David Jacobs' BJJGround Who in your opinion gives the best seminars

12 days ago
8/19/19

I have had caio terra in and clark gracie in.  I thought I had Keenan scheduled,  but he had to cancel.  Marcelo is 10k and I'm not paying that.  Give me some ideas on who you enjoyed. 

12 days ago
6/14/11

As far as big names go, I thought Craig Jones taught an excellent seminar. Just 3-4 techniques with lots of time to drill. I was able to put his stuff to use right away too. I don’t know why some guys think they need to show 20 techniques in one class. 

12 days ago
3/15/15
Roy Harris
12 days ago
11/10/05

tussa, drysdale

12 days ago
1/1/01

Both Estima brothers.

12 days ago
8/28/10

Royce

12 days ago
8/2/05

I’ve had

Roger Gracie

Jeff Glover

Jake Shields

Mauricio Gomes

Ross Nichols

Chris Cleere

Kev Capel

and a few others but for me by far the best have been

Charles Negromonte and Daniel Strauss (raspberry ape) who is going to start teaching globally apparently so highly recommend him.

12 days ago
11/24/08

I've been to a ton over the years.  Henry Akins is my favorite...easily.  But, if you like Marcelo's approach, Paul Schreiner is an EXCELLENT teacher.  Heck, I think he can teach Marcelo's stuff probably as well as Marcelo.  

12 days ago
7/18/05

One guy I didn't expect to teach a good seminar but did a great job, Gordan Ryan.

Edited: 12 days ago
12/6/02
John Bernard Will, a master teacher with vast seminar experience, dirty-dozen, and still keen on knowing everything worth knowing under all rule-sets of the game. But he's normally booked out, you won't get him anytime soon.
Edited: 12 days ago
1/1/01
IME...

The Marcelos are good, most of the Andres are good, the Rodrigos are good and the Ricardos are good too.

Doesn't especially matter which ones.
12 days ago
5/11/08
shen - IME...

The Marcelos are good, most of the Andres are good, the Rodrigos are good and the Ricardos are good too.

Doesn't especially matter which ones.

This. Just make sure to stay away from anyone named Carlos.

12 days ago
2/8/11

IME a famous name doesn't seem to matter a whole lot. The problem with most seminars, is the instructor shows off some flashy stuff that never works in practice, and that everyone forgets about within a few weeks time.

Looking back on it all, the only good seminar was Gordan Ryan and Gary Tonon.

12 days ago
2/20/05

I recently had the opportunity to attend a week long John Thomas seminar and he was an excellent teacher.  

12 days ago
2/28/03

Tony Robbins 

12 days ago
2/15/14
Adrian Street -

I have had caio terra in and clark gracie in.  I thought I had Keenan scheduled,  but he had to cancel.  Marcelo is 10k and I'm not paying that.  Give me some ideas on who you enjoyed. 

How was Caio? Ive heard some horror stories about his seminars

11 days ago
5/8/11

Rener superhooks seminar was pretty good.

11 days ago
8/19/19
mideastgrappler - 
Adrian Street -

How was Caio? Ive heard some horror stories about his seminars

I loved what he showed and I actually use it a good bit while rolling. But he was not very personable. I took him to dinner afterwards with some of my students and he just stayed on his phone the entire time.

Clark Gracie was amazing. Best seminar and nicest guy that I have ever had in
11 days ago
8/19/19
Anyone know the cost on Xande Ribeiro?
11 days ago
5/11/08
XmmaAddictX -

I recently had the opportunity to attend a week long John Thomas seminar and he was an excellent teacher.  

He's putting out amazing free content on YouTube and Instagram. Seems like an incredible teacher, and coming from Alliance Atlanta I guess it shouldn't be a big surprise. 

11 days ago
3/2/04

I've been to lots of them (Rickson, Rolles Jr, Roger Gracie, Victor Estima, etc) but in terms of seminars that have had a genuine impact on my game (i.e., I learned something I still use now, regularly):

The late, great Dave Jacobs (crucifix entries and subs)

Charles Harriott (leglock safety, plus how to RNC when they tuck their chin without smashing up their jaw)

John Will (good session on arm triangles, but the main thing I took away from it was how he has everybody facing the same way, talking through the techniques step by step. Really handy approach to teaching)

Ana Yagues (deep de la Riva x, where you extend your de la Riva hook through to make it into x guard)

Neil Owen (lots of stuff, but particularly something he called 'classic guard', along with the simple spider guard tip to foot your foot on the shoulder rather than the crook of the elbow)

Nathan Leverton (a load of handy tips on turtle, particularly his tips on the side ride)

Along with various others. These days, I tend to go to BJJ camps instead of seminars, which have also been incredibly useful for adding things to my game. Most recently, biggest thing was Heather Raftery's session at the Heidelberg BJJ Globetrotter Camp last year, on using the Lucas Lepri style swivel to dogfight from quarter guard. I use that all the time now. 

Write ups of most of those here, if anybody is curious: http://www.slideyfoot.com/search/label/seminar

11 days ago
1/1/01

slideyfoot, one of my big regrets is not bringing TPK over for a seminar ... always thought we had time.  RIP TPK.

11 days ago
3/2/04
RedDragonUK -

I’ve had

Roger Gracie

Jeff Glover

Jake Shields

Mauricio Gomes

Ross Nichols

Chris Cleere

Kev Capel

and a few others but for me by far the best have been

Charles Negromonte and Daniel Strauss (raspberry ape) who is going to start teaching globally apparently so highly recommend him.

Kev Capel is amazing, but then I'm very biased, as he's my instructor. What I especially like about him is that not only is he an excellent teacher, he's one of the few people I've met in BJJ who genuinely doesn't seem motivated by money. People say "he's a good guy" all the time in BJJ, but I really mean it with Kev (hence why I've stuck with him despite moving to a different city). 

11 days ago
11/11/11

Surprisingly Josh Barnett has been my favorite seminar

11 days ago
1/1/01

Jack Taufer obviously.