David Jacobs' BJJGround What about Bitetti?

18 days ago
12/21/04

With the recent talk on this forum about Carlson's elite black belts a name that is often overlooked is Amaury Bitetti. Not only was Amaury the first 2x Absolute World Champion but he also won his weight division in the 1998 and 2000 Brazilian National Championships at a time when the National Championships was pretty much equivalent to the Worlds with regard to the level of competition. Carlson Gracie Team would often have in-house tournaments to decide who would represent the team at major championships so for Amaury to be chosen to be in the Absolute division the first two years of the World Championships is a major testament to his skill level and Carlson's confidence in him. When you talk about the best competitors in BJJ history he is clearly one of the more underrated athletes since you rarely hear his name in those conversations. Back in the day though there were few better at combining BJJ with judo and wrestling.....you rarely ever saw him put on his back. Although his no-gi and MMA accomplishments were not nearly as decorated as his BJJ career that should by no means tarnish his legacy in the gi. Without a doubt he was one of the best. 

18 days ago
8/20/16

A few weeks ago I was watching some techniques he had on YouTube. It was some really good stuff.

the first (and maybe only) time I ever saw him fight was against Don Frye and we all know how that barn-burner turned out.

18 days ago
12/21/04

Another thing to keep in mind is that Carlson was very competetive and he held nothing higher than the absolute title. Almost no way he would let a student he did not have extreme confidence in enter the absolute division. 1996 and 1997 (the two years that Amaury won the absolute division) was around the time that Bustamante, Sperry, Wallid, Liborio, etc. were all in their prime. I am not sure how many competitors from each team were allowed to enter the absolute division, and it's possible that some guys could not enter for various reasons (e.g., injury, family responsibilities, etc) but the fact that Amaury was one of Carlson's representatives for two years in a row, and won both times, says a lot. 

18 days ago
1/1/01
He was a beast but got wrecked by Don Frye and to Carlson Vale Tudo was the ultimate, not sport BJJ.
18 days ago
7/10/09

I was at a seminar of his maybe 10 years ago.  There were 30-40 people there and dude spent easily 30 mins out of a 1.5 hour seminar basically giving me a private class.  He spoke portugese the entire time but I could follow along well enough.  Showed me some groundbreaking(for me anyways) top game stuff.  

After it ended Im standing next to my instructor and he walks up and starts chit chatting me, again in portugese.  I had no clue and looked at my instructor for help.  My instructor and he converse for maybe 10 seconds and I can see Bitetti's face go from smiles to frown, he flails his hands questioningly at me, curses and walks away.  Im befuddled.  My instructor turns to me and says "He thought you were Brazilian".

18 days ago
12/21/04
graciesrule - He was a beast but got wrecked by Don Frye and to Carlson Vale Tudo was the ultimate, not sport BJJ.

You are right to a certain extent. Carlson did have extra admiration for his students who performed well in vale tudo. With that said, you had to be really good in the gi as well for him to truly value your jiu-jitsu.   

18 days ago
11/25/09
Aaron Lapointe -

Another thing to keep in mind is that Carlson was very competetive and he held nothing higher than the absolute title. Almost no way he would let a student he did not have extreme confidence in enter the absolute division. 1996 and 1997 (the two years that Amaury won the absolute division) was around the time that Bustamante, Sperry, Wallid, Liborio, etc. were all in their prime. I am not sure how many competitors from each team were allowed to enter the absolute division, and it's possible that some guys could not enter for various reasons (e.g., injury, family responsibilities, etc) but the fact that Amaury was one of Carlson's representatives for two years in a row, and won both times, says a lot. 

A lot of those guys also competed in the absolute. There was one year Murilo placed in the Absolute and I think Bitetti also did.

Also Murilo was just awarded his coral belt this week. 

18 days ago
1/1/01
N5Z - 

I was at a seminar of his maybe 10 years ago.  There were 30-40 people there and dude spent easily 30 mins out of a 1.5 hour seminar basically giving me a private class.  He spoke portugese the entire time but I could follow along well enough.  Showed me some groundbreaking(for me anyways) top game stuff.  

After it ended Im standing next to my instructor and he walks up and starts chit chatting me, again in portugese.  I had no clue and looked at my instructor for help.  My instructor and he converse for maybe 10 seconds and I can see Bitetti's face go from smiles to frown, he flails his hands questioningly at me, curses and walks away.  Im befuddled.  My instructor turns to me and says "He thought you were Brazilian".

Lol!
17 days ago
12/18/03
N5Z - 

Amazing!

17 days ago
2/29/16

I am not a BJJ guy but I saw his name in "hottest threads" so wanted to read it.  I trained at MFS back in the old days, when Amaury had his 2nd UFC fight vs (going from 20 year memory) Alex Andrade he came up here with Osvaldo Alves and Artur Mariano to train.  One Saturday they did a seminar.  There was a bit of a language barrier but they were all really nice guys.  He gave me this one day.

9 days ago
1/1/01

I was lucky enough to go to a seminar of his at rodrigo medeiros last Saturday. All solid passes without tons of steps straight to the kill.

8 days ago
1/1/01

I heard this guy used to like to stand at the edge of the water at the beach in Rio, with his back to the water, hold is arms out to the side (palms forward) with a tennis ball in each hand. He would squeeze the tennis balls and flex and eyeball everyone on the beach. I didn’t see this with my own eyes, this is a story I heard.

8 days ago
2/15/14

good BJJ guy. Too bad he didn't translate for MMA or fighting at all.