David Jacobs' BJJGround Which Danher System to get first??

7 days ago
11/1/07
With all of the talk of John Danaher, I want to check out his DVD's. They're pretty pricey, but I can get one. Trouble is, there are 7 of them! Which would be the best to start with?
7 days ago
9/7/17
back attacks
7 days ago
3/13/02

I’d start with back attacks. I haven’t seen the pin escapes one but that may be a better starting spot 

7 days ago
1/1/01

Danaher himself said to focus on escapes first. But of the “attacking” systems he said back attacks should be learned first, then whatever you prefer. 

Edited: 7 days ago
6/2/05

Skill level?

6 days ago
10/23/09

If you're like 99% of BJJ practitioners, you should avoid getting any of them. Most people don't have the time to drill/positional spar the techniques they see in DVDs and basically don't get that much out of them.

6 days ago
4/27/18
Muffinho -

If you're like 99% of BJJ practitioners, you should avoid getting any of them. Most people don't have the time to drill/positional spar the techniques they see in DVDs and basically don't get that much out of them.

This is painfully 110% correct

6 days ago
6/22/03
Strangleu - 
Muffinho -

Why bother learning anything new at all then?
Edited: 6 days ago
1/1/01
Lazarus -
Strangleu - 
Muffinho -

Haha true...I’ve picked up and used in live rolls lots of stuff from videos without ever drilling them once. 

6 days ago
1/1/01

6 days ago
4/27/18
Lazarus -
Strangleu - 
Muffinho -

straw man argument

6 days ago
9/29/13
Strangleu -
Lazarus -
Strangleu - 
Muffinho -

straw man argument

Danahers vids stuck with me without drilling them for some reason.  Granted I am not executing EVERYTHING in them, but the front headlock stuff, the triangle strategies, and his stuff on the arm bar REALLY helped me just the way he explained it 

6 days ago
9/29/13

If you are a white belt, pin escapes.

anything else, attack series starting with either triangle or armbar.  Then I would do front headlock or back attack

6 days ago
4/2/10

Back attacks helped me greatly.  

5 days ago
4/27/18
mrblonde1281 -
Strangleu -
Lazarus -
Strangleu - 
Muffinho -

straw man argument

Danahers vids stuck with me without drilling them for some reason.  Granted I am not executing EVERYTHING in them, but the front headlock stuff, the triangle strategies, and his stuff on the arm bar REALLY helped me just the way he explained it 

helped me a shit ton

5 days ago
1/1/01
Why did he put them out in the order he did? Seems he did it backwards.
5 days ago
7/5/12
Fast Pitch - 
Lazarus -
Strangleu - 
Muffinho -

Haha true...I’ve picked up and used in live rolls lots of stuff from videos without ever drilling them once. 

Same here. Visualization is a powerful tool
5 days ago
7/30/03

I think the question is, what do you want to work on.

Back is more of a positional system that covers back, crucifix, truck, and some turtle.

Front headlock is a hybrid positional system covering the sprawling front headlock and a submission system covering chokes. The chokes can come with setups from fhl or sitting guard.

Leglocks, Arm bars, Kimuras, & Triangles are submission systems that dig deeper into the specific submission and covers setups and follow ups from a variety of positions.

The escapes dvd is self explanatory.

4 days ago
9/29/13
graciesrule - Why did he put them out in the order he did? Seems he did it backwards.

He did.  He said he did it because the demand for the leg lock dvd was so high that he had to go with the offensive stuff first.  

4 days ago
9/7/17
Muffinho - 

What's your take on upper belts though? If you're a brown or black belt you can roll with blue or some purple belts and use it as a form of drilling. Get yourself into the positions you want to practice from and you'll probably get good reactions to work with.
4 days ago
9/7/17
graciesrule - Why did he put them out in the order he did? Seems he did it backwards.

I don't believe he intended from the start to release as many as he did but I could be wrong. I figured off rip that he intended to release legs and back. When the first was so successful and the back set was being filmed I think he decided to keep it moving. Because when the back set was finished filming he said he was going to film the front headlock and then the kimura. Those do seem to be the 4 systems his guys use the most and then I wouldn't say the triangle and armbar sets were cash grabs by any means but I don't know if they were intended from day one.
4 days ago
9/7/17
graciesrule - Why did he put them out in the order he did? Seems he did it backwards.

Well the leg and back sets came first because that is what his students were most known for. Also the leg game leads to the back game pretty easily. After that those 2 his students are probably most known for the kimura grip and front headlock attacks. All of those link together to put you in positions for armbars and triangles. So to me I thought he put them out in a good order.
4 days ago
1/1/01
mata_leaos - 

Well the leg and back sets came first because that is what his students were most known for. Also the leg game leads to the back game pretty easily. After that those 2 his students are probably most known for the kimura grip and front headlock attacks. All of those link together to put you in positions for armbars and triangles. So to me I thought he put them out in a good order.

Gotcha. Good points