David Jacobs' BJJGround What areas of the US are shut down (for BJJ)?

9/27/20 2:08 PM
7/28/02

Where is there no jiu jitsu going on in the country?  I know the rules and climate are different everywhere - what's it like where you are vs the rest of the country? 

Edited: 9/27/20 3:24 PM
1/1/01
CA is shut down (as least officially). Some gyms are secretly open, some aren't, a bunch are permanently closed.
Edited: 9/27/20 3:25 PM
8/28/10
shen - CA is shut down.

We're training up here like nothing ever happened. 30+ plus guys in the night and 20+ in the morning easily

We have been threatened to have the power shut off etc but we're still going like it's cool

Edited: 9/27/20 3:28 PM
1/1/01
I edited my post.

Yeah, my teacher's gym has been visited 2x by local officials, but he hasn't gotten a fine.

I myself am teaching at a new gym with a very low profile.
9/27/20 3:31 PM
8/28/10
shen - I edited my post.

Yeah, my teacher's gym has been visited 2x by local officials, but he hasn't gotten a fine.

I myself am teaching at a new gym with a very low profile.

I'll reach out to you offline and try to stop by sometime soon and support. I know it's tough out there

9/27/20 4:30 PM
7/28/02

I think CA and NC are in the same category - "closed", but DL training.  VA is open for business, with gyms ultimately only accountable to themselves (EG, we are doing a very high degree of social distancing, designated partner training only w/solo looking to move to "pods" soon, but that's as far as we're going during the pandemic).  I think those are the 3 main categories out there. 

9/27/20 6:25 PM
2/15/14
shen - CA is shut down (as least officially). Some gyms are secretly open, some aren't, a bunch are permanently closed.

How is it some gyms are openly marketing going on, in training pods?

Atos is fully open too from what I understand

9/27/20 6:32 PM
1/1/01
mideastgrappler - 
shen - CA is shut down (as least officially). Some gyms are secretly open, some aren't, a bunch are permanently closed.

How is it some gyms are openly marketing going on, in training pods?

Atos is fully open too from what I understand

They are playing the odds game that they won't get busted.
9/27/20 8:51 PM
11/25/09

It’s city by city basis.

The state doesn’t have enough people to actually enforce anything. It comes down to local municipalities choosing to send people out to levy fines or threats of them.

For instance in most LA cities they are sending people, but that’s not the case for all.

In OC for instance there is less enforcement. My friend in La Palma was cleared by his city with no restrictions. 

Make of it what you will. I moved back here in February to open an academy, and I’m currently looking to get outta this shithole state before it implodes any further.

9/28/20 1:36 AM
5/30/03
Sometimes covid-19 lets me porrada -
shen - CA is shut down.

We're training up here like nothing ever happened. 30+ plus guys in the night and 20+ in the morning easily

We have been threatened to have the power shut off etc but we're still going like it's cool

Was your academy personally threatened with the power thing or do you mean Cali in general?

9/28/20 1:37 AM
5/30/03
BTTMike -

It’s city by city basis.

The state doesn’t have enough people to actually enforce anything. It comes down to local municipalities choosing to send people out to levy fines or threats of them.

For instance in most LA cities they are sending people, but that’s not the case for all.

In OC for instance there is less enforcement. My friend in La Palma was cleared by his city with no restrictions. 

Make of it what you will. I moved back here in February to open an academy, and I’m currently looking to get outta this shithole state before it implodes any further.

If you want to open a gym go to Texas or Florida. CA is done for new gyms imo

They have a 10% capacity rule right now. Imagine doing with 4 students and all social distancing. Now even the shit talkers have reopened their academies lol

9/28/20 10:50 AM
1/2/11

TX is fully open with no restrictions 

9/28/20 11:33 AM
1/1/01
I know much of the US jj is back open 100% but how much has consumer behaviour changed? Is THAT back to 100%? I have to imagine that a generous portion of the kids program and at least some of the adults program has to have been affected.
9/28/20 1:45 PM
5/30/03
SpeedKing9 - I know much of the US jj is back open 100% but how much has consumer behaviour changed? Is THAT back to 100%? I have to imagine that a generous portion of the kids program and at least some of the adults program has to have been affected.

I own a gym.  We had 300 members prior to covid and just returned last month.  We have around 120 right now.

The first to return were college kids.  Those who no longer were willing to have their lives disrupted.  These are less risk averse members.  If they lived on their own, or with roommates, didn't have health issues and could afford it, they were the first to return.  The college kids who live at their parent's home are much more likely to stay at home because they can't risk it.    

Many of our fathers have stayed at home.  They want to return but their wives aren't going to allow it.  Even those that reach out to me, I tell them that there's no rush and that there's no need to have a war at home.  Some of the parents have seen changes for the worse in their children.  I don't think that it's healthy to stay at home for children, particularly for their social development.  These kids have returned.  

9/28/20 1:56 PM
11/10/05
MA is allowed to workout in "cohorts" of up to 10 people now. It started about 3 weeks ago.
Once you get into a cohort, those are the only people that you can train with.

We also have more time between classes to ensure there's no interaction between students of different groups. There's no locker room usage and we keep the doors and windows open.
Edited: 9/28/20 4:02 PM
8/28/10
The Maestro -
shen - CA is shut down.

Was your academy personally threatened with the power thing or do you mean Cali in general?

From my understanding someone popped their head into the gym with a clip board and looked around during the daytime comp c l ass then left.

The next day my coach got a call from the city saying to close it's doors, or the power would be shut off. 

We boarded up the windows and locked the doors and only let in people we know from the back door at that time. Now the windows are still boarded, but the doors are open. Keeping it low key and no hanging out in the back parking lot after or before cl ass but it's hard with the kids because they want to play with their friends as it's the only exposure a lot of them get to other kids

Edited: 9/28/20 4:28 PM
5/18/06

City and County of Honolulu is all closed I believe, has been since March.  I have to imagine many of the smaller academies will end up closing. 

9/28/20 6:50 PM
5/30/03
The Maestro -
shen - CA is shut down.

From my understanding someone popped their head into the gym with a clip board and looked around during the daytime comp c l ass then left.

The next day my coach got a call from the city saying to close it's doors, or the power would be shut off. 

We boarded up the windows and locked the doors and only let in people we know from the back door at that time. Now the windows are still boarded, but the doors are open. Keeping it low key and no hanging out in the back parking lot after or before cl ass but it's hard with the kids because they want to play with their friends as it's the only exposure a lot of them get to other kids

Damn....did they pop their head in when gyms were still supposed to be closed or after we reopened a few weeks ago?

9/28/20 7:13 PM
8/28/10
The Maestro -
The Maestro -
shen - CA is shut down.

Damn....did they pop their head in when gyms were still supposed to be closed or after we reopened a few weeks ago?

This was last month or the month before when they popped in then made the threat. No one really cared so we just keep training. Head coach said last week to just keep it off social media as people are still getting messed with but who knows it's all bullshit all around man 

9/28/20 11:39 PM
11/25/09
The Maestro -
BTTMike -

It’s city by city basis.

They have a 10% capacity rule right now. Imagine doing with 4 students and all social distancing. Now even the shit talkers have reopened their academies lol

100%. You nailed it.

Im going to Dallas, West Palm Beach, and Orlando areas in Nov/Dec.

9/29/20 3:17 AM
11/11/11

I think San Bernardino County is open

9/29/20 6:02 AM
2/15/14
The Maestro -
BTTMike -

It’s city by city basis.

Why is Cali done for new gyms? Fill me in please, I'm quite ignorant of whats going on there in California but I'm hearing it's terrible

From what I see on social media, some gyms are publicly allowing training in pods

Whereas Andre Galvao down in San DIego is operating full force

9/29/20 6:10 AM
2/15/14
The Mat Pimp -

City and County of Honolulu is all closed I believe, has been since March.  I have to imagine many of the smaller academies will end up closing. 

I've dropped into a few schools there before. some very talented BJJ schools there.

shame, aren't they not doing too bad there in Honolulu? Nearly every other state seems to have opened up BJJ in some degree, allowing at least small groups to train. From what my friends there tell me, it seems nothing is really allowed

9/29/20 6:13 AM
1/2/11
mideastgrappler -
The Maestro -
BTTMike -

It’s city by city basis.

Why is Cali done for new gyms? Fill me in please, I'm quite ignorant of whats going on there in California but I'm hearing it's terrible

From what I see on social media, some gyms are publicly allowing training in pods

Whereas Andre Galvao down in San DIego is operating full force

Is Atos at full force?

9/29/20 10:03 AM
8/28/10
mideastgrappler -
The Mat Pimp -

I've dropped into a few schools there before. some very talented BJJ schools there.

shame, aren't they not doing too bad there in Honolulu? Nearly every other state seems to have opened up BJJ in some degree, allowing at least small groups to train. From what my friends there tell me, it seems nothing is really allowed

Hawaii is just finishing up a full fledged lock down. They were ticketing MARRIED couples, who live together, for standing closer than 6ft to each other a week ago........