David Jacobs' BJJGround Rufino Dos Santos: The Man Who Beat Carlos Gracie

Edited: 11/7/19 6:26 AM
7/5/03
What do you guys thinks? Anyone heard of this stuff before?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/aCai00QBEl4?fbclid=IwAR0Gng5qw0T06SebhJF-J9TAhReWO569rty5Xkrm6wCuUX8nOjgTLyA80Qc
11/7/19 7:25 AM
8/30/09

Old News

Are you a black belt that used to teach in Bangkok  ( I think ) , if so , I really liked some of your videos , there was a nice omoplata if I remember correctly .

11/7/19 8:56 AM
1/1/01
11/7/19 8:58 AM
1/1/01

Should be titled, Rufino Dos Santos, the man that got ambushed by the Gracie brothers.  Crazy how we ended up putting these guys on pedestals.

11/7/19 10:18 AM
2/20/05

The man Carlos walked away from, mid match... And then gang beat with his bros, with a steel box.... 

OP, read "choque" by roberto pedreira. You'll learn a lot about the Gracie's and soo much more...

Another fun fact about Carlos.... Impregnated an under age girl and then abandoned her...

Crazy people bow to photos and worship him.

Edited: 11/7/19 3:11 PM
8/28/10
Lee Livingstone - What do you guys thinks? Anyone heard of this stuff before?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/aCai00QBEl4?fbclid=IwAR0Gng5qw0T06SebhJF-J9TAhReWO569rty5Xkrm6wCuUX8nOjgTLyA80Qc

He one of the ones who got beaten with a metal box?

Wtf fix the site Kirik the post above mine wasn't there when I first viewed the thread but after I post it's been there for 4 fucking hours already

11/7/19 2:31 PM
1/1/01
Ban OP for spreading LIES!!!
11/7/19 4:56 PM
1/1/01

it's all fun and games until someone gets hit in the head with a metal box

11/14/19 5:37 PM
1/1/01
deepu - 

Should be titled, Rufino Dos Santos, the man that got ambushed by the Gracie brothers.  Crazy how we ended up putting these guys on pedestals.

I do agree the Gracie aren't as often portrayed by the Bjj media. The Gracie are not perfect and shouldn't be put on a pedestal (no human should be placed on a pedestal)...

Now with that said, I think this video is complete bullshit. I think the main person in the video, Rufino dos Santo, is full of shit and is guilty of the very think he accused the Gracies of.
11/14/19 5:57 PM
1/1/01
m.g - 
deepu - 

I do agree the Gracie aren't as often portrayed by the Bjj media. The Gracie are not perfect and shouldn't be put on a pedestal (no human should be placed on a pedestal)...

Now with that said, I think this video is complete bullshit. I think the main person in the video, Rufino dos Santo, is full of shit and is guilty of the very think he accused the Gracies of.

Have you read "CHOKE"...? They reprint NEWSPAPER ARTICLES from Brazil about a lot of these events.

The truth is, the Gracie family had a pretty terrible reputation in Brazil by the time they left. As one old school buddy of Rickson told me personally, "The Gracie's got out [of Brazil] just in time". They, and BJJ people in general, were constantly in the press for negative stuff.

When I was working at UCLA in 1998 I worked with this guy from Brazil named Luiz. He was a gay guy and NOT at all a martial artist, but we talked about BJJ once. I remember him saying, "Oh, those guys...? They're terrible. They have a real bad reputation."

--I was shocked!

All I knew was the marketing "hype" we were fed about the family. This very non-martial artist guy's impression was they they were terrible because the only time their names came up in popular culture in Brazil, was in relation to criminal activity, assault, street fights.
Edited: 11/14/19 6:20 PM
1/1/01
m.g -
deepu - 

I suspect you smell of turnips.

i posted a few of those original articles along with the several of the gracie brothers jumping joa baldi

11/15/19 7:21 AM
1/1/01
m.g -
deepu - 

You think those news articles are forgeries?

11/15/19 1:41 PM
1/1/01
No I don't think they are fake BUT I do think Rufino Dos Santos is full of shit. Do you really think it took five brothers to beat his ass? Also find it hard to believe Rufino was that much better that Carlos Sr. I also don't believe the rules favored Carlos.

Supposedly Helio admitted he whooped Rufino's ass while he brothers kept Rufino from getting away. I believe Helio whooped Rufino's ass.
11/15/19 1:51 PM
1/1/01

So if the articles aren't fake, you'll understand that they jumped him outside the ring.  If that's fine by your moral standards, then I get your love for Helio.

Edited: 11/15/19 11:49 PM
1/1/01
m.g - No I don't think they are fake BUT I do think Rufino Dos Santos is full of shit. Do you really think it took five brothers to beat his ass? Also find it hard to believe Rufino was that much better that Carlos Sr. I also don't believe the rules favored Carlos.

Supposedly Helio admitted he whooped Rufino's ass while he brothers kept Rufino from getting away. I believe Helio whooped Rufino's ass.

so the rest of them holding him while helio bashes him in the head with a cashbox equates to Santos being full of shit?

Edit: Apparently I'm on pot because it was Baldi they beat with the cashbox and got arrested by an army officer, therefore, my argument is invalid

24 days ago
1/1/01
de braco - 
m.g - No I don't think they are fake BUT I do think Rufino Dos Santos is full of shit. Do you really think it took five brothers to beat his ass? Also find it hard to believe Rufino was that much better that Carlos Sr. I also don't believe the rules favored Carlos.

so the rest of them holding him while helio bashes him in the head with a cashbox equates to Santos being full of shit?

Edit: Apparently I'm on pot because it was Baldi they beat with the cashbox and got arrested by an army officer, therefore, my argument is invalid

See that's what I'm talking about!

Do you actually believe Helio needed his brothers to hold Ruffino down in order to beat his ass? PLEASE! That's told bullshit. Why would it take all five brothers to whoop one man's ass? So Ruffino is superman? One Gracie can do the job?

It was a one on one fight between Helio and Ruffino and Ruffino got his ass kicked. That's what I believe. Ruffino and his and his supports are full of shit!
24 days ago
1/1/01
I meant to ask one Gracie can't do the job?
24 days ago
1/1/01

Probably not given the stand up and takedowns we've seen displayed, if dos santos was from the NYAC he was probably pretty good, they pretty much fielded several olympic teams on their own and the head coach George Bothner was an old hand at scrapping with jiu jitsu guys who tried pulling their flippy dippy guard

21 days ago
1/1/01

How many Gracies does it take to change a light bulb?

One to change it, and five to hit Thomas Edison with a steel box. 

21 days ago
12/25/05
de braco - 

it's all fun and games until someone gets hit in the head with a metal box

Ah...so before we had Rickson by water bottle we had Helio by steel box.