David Jacobs' BJJGround Ryan Hall’s Hitler Comments

Edited: 9/25/20 12:48 AM
7/4/11
Adrian Street - Why do people get so ass hurt if anyone mentions Hitler? Who gives a fuck.

Because it's insensitive as fuck and generally creepy to discuss FORGIVING the ghost of Hitler when many people grew up with close relatives that lived through concentration camps. Does this really need to be said?

Referencing Hitler as a joke is one thing, as is criticizing him or depixting a nuanced pictured, but Hall just sounded like a rambling dumbfuck here.

9/25/20 12:44 AM
7/4/11

This is a weird take on cancel culture:

“Let’s take one of the great monsters from history, Adolf Hitler, obviously who’s done awful, awful things, but also for anyone who’s even a minor student of history, did some positive things as well,” Hall said (h/t RT Sports) “I don’t have to embroider this person’s crimes, I don’t have to act as if there was nothing good a monster has ever done and nothing bad that a great person throughout history has ever done.

“But imagine if the ghost of Adolf Hitler were to pop up and go, ‘Oh my gosh, guys I’m so sorry, I know what I’ve done, but I would like to apologize and start to make it right’. You’d hope if he popped over here we would go, ‘I don’t really like what you’ve done and I don’t like you, but at the same time I’m glad to hear that you are attempting to make this right and push in a positive direction, even if you can’t make it right.’”

9/25/20 12:47 AM
7/4/11

"I don’t really like what you’ve done and I don’t like you, but at the same time I’m glad to hear that you are attempting to make this right..."

Totally what I'd say to the ghost of a man that systematically tortured, executed, raped, and experimented on millions of people with the end goal of global eugenics and mass genocide... I don't really like what you've done lol

9/25/20 2:22 AM
1/2/20
He was clearly speaking objectively.
Edited: 9/27/20 12:20 AM
3/20/14
Fabes -

I like Ryan. I am close with some of his guys. He said something stupid. Doesn’t change how I feel about him. I still wish him a happy Rosh Hashanah :) 

I listened to his comments. He's able to separate facts about Hitler having served his society and people to some (at least temporarily) from his atrocities. I'm not a white supremicst (I'm a Hispanic) and I get what Hall was trying to say. He was talking to Lex Friedman (who is Jewish) when he said this.

Edited: 9/27/20 9:22 AM
1/1/01

Hitler served his community well lol. So well that America destroyed it and then with the help of the allies re-built it and made it what it is today. You need to brush up on your romantical egoism pal!

9/27/20 6:24 PM
2/15/14
MattyECB -

“Let’s take one of the great monsters from history, Adolf Hitler, obviously who’s done awful, awful things, but also for anyone who’s even a minor student of history, did some positive things as well,” Hall said (h/t RT Sports) “I don’t have to embroider this person’s crimes, I don’t have to act as if there was nothing good a monster has ever done and nothing bad that a great person throughout history has ever done.

“But imagine if the ghost of Adolf Hitler were to pop up and go, ‘Oh my gosh, guys I’m so sorry, I know what I’ve done, but I would like to apologize and start to make it right’. You’d hope if he popped over here we would go, ‘I don’t really like what you’ve done and I don’t like you, but at the same time I’m glad to hear that you are attempting to make this right and push in a positive direction, even if you can’t make it right.’”

Ryan used it as an example and what people are missing is how Ryan ended it

"even if you can't make it right"

Even from an objective point of view Ryan is basically saying what he did is unforgivable

29 days ago
3/20/14
Fabes -

Hitler served his community well lol. So well that America destroyed it and then with the help of the allies re-built it and made it what it is today. You need to brush up on your romantical egoism pal!

Context. 

29 days ago
2/1/08

He was just making the point that people are complex, not 100% good or evil, even the monsters of history.  I don't think it came out exactly right.  It was part of a long conversation.  Analyzing a written excerpt of a long impromptu conversation isn't really fair, everybody says things that don't come out quite right.  Pretty sure he's not a hitler apologist.  

29 days ago
1/1/01

I don’t think anyone is saying he’s a Hitler apologist. I know I’m not. 

28 days ago
2/7/08
When it comes to Hitler, people don't think he be like he be, but he do.
28 days ago
1/1/01
Fabes - 

That's what I thought...

Until I saw his brand new book, "Thanks, Hitler".

Now I don't know what to think.
28 days ago
2/21/11
mideastgrappler - 
MattyECB -

Ryan used it as an example and what people are missing is how Ryan ended it

"even if you can't make it right"

Even from an objective point of view Ryan is basically saying what he did is unforgivable

Exactly. Reading comprehension be damned!
27 days ago
1/1/01
shen -
Fabes - 

That's what I thought...

Until I saw his brand new book, "Thanks, Hitler".

Now I don't know what to think.

Well shit. Curveball.

25 days ago
3/10/11

Ryan was talking shit on a podcast. Its pretty weak to winge about it.

Its pretty obvious Ryan was coming from a good place. Why chose to assume the worst in Ryan?

25 days ago
2/9/09
SportScience -

Its pretty obvious Ryan was coming from a good place. Why chose to assume the worst in Ryan?

Why use Hitler as your fucking example? He's an idiot...I don't care how smart he's trying to sound

24 days ago
3/10/11
Bend The Knee -
SportScience -

Why use Hitler as your fucking example? He's an idiot...I don't care how smart he's trying to sound

Why care though? Honestly, I think if you care about things like this you need to see a theripist and find out what you are really upset about. I bet deep down inside you are just upset with the way your life is going or something.

24 days ago
1/1/01
SportScience -
Bend The Knee -
SportScience -

Why care though? Honestly, I think if you care about things like this you need to see a theripist and find out what you are really upset about. I bet deep down inside you are just upset with the way your life is going or something.

You seem upset.

23 days ago
3/10/11
Fabes -
SportScience -
Bend The Knee -
SportScience -

You seem upset.

Just disappointed.