David Jacobs' BJJGround Remembering David Jacobs

27 days ago
1/1/01

A big thing for me about still trying to return to this forum is the fact it memorializes the late, great David Jacobs. We actually met through the forums (this, intheguard, NHBGear and even Defend.net before all of that) and became friends offline as well. Here are a few things I had put up in tribute to him.
27 days ago
1/1/01

This is where I break down the pass David Jacobs was using to try to pass Mike Fowler's guard. He wound up winning with a more orthodox pass, but his combination of using this is what made it effective and he specifically showed this to me when I visited his academy later. Since that time I've always called this the David Jacobs pass in his honor, I only wish I told him that before he passed....

27 days ago
1/1/01
TTT!
27 days ago
5/15/09

Dave was great. I'm so happy that he was one of the local figures that stood out to me when I started Jiu Jitsu and I will forever remember him. He would ALWAYS greet and chat me up at local tournaments, seminars, etc. Always went out of his way to be kind to me even though I was kind of a young punk. 

Shortly before he passed he allowed me to photograph/film a seminar by JT Torres, and hang around after hours in his academy to shoot an follow up interview. It snowed fairly heavily that day, and I feel lucky that if he had to go, I was at least afforded one last hang out in the lobby of his academy, shooting the shit, catching up and watching the snow pile up.

Miss the guy.

27 days ago
9/29/02
Such a loss to the BJJ community.
26 days ago
1/1/01

RIP Dave.  

26 days ago
9/26/02

RIP :-(

26 days ago
1/1/01

RIP TPK

26 days ago
3/19/04

I wasn't lucky enough to call him a friend like some of you but I had numerous interactions with him on the forum and I did get to roll with him in RL and chatted with him for a minute. I told him I was a UG/OGer and he was really fun about it. Wanted to know my screen name but I didn't want to fess up. He was a delight.

25 days ago
9/19/03

Thank for sharing Gumby

25 days ago
1/2/11

Such a nice guy and outstanding representative of the sport. True loss.

24 days ago
1/2/11

How old would Dave be today? Gone far too soon :(

23 days ago
1/1/01
Truly awesome guy gone WAAAAY too soon.
22 days ago
1/1/01

Dave was among the best of us.

We had a great time when he came to the Dominican Republic to visit us, and he always made time for me when I was in DC.

Funny, self-effacing, giving guy without a shred of toxic ego or entitlement.

I miss our chats, and I miss his TPK online persona.

22 days ago
4/28/11

Dave was a fantastic dude.

I started my BJJ journey as his student at Fairfax Jiu Jitsu and it changed my life to the point I'm a partner now in my own academy.

He's greatly missed.