David Jacobs' BJJGround What areas of the US are shut down (for BJJ)?

9/29/20 11:40 AM
3/18/02

Looks like Atos HQ is back to holding unless theyre posting old pics on IG

9/29/20 12:24 PM
3/28/02
The Maestro -
SpeedKing9 - I know much of the US jj is back open 100% but how much has consumer behaviour changed? Is THAT back to 100%? I have to imagine that a generous portion of the kids program and at least some of the adults program has to have been affected.

I own a gym.  We had 300 members prior to covid and just returned last month.  We have around 120 right now.

The first to return were college kids.  Those who no longer were willing to have their lives disrupted.  These are less risk averse members.  If they lived on their own, or with roommates, didn't have health issues and could afford it, they were the first to return.  The college kids who live at their parent's home are much more likely to stay at home because they can't risk it.    

Many of our fathers have stayed at home.  They want to return but their wives aren't going to allow it.  Even those that reach out to me, I tell them that there's no rush and that there's no need to have a war at home.  Some of the parents have seen changes for the worse in their children.  I don't think that it's healthy to stay at home for children, particularly for their social development.  These kids have returned.  

that approach makes alot of sense

if I was in college I would be training and partying like it was 1999

9/29/20 4:45 PM
5/18/06
mideastgrappler -
The Mat Pimp -

City and County of Honolulu is all closed I believe, has been since March.  I have to imagine many of the smaller academies will end up closing. 

I've dropped into a few schools there before. some very talented BJJ schools there.

shame, aren't they not doing too bad there in Honolulu? Nearly every other state seems to have opened up BJJ in some degree, allowing at least small groups to train. From what my friends there tell me, it seems nothing is really allowed

Yes, there is widespread interest in BJJ and there are plenty of very talented players here, so it's a huge shame.  Unfortunately, our leadership has badly mismanaged the response to coronavirus and placed many small business, including BJJ gyms, in an ugly position.  That's the polite way of saying it. 

29 days ago
5/8/11

vermont was open for solo workouts only when I left, but I think they started this month with minimal contact...

29 days ago
5/11/08
The Maestro -
SpeedKing9 - I know much of the US jj is back open 100% but how much has consumer behaviour changed? Is THAT back to 100%? I have to imagine that a generous portion of the kids program and at least some of the adults program has to have been affected.

I own a gym.  We had 300 members prior to covid and just returned last month.  We have around 120 right now.

The first to return were college kids.  Those who no longer were willing to have their lives disrupted.  These are less risk averse members.  If they lived on their own, or with roommates, didn't have health issues and could afford it, they were the first to return.  The college kids who live at their parent's home are much more likely to stay at home because they can't risk it.    

Many of our fathers have stayed at home.  They want to return but their wives aren't going to allow it.  Even those that reach out to me, I tell them that there's no rush and that there's no need to have a war at home.  Some of the parents have seen changes for the worse in their children.  I don't think that it's healthy to stay at home for children, particularly for their social development.  These kids have returned.  

Regarding your last point, my wife and I are both highly educated with good jobs. We put a lot of effort into parenting our daughters, and spent a lot of time to make sure our kids got the most out of the school closure period. We took them out as much as we could, made sure they did all their schoolwork, and even organized playdates with other families that were tired of the nonsense. Our kids still suffered and we definitely noticed behavioural issues that we're still trying to figure out how to deal with properly (anxiety in our oldest is probably the biggest one). Not having school and their regular activities was very damaging to them.

All this to say, I can't imagine how this is affecting the at risk kids out there. There is very real, permanent damage being done to them but some of the people in charge just to seem to care enough. It's heartbreaking. 

29 days ago
5/30/03
mideastgrappler - 
The Maestro -
BTTMike -

It’s city by city basis.

The state doesn’t have enough people to actually enforce anything. It comes down to local municipalities choosing to send people out to levy fines or threats of them.

For instance in most LA cities they are sending people, but that’s not the case for all.

In OC for instance there is less enforcement. My friend in La Palma was cleared by his city with no restrictions. 

Make of it what you will. I moved back here in February to open an academy, and I’m currently looking to get outta this shithole state before it implodes any further.

If you want to open a gym go to Texas or Florida. CA is done for new gyms imo

They have a 10% capacity rule right now. Imagine doing with 4 students and all social distancing. Now even the shit talkers have reopened their academies lol

Why is Cali done for new gyms? Fill me in please, I'm quite ignorant of whats going on there in California but I'm hearing it's terrible

From what I see on social media, some gyms are publicly allowing training in pods

Whereas Andre Galvao down in San DIego is operating full force

Almost everyone I know is running full force, either with posters up to cover the windows or some other variation.  So there is a fire code for every building and that code determines your maximum capacity based on the size of the building.  The majority of gyms have a capacity of 50.  Currently, California is allowing gyms to operate with 10% capacity indoors.  This means, if you have an instructor, you can have 4 students in a And you better hope that you can demonstrate the techniques on those students because if you need another partner to move correctly for the techniques, you can knock down the 4 students to 3.  

You must also have 6 ft of distance which is impossible for any combat sport.  So if you were to follow the law, per the CDC guidelines, you would be allowed to have 3-4 students all doing solo drills with social distancing.  They would also be forced to wear masks.  If you have a retail building, you are paying a minimum of $5-10K in rent alone.  Operating expenses, insurance, etc would lead you to 10-15K a month.  How on earth can you run a business with 3-4 students at a time?  If you ask your landlord or the city, they will tell you to have 24 hours of gym and have people coming in to train at 3 AM or simply "pivot" to online.  They're idiots.  

The pods are a good idea in theory but they are nearly impossible to work.  You cannot pod people based on who comes to a A, B, C, D can ONLY train together.  B can't train with E if A, C and D don't show up to train.  But that's a different discussion.

All the big guys in the industry inclding ATOS, AOJ, GB, Checkmat are running their academies like normal with the windows shut.  What's terrible is that they can't really market like previously.  Some parents don't want to take their kids to what looks like a closed down business.  It seems shady.  And if you are paying for retail rent, how does it make sense to operate in the dark with the shades drawn down?

29 days ago
5/30/03
pbody - 
The Maestro -

Regarding your last point, my wife and I are both highly educated with good jobs. We put a lot of effort into parenting our daughters, and spent a lot of time to make sure our kids got the most out of the school closure period. We took them out as much as we could, made sure they did all their schoolwork, and even organized playdates with other families that were tired of the nonsense. Our kids still suffered and we definitely noticed behavioural issues that we're still trying to figure out how to deal with properly (anxiety in our oldest is probably the biggest one). Not having school and their regular activities was very damaging to them.

All this to say, I can't imagine how this is affecting the at risk kids out there. There is very real, permanent damage being done to them but some of the people in charge just to seem to care enough. It's heartbreaking. 

It's really interesting you said that because the parents that I have been dealing with say the same exact thing.  Anxiety was a huge problem.  And unfortunately, most parents don't have the ability to take their kids to the park or organize playdates...so the kid sits at home all day doing nothing but "staying safe"

Edited: 29 days ago
2/8/11

It's been about the same in my area as well. Things were sort of chugging along under the radar, then about a month or two ago the county health inspector came around and really cracked the whip. Rumor has it that the county had been looking the other way, but the state told them to crack the whip or they would cut state funding to our county.

Things changed with the introduction of CA colored tiers. Even though our county went to red, BJJ gyms still aren't allowed to do adult as they are categorized as "amateur indoor sports". Kids are allowed to run but with strict limitations. 

29 days ago
5/28/02

Middle Tennessee here, it's supposed to be a 20 student limit. Officially, that's what we have nightly

29 days ago
2/15/14
joe_mama -

It's been about the same in my area as well. Things were sort of chugging along under the radar, then about a month or two ago the county health inspector came around and really cracked the whip. Rumor has it that the county had been looking the other way, but the state told them to crack the whip or they would cut state funding to our county.

Things changed with the introduction of CA colored tiers. Even though our county went to red, BJJ gyms still aren't allowed to do adult as they are categorized as "amateur indoor sports". Kids are allowed to run but with strict limitations. 

this colored tier system is stupid

Seems like Hawaii copied California's colored tier system

Edited: 29 days ago
9/30/10
BTTMike -
The Maestro -
BTTMike -

It’s city by city basis.

The state doesn’t have enough people to actually enforce anything. It comes down to local municipalities choosing to send people out to levy fines or threats of them.

For instance in most LA cities they are sending people, but that’s not the case for all.

In OC for instance there is less enforcement. My friend in La Palma was cleared by his city with no restrictions. 

Make of it what you will. I moved back here in February to open an academy, and I’m currently looking to get outta this shithole state before it implodes any further.

If you want to open a gym go to Texas or Florida. CA is done for new gyms imo

They have a 10% capacity rule right now. Imagine doing with 4 students and all social distancing. Now even the shit talkers have reopened their academies lol

100%. You nailed it.

Im going to Dallas, West Palm Beach, and Orlando areas in Nov/Dec.

BTTMike

Dallas is a great place to live, the economy rocks. The only thing I do not like is there isn't much in the way of nature. If you like outdoors  and camping keep on trucking.

Other than that come on down sir!

Edited: 28 days ago
2/8/11
mideastgrappler -
joe_mama -

Yeah the whole thing is a big mess. I mentioned in another thread that what happens in the future post-covid is the thing to worry about. We've established precedent now that the govt can shut you down willy nilly (whether it's the right thing to do or not is irrelevant). 

Not that I'm in the small business game to begin with, but the way things look right now, there's no way I would ever consider opening a small business in a blue state going forward.

28 days ago
2/15/14
joe_mama -
mideastgrappler -
joe_mama -

Yeah the whole thing is a big mess. I mentioned in another thread that what happens in the future post-covid is the thing to worry about. We've established precedent now that the govt can shut you down willy nilly (whether it's the right thing to do or not is irrelevant). 

Not that I'm in the small business game to begin with, but the way things look right now, there's no way I would ever consider opening a small business in a blue state going forward.

sorry, I'm interested in your thoughts on this, but I am not familiar with your other thread but would like to know more

28 days ago
8/19/19
I closed for 1 week at the end of April. Been open ever since and busier than ever. Peachtree City GA
26 days ago
5/8/11

I'm back training after a long 6 months off.  The guys here have been at it every day...I am getting smashed! 

Edited: 26 days ago
1/1/01

I’m in Los Angeles and haven’t trained since March with my gym being closed. LA has been really rough on gyms. 

Edited: 26 days ago
2/8/11
mideastgrappler -
joe_mama -
mideastgrappler -
joe_mama -

sorry, I'm interested in your thoughts on this, but I am not familiar with your other thread but would like to know more

Well, I summarized most of it in my above post about we now have precedent for govt. shutting you down. And how it's stronger and more prevalent in blue states vs red ones. If you own a small business and are reliant on it as your income source, it's a risky prospect going forward in a blue state. Covid isn't going to be the last virus that we encounter. 

According to the CDC for 2019 just the regular flu we had: 24,000-62,000 deaths (and that's with a vaccine). That's the same ballpark. And I don't mean to diminish Covid at all (yeah I know, the death toll may have been higher if we didn't lockdown), but the point is a very bad flu year and/or new and novel virus will get us to a significant body count again in the future. We pulled the e-brake society for 200k lives, would we do it for 100k lives? 50k? 10k?

Anyway, I don't want to get into the effectiveness/ethics of the lockdowns, just that there will be lockdowns again in the future. I think it's pretty guaranteed at this point, especially in a blue city/state. If you're a small business owner, how do you prepare for that?

26 days ago
8/28/10
liuk3 -

I’m in Los Angeles and haven’t trained since March with my gym being closed. LA has been really rough on gyms. 

Reach out to me by pm and you can come roll with us Saturday and Sunday mornings up in Simi in a friend's garage. This morning there was 12 of us. Purple, brown, and black belts.

Our real gym is open but on the weekends we keep it closed since the other businesses around have more traffic and we want to keep it semi low-key. But overall our have 20-30 plus in attendance every night. 

26 days ago
1/1/01
Sometimes covid-19 lets me porrada -
liuk3 -

Reach out to me by pm and you can come roll with us Saturday and Sunday mornings up in Simi in a friend's garage. This morning there was 12 of us. Purple, brown, and black belts.

Our real gym is open but on the weekends we keep it closed since the other businesses around have more traffic and we want to keep it semi low-key. But overall our have 20-30 plus in attendance every night. 

Thanks, I appreciate it. I’ve had people recently hit me up thinking about starting either a Jiu Jitsu training pod and separately a Muay Thai boxing pod. 

25 days ago
8/28/10
liuk3 -
liuk3 -

Thanks, I appreciate it. I’ve had people recently hit me up thinking about starting either a Jiu Jitsu training pod and separately a Muay Thai boxing pod. 

If it makes you any more comfortable I'm tested every week for work and have been negative and we've been training since April

25 days ago
1/1/01
liuk3 -
liuk3 -

If it makes you any more comfortable I'm tested every week for work and have been negative and we've been training since April

Appreciate it. It’s not really me with the issue. It’s my wife worried about exposing the family. 

24 days ago
9/30/10
liuk3 -
liuk3 -
liuk3 -

Appreciate it. It’s not really me with the issue. It’s my wife worried about exposing the family. 

If it makes you feel any better, covid ran through my house. My wife and I most likely contracted at the gym. My 12 yr old tested positive as well but would have never guessed it. 

There was a pretty large group from the gym that tested positive. 2 weeks later everyone is back and buisness as usual.