David Jacobs' BJJGround Rickson Gracie online training not fooled twice

9/14/18 8:38 AM
8/13/04
Gallerr has graciously extended for 24 hours Rickson’s weapon defense. I suspect poor sales motivated their generosity. No disrespect intended for Rickson as he has forgotten more about bjj than we will ever know; however, that first module was so bad, even when it was revised due to complaints, that most of us will never be suckered in again.

If you are interested in old school Gracie self defense, Gracie University of Rorion’s old series from the 90s may be a better option.

With so many good online training options, YouTube and proliferation of good bjj instructors, the days of spending money on subpar material is over
9/14/18 8:45 AM
6/3/18
I am also really bummed out over these.I wish he just had someone video with a iphone a few of his seminars,then pick out some of the best lessons. I'm sure it would have been better than this Gallerr glitz bullshit. I'm also not interested in learning gun disarms or knife defense. Why? Rickson Why!!
9/14/18 2:53 PM
1/1/01

Well...if you are looking for the sucker in the room look no further. I paid for the second chapter. Am about 1/2 way through watching them.

The lessons appear to be longr than chapter 1. This is a good thing as it allows for more details to be presented and discussed. I have learned some new things.

There is nothing wrong with what he is showing. Its what he doesn't show and explain that makes this series so problematic to recommend. Rickson is talking to the viewer as if they already know these positions. So these can't be begineer videos. In addition safety points are left out that could cause injury when practicing a move. GU always points out where you could get hurt and how to prevent that from happening.

The whys of the different positions are skipped over.

Some videos cover philosphical aspects or fundamentals like base, strategy, timing, connection. Well I say "cover" but the clips are so short and what Rickson says is basically incomprehensible that they can't even be considered a "sound bite." Fundamentally the problem thoughout is not enough content. There need to be examples of these differnt concepts broken down, etc.

I did like the first chapter covering lesson called "facing life." Life can be challenging and remember to use base in solving the problems of life...like getting a new girlfriend. That cracked me up. How about a lesson in how not to lose the one you already have?

Say what you will but the videos the GU puts out covering some philosophical point are thorough with examples. And almost always relate to the subject of self-defense:)

9/14/18 10:48 PM
10/18/11

I would never pay for an instructional in 2018.  They are all free for download or YouTube from guys that have enough income.

9/14/18 10:50 PM
10/18/11
rnaviaux -

Well...if you are looking for the sucker in the room look no further. I paid for the second chapter. Am about 1/2 way through watching them.

The lessons appear to be longr than chapter 1. This is a good thing as it allows for more details to be presented and discussed. I have learned some new things.

There is nothing wrong with what he is showing. Its what he doesn't show and explain that makes this series so problematic to recommend. Rickson is talking to the viewer as if they already know these positions. So these can't be begineer videos. In addition safety points are left out that could cause injury when practicing a move. GU always points out where you could get hurt and how to prevent that from happening.

The whys of the different positions are skipped over.

Some videos cover philosphical aspects or fundamentals like base, strategy, timing, connection. Well I say "cover" but the clips are so short and what Rickson says is basically incomprehensible that they can't even be considered a "sound bite." Fundamentally the problem thoughout is not enough content. There need to be examples of these differnt concepts broken down, etc.

I did like the first chapter covering lesson called "facing life." Life can be challenging and remember to use base in solving the problems of life...like getting a new girlfriend. That cracked me up. How about a lesson in how not to lose the one you already have?

Say what you will but the videos the GU puts out covering some philosophical point are thorough with examples. And almost always relate to the subject of self-defense:)

I would ask for a refund.  Sounds awful.

9/15/18 12:29 AM
1/1/01

Wait...WTF? Ithought he was supposed to be delvijg deeper into his trainin ng method, where it supposed to show 5he progreessive manner to ramp up to 5he point of almost a fight? Maybe im mistaken, and confused by Jacks description of his trai ing methid in o5her 5hread on the SDU.

Does materiel at least differ from helio and torrance?!?!

9/15/18 8:47 AM
6/4/02
Sgt. Slaphead -

Wait...WTF? Ithought he was supposed to be delvijg deeper into his trainin ng method, where it supposed to show 5he progreessive manner to ramp up to 5he point of almost a fight? Maybe im mistaken, and confused by Jacks description of his trai ing methid in o5her 5hread on the SDU.

Does materiel at least differ from helio and torrance?!?!

Are you having a stroke?

9/15/18 11:36 AM
8/3/04

How can you teach weapons defense if you have never really been threatened with a weapon.     We give TMAs shit for being unrealistic but we have all these Gracie's teaching self defense and weapons defense but how many of these people have actually used this in real life.  I could see maybe guys from the 90s who lived in the favellas and had to scrap but the Gracie's are the Brazilian equivalent of rich white kids.   No one in their right mind would take lessons from some rich kid who knew hapkido but have never had a scrap on the streets only in the dojo.   Yet, people buy into the whole Gracie paradigm of teaching almost the exact kind of self defense because of their role in mma and vale tudo (and vale tudo died a long time ago)

9/15/18 12:57 PM
1/1/01
Horus2001 - 

How can you teach weapons defense if you have never really been threatened with a weapon.     We give TMAs shit for being unrealistic but we have all these Gracie's teaching self defense and weapons defense but how many of these people have actually used this in real life.  I could see maybe guys from the 90s who lived in the favellas and had to scrap but the Gracie's are the Brazilian equivalent of rich white kids.   No one in their right mind would take lessons from some rich kid who knew hapkido but have never had a scrap on the streets only in the dojo.   Yet, people buy into the whole Gracie paradigm of teaching almost the exact kind of self defense because of their role in mma and vale tudo (and vale tudo died a long time ago)

Not sure if this thread is serious. There are plenty of firearm instructors with things to offer who have never been in a firefight.

Rener Gracie has never been in an MMA fight and probably has had very few real fights but many like Brian Ortega, Lyoto Machida and Ronda Rousey feel like he has something to offer as far as teaching jiujitsu for MMA.
9/17/18 1:40 AM
3/17/10
Cocaine Cowboy -

I would never pay for an instructional in 2018.  They are all free for download or YouTube from guys that have enough income.

Dude we get it...you like GU. 

9/17/18 1:47 PM
1/1/01
Horus2001 - 

Dude... I don't know about Rickson, BUT I do know Renzo has been shot and stabbed. In fact, there is a video interview of Renzo where he speaks of having the opportunity to take revenge on person who shot him but Renzo takes the high road and lets the person go. Incidentally, the gunshot Renzo took broke his femur.

You're making assumptions about the Gracie family.