David Jacobs' BJJGround Who Trains at Legion with Keenan?

11/3/19 5:49 PM
5/30/03

I figure that someone here has to train there.  What are the monthly prices?

11/3/19 6:10 PM
7/30/03

Is it even open yet?

11/3/19 6:10 PM
1/1/01

I don't believe that it opens until around December 1?

11/3/19 6:15 PM
5/30/03

I saw pics already and from his ads it seems that he already has students signed up. I'm assuming they know how much theyre Paying

Edited: 11/3/19 8:51 PM
1/1/01

From his school facebook page, it looks like he had some early bird discount pricing for the first 100 students to sign up. Then, he had a class for those 100 students and apparently is not signing up students now but might be doing so in a few weeks. However, it says that they are still in the process of building their facility and setting up their systems. I think that on the matburn podcast this past week he mentioned something about opening up around December 1 if I recall correctly.

11/4/19 11:03 AM
5/30/03
liuk3 -

From his school facebook page, it looks like he had some early bird discount pricing for the first 100 students to sign up. Then, he had a class for those 100 students and apparently is not signing up students now but might be doing so in a few weeks. However, it says that they are still in the process of building their facility and setting up their systems. I think that on the matburn podcast this past week he mentioned something about opening up around December 1 if I recall correctly.

Thanks. I'll bump this from time to time because I'm interested 

11/4/19 2:36 PM
2/28/03

I like Keenan but I doubt he got 100 paid sign ups 

it’s a good scarcity ad tactic 

11/4/19 2:39 PM
1/1/01
I think I remember seeing he was charging his first 100 students $179 for life or until they stop.

He showed a foto of the first training with just his pre registers and it looked to be about a 100 people. I don't know, he is a pretty big name and that facility is out of this world. I am pretty jealous, that is a dream academy setup.
11/4/19 2:41 PM
7/30/03
The Maestro -
liuk3 -

Thanks. I'll bump this from time to time because I'm interested 

If I were you I would send him an email.

11/4/19 2:48 PM
5/30/03
checkuroil -

I like Keenan but I doubt he got 100 paid sign ups 

it’s a good scarcity ad tactic 

No idea if he did or not but his marketing is straight out of LIs playbook. 

11/5/19 10:00 AM
3/9/13

I believe him. 100%.

11/5/19 10:56 AM
2/28/03

Caio terra went to open.  Everyone said how much they wanted to train with him. Guess how many members he had after month one?  10 people 

11/6/19 8:43 AM
3/18/05

On his IG story he had a functional space for those prepaid students, there was training going on. But they are still building out the facility. 

11/6/19 12:21 PM
4/26/13
checkuroil -

Caio terra went to open.  Everyone said how much they wanted to train with him. Guess how many members he had after month one?  10 people 

Wow.  It’s one thing to watch someone’s YouTube videos, it’s another thing to sign off on autopay for $200/month at their academy.  Luckily for Keenan it looks like his mats are already pretty packed 

11/6/19 12:27 PM
5/30/03
Easters - 
checkuroil -

Wow.  It’s one thing to watch someone’s YouTube videos, it’s another thing to sign off on autopay for $200/month at their academy.  Luckily for Keenan it looks like his mats are already pretty packed 

Are you dissing Caio or Keenan?

11/6/19 6:26 PM
1/25/06
checkuroil -

I find this difficult to believe. I had more than opening an academy in rural texas

11/6/19 7:48 PM
2/28/03

11/6/19 10:33 PM
4/26/13
The Maestro -
Easters - 
checkuroil -

Are you dissing Caio or Keenan?

Huh?  Neither.  

Edited: 11/7/19 1:05 AM
6/16/04
dub post
11/7/19 1:12 AM
6/16/04
checkuroil - 

Nah, Caio had alot of students off the bat. Alot of students left surrounding schools to join him as soon as he opened up. I'm not sure what he is talking about in the IG post but he had alot of students training daily.

I believe he opened the school with the help of the Krav Maga guy. This is why the school was first called "Institute Of Martial Arts". But his student base quickly got large,he cut ties, and made the school all BJJ.

My guess is that he didn't have the initial startup money and only got the money from 11 students after his partners got their cut.
11/7/19 2:12 AM
2/28/03
SpiderManBJJ -
checkuroil - 

Nah, Caio had alot of students off the bat. Alot of students left surrounding schools to join him as soon as he opened up. I'm not sure what he is talking about in the IG post but he had alot of students training daily.

I believe he opened the school with the help of the Krav Maga guy. This is why the school was first called "Institute Of Martial Arts". But his student base quickly got large,he cut ties, and made the school all BJJ.

My guess is that he didn't have the initial startup money and only got the money from 11 students after his partners got their cut.

I can only speak to what he wrote.  I’m not an insider 

11/7/19 7:52 AM
4/26/13
SpiderManBJJ -
checkuroil - 

Didn’t he also open it out of necessity becusee cesar fires him for training Carlos Condit?

11/8/19 2:57 AM
2/15/14
SpiderManBJJ -
checkuroil - 

Not sure, he had a lot of his friends and guys from Brazil training with him but I doubt they were paying students. 

He didn't have less than 10 students, but he didn't have a bunch of students. The truth is somewhere in between liekly. I dropped by in Sept/Oct 2011. Caio missed classes a bit, and had Quexinho teach instead. Quexinho wasn't well known yet.  The class wasn't too big, about less than 20 but more than 10. It seemed like a mix of ages, from some bigger kids and a few older adults. Defintely not like his school today

11/10/19 10:03 AM
1/1/01

I wouldn’t be surprised if Keenan already did sign up a good number of students. Relative to Caio when he was just starting his school, I believe that Keenan may have a personality that might be more palatable/relatable to the American consumer base from a business perspective. 

11/10/19 11:27 PM
2/8/11
mideastgrappler -
SpiderManBJJ -
checkuroil - 

Not sure, he had a lot of his friends and guys from Brazil training with him but I doubt they were paying students. 

He didn't have less than 10 students, but he didn't have a bunch of students. The truth is somewhere in between liekly. I dropped by in Sept/Oct 2011. Caio missed classes a bit, and had Quexinho teach instead. Quexinho wasn't well known yet.  The class wasn't too big, about less than 20 but more than 10. It seemed like a mix of ages, from some bigger kids and a few older adults. Defintely not like his school today

I came by at the beginning as well during that summer when they first opened. I thought it was decently full. Had some friends who moved gyms over there and they really liked it. That all being said, a few things I remember from my drop in:

- Their web presence was terrible. It was very difficult to find the school via a google search. You had to know exactly what you were looking for. Had to know that it was [back then] called "Institute of Martial Arts". The domain as well, bjjsanjose.com or whatever wasn't intuitive either, and not easy to find.

- When I dropped in, I had forgotten to bring in the 'free class coupon' that was required to do the trial class. The front guy was really nervous about it, but finally let me train "Just make sure Caio doesn't find out!". 

The instruction was good though. Quexinho was around, so was Flavio Meier. Both really nice guys, and great to roll with.