/07

Thanks for the video.  Do you find BJJ has people standing less straight up, more bent/crouched?  Seems like people square up a lot more in Judo, which leaves the feet closer for the sweep.  I know I've seen people use foot sweeps in BJJ, I'm just curious if you find them harder to get when they keep their hips/feet back.  Or do you just pull them around until they are forced to step to keep their balance.

I've never even attempted to a foot sweep, but I've always like the idea.  I have back issues, so I don't like to shoot in under people.  That leaves me with sacrifice throws or pulling guard. 

11 days ago
1/13/06

thanks! one way to do this one would be to attempt a snap down to force them to straighten. Having said that sometimes in BJJ, they just might never give you the right setup...just something you might have to accept.

any judo guys on here have any other ideas for okuri when uke is bent over?

11 days ago
1/1/01
GenericAmerican -

Thanks for the video.  Do you find BJJ has people standing less straight up, more bent/crouched?  Seems like people square up a lot more in Judo, which leaves the feet closer for the sweep.  I know I've seen people use foot sweeps in BJJ, I'm just curious if you find them harder to get when they keep their hips/feet back.  Or do you just pull them around until they are forced to step to keep their balance.

I've never even attempted to a foot sweep, but I've always like the idea.  I have back issues, so I don't like to shoot in under people.  That leaves me with sacrifice throws or pulling guard. 

I see more BJJ players adopt more of a wrestling stance when they aren’t experienced in Judo or if they have strong wresting tendencies. As with everything, it varies. 

Keep in mind a stance you see in many BJJ matches would result in a penalty in Judo, so you don’t see it as often once Judoka are more experienced. With that said, I think it is easier to learn sweeps in a more upright stance, as getting the mechanics and timing down makes a huge difference. 

Yes, you can sweep someone when they are in more of that defensive stance, but it’s better to get that down after you’ve gotten good at it from a more upright position. 

Also, once you get your sweep mechanics and timing down, there are a lot of variations of sweeps that could be effective, but there are other throws that may be better depending on the opponent. 

11 days ago
1/1/01

If they are bent over and snapping doesn’t work, you can try setting them up with some pressure to the front, the use a Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi. Basically a sweep with a different pull and angle. 

Also, bent over is often an easy entry into Uchimata, which can have a lot of variations. 

11 days ago
2/21/11
I was doing this on Wednesday with great delight haha.
I call this the wind sweep, because when you do it right it knocks the fucking wind out of your uke.
11 days ago
1/13/06
carcaju - I was doing this on Wednesday with great delight haha.
I call this the wind sweep, because when you do it right it knocks the fucking wind out of your uke.

haha yep, this is the sweep that turned oneof my students into a guard puller hahaha

11 days ago
2/28/06
Thanks!

In a circular motion too.
11 days ago
2/20/09

Legit.

I competed last weekend and every takedown I got was a foot sweep or trip as I have shit wrestling.

whatever works right?

10 days ago
2/21/11
nowaydo - Thanks!

In a circular motion too.

This was exactly what I was going to say.

A more realistic way of being able to set it up than sideways when doing uchikomi.
10 days ago
1/13/06

yeh, we did circular in my classes after this drill :)

10 days ago
2/28/06
nogidavid - 

The way you showed is the way you should begin and learn it.

Then...go circular. \

thanks as always
10 days ago
11/8/09
nogidavid -

thanks! one way to do this one would be to attempt a snap down to force them to straighten. Having said that sometimes in BJJ, they just might never give you the right setup...just something you might have to accept.

any judo guys on here have any other ideas for okuri when uke is bent over?

Knees and uppercuts!  

10 days ago
2/21/11
nowaydo - 
nogidavid - 

Then...go circular. \

thanks as always

Yep it was taught to me sideways movement at yellow to understand the grips, footwork and kuzushi, and of course I always ask "but realistically, how would you apply this in randori", and that was shown.

On a side note, anyone know the reason for the different spelling for harai/barai? Our gym says harai yet I first really noticed it with Braulio commentating.
10 days ago
1/1/01
carcaju -
nowaydo - 
nogidavid - 

Then...go circular. \

thanks as always

Yep it was taught to me sideways movement at yellow to understand the grips, footwork and kuzushi, and of course I always ask "but realistically, how would you apply this in randori", and that was shown.

On a side note, anyone know the reason for the different spelling for harai/barai? Our gym says harai yet I first really noticed it with Braulio commentating.

The Japanese language is a bit funny with pronouncing certain characters when they precede some characters. That’s basically it. 

10 days ago
1/13/06

thanks everyone for all the great info that's been added here :D

I have a video on ko uchi gari (ko uchi harai) that i'll put up soon too , hope you guys like it

10 days ago
3/28/07

CIrcular movement allows for a shorter foot movement when opponent is bent over.  When we practived this throw moving sideways our sensei would have us take 2 side steps where we practice catching the foot and on the third step take a bigger step but pointing your lead foot move in the direction of the throw, lowering yourself in the process, catching the foot and with circular arm motion (that you described) executing the throw.  In judo we practive this throw on the on the sleeve side(like the video) to get the lifting action by pushing the sleeve side into the opponent and using the collar hand to rotate the opponent. 

https://youtu.be/GKd5C3sklpM

10 days ago
2/21/11
Atomic - 
carcaju -
nowaydo - 
nogidavid - 

Then...go circular. \

thanks as always

The Japanese language is a bit funny with pronouncing certain characters when they precede some characters. That’s basically it. 

Thanks.
Edited: 9 days ago
12/21/04

Here is a great compilation of okuri-ashi-harai (when both feet are swept) and deashi-harai (when the front foot is swept). You will see these throws can be executed when the person is moving sideways like David shows and when your opponent is bent over in a BJJ like stance. Olympic Champion Fabio Basile is a master at this (1:35 in this video). As for whether it's barai or harai, the spelling of a word in Japanese sometimes changes depending on it's location. For example, "shime-waza" means "choking technique" while "okuri-eri-jime" means "sliding collar choke"...choke is spelled with a s if it is at the beginning and with a j if it is not. Likewise, "koshi-guruma" means "hip wheel" while "O-goshi" means "major hip." Hip is spelled with a k if it starts the technique (e.g., koshi-waza) and with a g if it does not (uki-goshi). I don't know if this applies to "harai" and "barai" though since in Mifune's book all the sweepting throws use "harai" whether it starts or ends the technique (e.g., okuri-ashi-harai, harai-goshi).      

9 days ago
7/26/12

In

9 days ago
7/26/12

Nogidavid is keeping the BJJ forum alive. Ironic

9 days ago
1/13/06
Aaron Lapointe - 

Here is a great compilation of okuri-ashi-harai (when both feet are swept) and deashi-harai (when the front foot is swept). You will see these throws can be executed when the person is moving sideways like David shows and when your opponent is bent over in a BJJ like stance. Olympic Champion Fabio Basile is a master at this (1:35 in this video). As for whether it's barai or harai, the spelling of a word in Japanese sometimes changes depending on it's location. For example, "shime-waza" means "choking technique" while "okuri-eri-jime" means "sliding collar choke"...choke is spelled with a s if it is at the beginning and with a j if it is not. Likewise, "koshi-guruma" means "hip wheel" while "O-goshi" means "major hip." Hip is spelled with a k if it starts the technique (e.g., koshi-waza) and with a g if it does not (uki-goshi). I don't know if this applies to "harai" and "barai" though since in Mifune's book all the sweepting throws use "harai" whether it starts or ends the technique (e.g., okuri-ashi-harai, harai-goshi).      

great video!

9 days ago
1/13/06
1chaino - 

Nogidavid is keeping the BJJ forum alive. Ironic

hahaha i tried to update my name a while back, but i never got a reply, so i guess it's nogidavi for life now :D

9 days ago
2/28/06
judoblackbelt - 

CIrcular movement allows for a shorter foot movement when opponent is bent over.  When we practived this throw moving sideways our sensei would have us take 2 side steps where we practice catching the foot and on the third step take a bigger step but pointing your lead foot move in the direction of the throw, lowering yourself in the process, catching the foot and with circular arm motion (that you described) executing the throw.  In judo we practive this throw on the on the sleeve side(like the video) to get the lifting action by pushing the sleeve side into the opponent and using the collar hand to rotate the opponent. 

https://youtu.be/GKd5C3sklpM

thanks
9 days ago
3/28/07

In Aaron's video 90 % of the throws ae deashi barai.  Sweeping a single leg with the foot of the opponent moving forward.  The only okuri ashi  harai I saw was possibly at the 3:00 mark where one/two legs are swept sideways. At the 3:20 mark that is more kosoto gari.  Another similar throw is harai tsurikomi ashi where you are stepping in toward the opponent and sweeping one/two legs vs stepping sideways. Mifune demostrating in video.  

https://youtu.be/u2E_i5_LkhE       (Demonstration)

https://youtu.be/Q59J0xpNYn8     (Competition)