David Jacobs' BJJGround Who has the best solution for the rubber guard?

16 days ago
1/1/01
Is Eddie Bravo playing 4D chess by putting Marcelo's defense on his social media? Does he believe it won't work and lead to a chain of set ups?
Gordon Ryan's defense has been criticized as not being against a realistic rubber guard.
I vaguely remember Relson showing me a way to beat it from way back in the day but I'd have to review.
Any other notable teachers have a way to counter it?
16 days ago
1/1/01
opps - mods please move to bjj forum
16 days ago
1/1/01

I remember SimGo just kept standing up against one of Eddie's students and it killed his RG. This was years ago

16 days ago
12/26/02

Back in the day, Roy Harris showed some simple counters to it during a guard passing seminar at my place.

He showed the core elements that make the bottom position work, and how to shut them down.  I still use his approach when I need it.

16 days ago
2/27/08

Matt Thornton says to clasp your hands and shove 'em into their throat.  That's from his 2009 instructional posted recently in the lutre liva thread.

15 days ago
1/1/01
Red Stuff - 

Matt Thornton says to clasp your hands and shove 'em into their throat.  That's from his 2009 instructional posted recently in the lutre liva thread.

do you have a link? can't find
15 days ago
2/27/08
At 27.22 of the Matt Thornton video on the last page of the Hugo Duarte: Luta Livre thread in this very BJJ forum.

It's just a quick mention of it - nothing in depth.
15 days ago
7/30/03

Does anyone remember the reason Rickson said he didn’t like the rubber guard. I seem to remember him pointing out a hole in the system that made it dangerous to play in his opinion. It seems like it had to do with smooth transitions to other guards after the rubber guard is compromised or something. Anyone remember or know what I am talking about?

15 days ago
1/1/01
Calhoon - 

Does anyone remember the reason Rickson said he didn’t like the rubber guard. I seem to remember him pointing out a hole in the system that made it dangerous to play in his opinion. It seems like it had to do with smooth transitions to other guards after the rubber guard is compromised or something. Anyone remember or know what I am talking about?

I think I remember him saying something random like you can knee the person in the back.
15 days ago
8/15/07
It's called posture.
Edited: 15 days ago
7/30/03
FatBuddha -
Calhoon - 

I think I remember him saying something random like you can knee the person in the back.

https://youtu.be/H-ORXrzzeas

This is all I could find. If I recall he said more.

15 days ago
3/7/14

rubber stamp

15 days ago
6/28/11

Miguel Torres once told me his hip pressure and a few good fists to the face would take care of it. If they can't move their hips to transition then they'll have to release and try something else. Miguel's passing was really underrated.  

15 days ago
1/1/01
Calhoon - 
FatBuddha -
Calhoon - 

https://youtu.be/H-ORXrzzeas

This is all I could find. If I recall he said more.

damn, never saw that clip. Wish he would have elaborated though.
15 days ago
10/28/08
whatevermoo -

rubber stamp

Love the rubber stamp.

14 days ago
6/7/13

14 days ago
3/7/14
Setree -
whatevermoo -

rubber stamp

Love the rubber stamp.

It's the prob the best answer, I heard Eddie mention it in a video before. One of his black belts teaches it as cannon I heard, everyone uses it at his school, and the person in guard really needs to work around it. His name might have been Shigeki or something?

14 days ago
3/9/12

Marcelo Garcia

14 days ago
11/10/05

I always try to do a few things to prevent from even getting there:

- big chest.. a lot of people bring their shoulders in and become small while they try to hide their head to block the foot from coming in from of the face. You opponent needs to bring his thigh up before he even swivels his shin. If you make a big chest and flex your lats, you can sort of keep his thigh pushed back

- head position.. while some people are super flexible, it's easier for your opponent to slightly angle their body in an oma plata type direction. I like to drive my head under their chin in a way that prevents them from moving their head to that side

- control their hip.. just as many opponents like to move their head in oma plata direction, their hips swivel a little in the opposite direction. I like to post on my foot and drive my knee into that side of their hip, to keep their hips directly in front of me.

This points aren't so much of an escape as they are general prevention details as your opponent is working the over arm wrap and grabbing their shin or foot

13 days ago
4/2/13

Head butt.  If that fails, biting always works.