David Jacobs' BJJGround Recommendations for a Danaher Video

12 days ago
1/14/08
Cyber Monday and 40% off, so I thought I'd pull the trigger and buy a couple.

He has a lot to choose from. Where would be a good place to start?

Chango
12 days ago
4/27/18

Danaher says back first.But any of the no gi are great. The gi stuff is is ok, but the no gi is fantastic.

Youll be finishing people youve never finished before.

11 days ago
9/29/13
Strangleu -

Danaher says back first.But any of the no gi are great. The gi stuff is is ok, but the no gi is fantastic.

Youll be finishing people youve never finished before.

This is true.

i can honestly say that my jiu jitsu went from a point to where i was only good at holding position on people to finishing them and having options after watching the enter the system vids.  There’s enough conceptual stuff in there that will stay in your head when rolling even with little to no drilling.

11 days ago
1/1/01

My favorites were the Front Headlock and the Kimura. I have all of them so far.  Just watching them without even drilling made a big difference for me on the mat. 

11 days ago
1/2/11

Wow, I got the leg lock one but now am thinking to pick up another based on the feedback in this thread. Gordon put out an IG message earlier today that indicated the cyber Monday code is still active today.

10 days ago
2/9/04

I’m thoroughly enjoying closed guard right now. It’s a bit more repetitive than leg locks and the back, which are the only others that I’ve watched all of, but it’s just full of great little details that I can’t believe I’m getting now, 17 years into this journey. It seems to be having an immediate impact on my game too

10 days ago
1/1/01
skkrocks -

I’m thoroughly enjoying closed guard right now. It’s a bit more repetitive than leg locks and the back, which are the only others that I’ve watched all of, but it’s just full of great little details that I can’t believe I’m getting now, 17 years into this journey. It seems to be having an immediate impact on my game too

Yeah the closed guard one is awesome, it actually pisses me off that I’m just now learning some of this stuff. 

10 days ago
8/2/05

In

10 days ago
1/1/01

I have them all and closed guard is one of the best imo. The guard retention and pins and escapes are probably my least favorite. Not that they’re bad, just that nothing really sticks out that much in those. 

I’ve watched the back attacks and have a very difficult time doing a lot of what he shows. I’ve watched it twice. Feel dumb because everyone raves about that one and I know the concepts are good, but I just have a difficult time implementing any of the things on there. Mind you I train mostly in the gi. 

8 days ago
2/9/04
Fast Pitch -
skkrocks -

Yeah the closed guard one is awesome, it actually pisses me off that I’m just now learning some of this stuff. 

I can’t emphasize your feelings enough. I feel like I haven’t learned a thing about bottom closed guard in 16 years

2 days ago
3/17/08
For the guys that have the closed guard series, what stood out to you? Was it particular techniques or the concepts? For example, his concept of alternating control (one arm and opposite leg) from back control seat belt grip vs. a particular escape. I am thinking about ordering that one next.
2 days ago
1/1/01
AlliancePA - For the guys that have the closed guard series, what stood out to you? Was it particular techniques or the concepts? For example, his concept of alternating control (one arm and opposite leg) from back control seat belt grip vs. a particular escape. I am thinking about ordering that one next.

Both the concepts and techniques he shows regarding closed guard are for me, game changing. I started training in 2005 under a Royce purple belt and then a Royler black belt and back then the most I was taught about closed guard was, close your guard and attempt to sweep or submit. If he starts opening your guard, beat him to the punch and switch to open guard attacks. So since then  I’ve focused mostly on open guard as my go-to since I found attacks from closed guard so difficult. Danaher’s set has changed my perspective completely and now I am actually questioning why I wasn’t taught this stuff from the beginning (I guess because my instructors didn’t know this stuff).  Danaher shows concepts and techniques that make some of the more “traditional” sweeps and back takes from closed guard work way more efficiently, as well as lots of strategy and tactics that I never learned. Danaher has several sub-positions off traditional closed guard, like the side scissors and the clamp, that he uses to control more effectively and set up submissions. Never learned that stuff before. His versions of the scissor sweep and the hip bump sweep are way, way more effective than what I’ve been doing since 2005. So it’s enlightening to learn yet infuriating that I’ve been missing out on this. Just my experience. 

2 days ago
2/9/04
AlliancePA - For the guys that have the closed guard series, what stood out to you? Was it particular techniques or the concepts? For example, his concept of alternating control (one arm and opposite leg) from back control seat belt grip vs. a particular escape. I am thinking about ordering that one next.

It’s definitely the concepts more than anything else. I really love how he breaks down posture breaks. By the end of the 3rd video, he had addressed every common problem that I encounter in rolling. The idea of the side scissor was totally new to me, and I’ve found it to be extremely effective, immediately. The same can be said for the clamp, which I had also not seen before. I start the 4th video today. Can’t wait to see what else is in store 

6 hours ago
3/17/08
Thanks guys