David Jacobs' BJJGround When is someone ready to be promoted to black IYO?

16 days ago
4/27/18
TBoy2 -
Strangleu -

In my gym the older browns and blacks are competitive with the younger ones but I wonder if that’s just an anomaly. But none of them are likely winning the mundials either

Interesting. I just left the school I have been at for many years but it is in a college town. So we got some good wrestlers. There are not too many older guys but it is common for the athletic purples and browns to beat the older 50+ guys of a higher rank. There were only a couple regular black belts and maybe 3 browns. Not too many middle age guys stay with BJJ and the ones that do usually have some kind of injury. I mean there were quite a few but most of course eventually drop out just like the younger guys. The head instructor was in his early 30s and was very good who could tap everyone. 

Young and very athletic (wrestlers) are a problem for sure

16 days ago
1/1/01
We have a recent college grad that was a D1 wrestler and goes 1 for 1 with the browns in my school. He has picked everything up very quickly and usually is able to use a new technique in live rolling immediately after learning it. He'll get his blue in about 6 months of training. He body awareness is ridiculous and if I have to beat that guy everytime we roll I'll never get my black belt. Having said that, everytime we roll the only reason I have a chance at surviving the roll much less tapping him is my 10 years of mat time in jiu jitsu. For me, that is the true testiment to BJJ. I'm 50 and he is 25. I'm an out of shape 170 and he is a male model at 170. I'm not athletic at all and he was given a free education because of his athletisism.
16 days ago
3/20/14

I’m an old jackass with a black belt. 

15 days ago
1/1/01

I’m an old fat guy with a brown belt. Turn 51 in a month. There are a couple of young (25) strong blues and purples that compete (in BJJ and MMA) that just destroy me. 

Edited: 15 days ago
3/18/02
Hey Beer Man - We have a recent college grad that was a D1 wrestler and goes 1 for 1 with the browns in my school. He has picked everything up very quickly and usually is able to use a new technique in live rolling immediately after learning it. He'll get his blue in about 6 months of training. He body awareness is ridiculous and if I have to beat that guy everytime we roll I'll never get my black belt. Having said that, everytime we roll the only reason I have a chance at surviving the roll much less tapping him is my 10 years of mat time in jiu jitsu. For me, that is the true testiment to BJJ. I'm 50 and he is 25. I'm an out of shape 170 and he is a male model at 170. I'm not athletic at all and he was given a free education because of his athletisism.

This. I am a 52 yr old hobbyist black belt and have a hard time against the competition purples and higher that train everyday. I have been live rolling/sparring/randori pretty much nonstop for the last 25+ years either in Judo or BJJ and just have alot of wear and tear on my body. Although compared to many guys my age I am doing pretty well.

I roll with anyone who asks and against the tough higher belts I just roll to survive and for fun. I still do well against the lower belts and the higher belts. Most of my rolling is just to keep it playful and I do turn it up on some of my rolls, but noway can I roll hard every roll and not be super sore the rest of the week.

Anyway my idea of what a black belt should be is kind of old school. I think Helio Gracie had some comment about Jiu Jitsu being created for the weak to beat the strong. It was meant to allow a smaller/older person to beat a larger untrained person. So for an older brown belt I think how he handles a bigger untrained (or with some training) person who walks in would be my judgement on his skill level. In fact this is why I started Gracie Jiu Jitsu 20 years ago back when I was 155 lbs. To be able to defend myself against someone much bigger and stronger.

13 days ago
4/2/13

Must have NO sexual harassment complaints.  From the Female students.........and male.

13 days ago
4/27/18
Robobear -

Must have NO sexual harassment complaints.  From the Female students.........and male.

Lol

1 day ago
1/1/01
TheBearStare -
TBoy2 -
TheBearStare -

Every jack ass has a black belt these days. Its  definitely an achievement, but not some miraculous feat that it can be made out to be. As long as they can hold their own against other brown and blacks its sufficient. If you want to add some other arbitrary criteria thats entirely up to the promoter.

So how about a guy in his 50's who has a decent technical game and has been training 10+ years? Should he be able to beat browns and purples?

His age yes

And size