29 days ago
1/1/01
Wallid stopped by my teacher's school (Rey Diogo) the other day and he asked me to roll with him. What an experience. First of all, it's not a persona - he really is the most intense person. He had what looked like his rituals before rolling, putting on tape, walking back and forth a certain way, etc. and Rey told me, "be ready for the pressure"

...and wow - I was not. He really makes you carry his weight the whole time and he is very patient. Low risk. He for certain had the strongest single hook back control I have ever felt in my life. I know you're supposed to keep the guy stretched out, but he exaggerated this stretch out and it was paralysing. He also was not afraid to use his wrist blade radial bone to force my chin up. I made the mistake of going nice and "respectful" with a guy who's only goal is to smoke you. I got a rude awakening of the old school mentality. I am still not sure how to navigate that as it's not my personality to try and go 100% to kill you, but maybe that's my own problem.

And in true competitive fashion, after the bell rang he said, "no keep go." We ended up rolling for thirty minutes with me mostly defending until Rey finally told him class is finished. He had impressive cardio - he never got tired, and never stopped moving forward. He has a MEAN body lock that he goes for from seated for standing passers - it's one I will steal and use for my own.

Cool to roll with what seemed to be a game that was in a time capsule (I mean this in an amazing way) - I have rolled with competitive modern styles and this was just...different. This was almost a reconfirmation for me that the style I grew up on is the style you want for a fight.

Here is foto of me in between Rey and Wallid after the first round.

https://imgur.com/a/TSz5bCB
29 days ago
8/20/16

"He has a MEAN body lock that he goes for from seated for standing passers -"

Can you tell me more about this? He bear-hugged you from sitting guard? I can potentially use this in my game.

Edited: 29 days ago
1/1/01

That's cool!

He used to stop by occasionally a long time ago. He taught class one night --he's not really into teaching. But I liked what he taught.

I recall he said (paraphrase), "I don't know very much jiu jitsu, I just do what I know" That stuck with me for some reason.

29 days ago
9/19/07

29 days ago
1/1/01

Very interesting.  Thanks for posting!

Edited: 28 days ago
5/17/13

In

29 days ago
7/25/13

In.

29 days ago
11/11/11
shen -

That's cool!

He used to stop by occasionally a long time ago. He taught class one night --he's not really into teaching. But I liked what he taught.

I recall he said (paraphrase), "I don't know very much jiu jitsu, I just do what I know" That stuck with me for some reason.

Love this

29 days ago
1/1/01

Bad ass!

Edited: 29 days ago
5/17/13

I heard a story that he hated playing guard, so in comps he would have his friends/teammates talk really loud about his “Judo Black Belt” so everyone would pull guard on him(he didnt train Judo at the time). Lol

29 days ago
12/21/04

Awesome. Rice and beans jiu-jitsu. Carlson Gracie Jr. would tell me stories about how Wallid HATED to tap and if you ever tapped him he would not let you leave until he got his revenge. Another one of Carlson's top black belts told me how he hated rolling with Wallid because it was ALWAYS 100%. 

29 days ago
1/1/01
blabbermouth -

Can you tell me more about this? He bear-hugged you from sitting guard? I can potentially use this in my game.

Yes I’d like to hear more about this too please. 

29 days ago
5/17/13
Fast Pitch -
blabbermouth -

This too and his general bottom game

29 days ago
12/21/04

Another reason why I am a fan of the Old School. Wallid is in his 50s and still crushing souls the same way he did 30 years ago. 

29 days ago
1/1/01
GaspareBJJ - 
Fast Pitch -
blabbermouth -

Our second roll I started in his closed guard. I can tell you this, it doesn't seem like he has a guard. His goal was to hip heist as soon as possible to wrestle you.

I 2-on-1 pin an arm pinned to his belly to stand pass and get vertical posture. I broke his closed guard and I am in his open guard and this is where a modern day guard player would typically go shin to shin, look for a single or elevate etc. and instead he hip heist and wrenched the tightest body lock to fold me back and bulldozed me forward (and meanwhile captured the inside space with his head.) He gets me on my back but I managed to stiff arm and hip heist in a scramble and had him in a front headlock and attempting a go behind but he was comfortable wrestling and ultimately it led me to turtle and that's what he was looking for. That was a home base position for him. Man, he hovered my hips and made me pay for turtling. That was one of my big takeaways was that when I attack turtle, I am not punishing enough. It was a great lesson. From there, he gets that single hook and it's just downhill from there.

Shen, that's really cool! I knew he visited before but I had no idea he taught a class. You can just tell Rey and Wallid had total wars with each other, it was just great to even witness the banter between them.
28 days ago
1/1/01

AWESOME

28 days ago
3/18/02

love everything in this thread.  bravo 

28 days ago
1/1/01
SpeedKing9 - 
GaspareBJJ - 
Fast Pitch -
blabbermouth -

Our second roll I started in his closed guard. I can tell you this, it doesn't seem like he has a guard. His goal was to hip heist as soon as possible to wrestle you.

I 2-on-1 pin an arm pinned to his belly to stand pass and get vertical posture. I broke his closed guard and I am in his open guard and this is where a modern day guard player would typically go shin to shin, look for a single or elevate etc. and instead he hip heist and wrenched the tightest body lock to fold me back and bulldozed me forward (and meanwhile captured the inside space with his head.) He gets me on my back but I managed to stiff arm and hip heist in a scramble and had him in a front headlock and attempting a go behind but he was comfortable wrestling and ultimately it led me to turtle and that's what he was looking for. That was a home base position for him. Man, he hovered my hips and made me pay for turtling. That was one of my big takeaways was that when I attack turtle, I am not punishing enough. It was a great lesson. From there, he gets that single hook and it's just downhill from there.

Shen, that's really cool! I knew he visited before but I had no idea he taught a class. You can just tell Rey and Wallid had total wars with each other, it was just great to even witness the banter between them.

When I was a Blue Belt I watched them roll a bunch of times.

They would roll all afternoon.

Rey goes, "You know what he's like...? A pig'

I'm like, "A 'pig'..?"

Rey's like, "You know a pig, with the nose... Any space at all, first he put jus the tip of the nose, then the nose, then his face then his head then his whole body, rey. You don't believe!"

LOL

5/17/13
SpeedKing9 -
GaspareBJJ - 
Fast Pitch -
blabbermouth -

Thanks for the reply! Wallid seems like the man. 

28 days ago
8/30/09

Was he just training for fun , or is he preparing for an upcoming match ?

Awesome thread , thanks for sharing

28 days ago
12/31/10

As good as his game is, I feel like his student, Dave Lang, really took things to the next level. 

28 days ago
12/21/04
Speedking9, I'm guessing that Wallid's style is even effective against the modern leglock game because he passes so low to the ground and it is very hard to elevate or get under him.
28 days ago
3/28/02
Aaron Lapointe -

Awesome. Rice and beans jiu-jitsu. Carlson Gracie Jr. would tell me stories about how Wallid HATED to tap and if you ever tapped him he would not let you leave until he got his revenge. Another one of Carlson's top black belts told me how he hated rolling with Wallid because it was ALWAYS 100%. 

I remember hearing this, too.  One guy said if Wallid didnt tap you that day, he would be waiting for you the next day before class started, saying "you and I are going to train today"

28 days ago
3/28/02
SpeedKing9 -
GaspareBJJ - 
Fast Pitch -
blabbermouth -

Carlson used to laugh and say "Wallid has blue belt guard"

someone else used to say "Wallid only knows about 6 techniques but he knows them very very well!"

DId he get you with the clock choke?  I have heard that his clock is brutal

1/1/01
He was traveling in between commitments to his fighters in the UFC and was in LA so he stopped by to see Rey. He actually wanted to train with Rey but he is recovering from a torn rotator cuff.

Yes, he passes LOW and tight - I actually play a footlock game and it was completely shut down from him!

his was all nogi and I didn't even have proper nogi attire since it was a gi day, so I had to go in my normal tshirt and gi pants. So no clock choke.

And YES - he HATES to tap. Rey even told me the next day, if I tapped him, he probably would have cancelled his flight and would've been at the gym the next day waiting for me. He said this happened all the time in the old days. If Rey bested him in training, he would show up at 6am the next morning and banged on his door at home and shouted, "let's train motherfucker!"