David Jacobs' BJJGround Visiting Japan for 3 days... .

Edited: 12 days ago
1/1/01

I'm a 39 year old white dude. 2nd degree black belt.  Trained with Rickson a fair amount. Ranked only under Rickson BBs.  

I am single, love fine dining, dive bars teaching seminars, I just want see tokyo.  I have 3 days only.  Any and all recommendations are welcome.  

What do I need to see?

12 days ago
1/1/01

I would like to visit the Kodokan,

A gardent, a temple, a weird vending machine, get super drunk, bullet train, cross that big ass street, bath(I have a tatoo), sushi

12 days ago
10/13/05
there was a tokyo thread on the og.
otherwsie, i went last year in sept, stayed in shinjuku for a week, saw plenty of temples, plenty of vending machines,
shibuya where the scramble crossing is located, is a very vibrant area, but its very close by to shinjuku. shinjuku has the kabuchiko entertainment area, lots of great nightlife around there.
u cant go wrong with the food, plenty of great eating. enjoy
12 days ago
1/1/01

Geeze, I had a horrible time at the Kodokan...

I showed up dressed in my gi and asked to be given a "VIP tour" and they basically blew me off.

Apparently it was "photo day" with the Japanese National team or something so a lot of Olympic & national champions, past & present, were there. Well, after being exceeding polite for a while, I became a little disappointed with the lack of aknowledgement, so I flipped over ONE bench in the lobby, as a protest.

Now they are asking me to leave --Show up, get treated like sh!t then get asked to leave! --The place was unbelieveable.

I stood in the center of the lobby --SILENT-- doing Shendokan Yogic Breathing exercises for a full 20 minutes, before leaving WITHOUT bowing --which is about THE most disrespectful thing you can do at a true Japanese dojo.

Hope they learned something that day.

12 days ago
1/1/01

Thank god you warned me Shen!  What a shit hole!  (I actually can't wait to visit.)

Thank you Walbjj!

11 days ago
5/8/11

Roppongi!  

11 days ago
1/1/01
fnunderful -

Roppongi!  

I had a Marine tell me just yesterday to stay away...maybe just 1 beer.  (Might be my last words.)

11 days ago
10/13/05
Jack Taufer -
fnunderful -

Roppongi!  

I had a Marine tell me just yesterday to stay away...maybe just 1 beer.  (Might be my last words.)

Seeing as u only have 3 days, I wouldn't bother with roppongi. U will more than occupy those days with Shibuya, Ginza and shinjuku

Edited: 10 days ago
1/1/01

Lose yourself in Kabukicho after hours.  I had a ton of fun doing that.  And don't be surprised or offended when you cannot get into places that are Japanese only.

9 days ago
4/23/04

You're going to have a great time in Tokyo. Let me know your travel dates and perhaps we can meet. I'm heading there in the next days. 

5 days ago
1/1/01
Imanari has a 7 AM class in Tokyo I believe. However, strangely he said he doesn't teach leglock material during the group class.

Akikai has classes open to the public (aikido) in Japanese.

Kodokan has no instructional classes for visiting foreign adults sadly, but they have a cool museum and library of historical stuff and you can spar judo in the evenings.
4 hours ago
3/18/02

Jack not sure if you went yet or not.

Id do some judo if youre looking to train

i trained at the kodokan (osaka) for 1 year and they never really had an instructional class. 

All randori and occasionally they would stop it to show something (the red belt would)

So many black belts who wanted to help me I never needed a "class" 

2 hours ago
1/1/01
BigEyedFish -

i trained at the kodokan (osaka) for 1 year and they never really had an instructional class. 

All randori and occasionally they would stop it to show something (the red belt would)

Sup Big dog, I go after my trip to the Philippines.  So I'll be there minimumly 15th to the 18th.  Thank you for the rec.

2 hours ago
1/1/01

Of Sept*

1 hour ago
5/8/11
Jack Taufer -
BigEyedFish -

Sup Big dog, I go after my trip to the Philippines.  So I'll be there minimumly 15th to the 18th.  Thank you for the rec.

Will you check out midget boxing in Manila?

43 minutes ago
9/16/08
Jack Taufer - 
BigEyedFish -

PM sent...kind of.