David Jacobs' BJJGround Who in your opinion gives the best seminars

11 days ago
1/1/01
A lot of time how "good"a seminar is is directly related to how pertinent the info being taught is to you. If you are not "ready" for the material being taught or it's not stuff that you care about, the seminar is never going to be great for you.

I'll tell you one guy that impressed me was Judoka Mike Swain. He taught a seminar that was BJJ white belts with zero take-downs skills all they way up to very experienced judoka and it seemed to me that everyone in the room got something out of it.

I was like: wow, this guy knows how to teach.

--Oh, and it was free too!
11 days ago
9/13/16
in my experience, most of the guys that teach a lot of seminars are pretty good teachers. the ones i have seen have all been knowledgable, professional, and have taught their techniques well. i think that you have to be if teaching seminars is a good part of your income. the exception might be the real big names (some of the gracies) who know that they can do what they want and people will still invite them for seminars.

like shen said, it really comes down to what you and your students want to learn and what they're ready to learn. i'd start with that and then look into people that teach those types of things.

if you want a name, i think that henry akins is good. he teaches really fundamental stuff but i think his details on them are solid. but that is the kind of stuff i'm working on so i'm biased of course. you and your students might fight his stuff boring.
11 days ago
12/24/10

I have had numerous guys do seminars thru the years along with training at some of the best spots. If I had to grade - Braulio Estima was amazing. Taught concepts and use so much of what he taught to this day. Keenan was also a great instructor who taught great stuff and rolled with everyone. Miao was amazing if he could speak English I can only imagine how much better it could be. Bernardo Faria was awesome. Great personality and taught extremely well. Matt Serra is the man. Has a very slick game and his personality makes it a fun time. Paul Schreiner is also another good guy to learn from.

10 days ago
12/6/02

slideyfoot - can you share any details about RNC not smashing their jaw when they bury the chin?

10 days ago
3/2/04
kingabiu -

slideyfoot - can you share any details about RNC not smashing their jaw when they bury the chin?

I can do better, here's a link to the video of the whole thing: https://www.bjjglobetrotters.com/winter-camp-2019-choke-theory-finish-more-chokes-without-gassing-your-arms-with-charles-harriott/

10 days ago
3/2/04
slideyfoot -
kingabiu -

I can do better, here's a link to the video of the whole thing: https://www.bjjglobetrotters.com/winter-camp-2019-choke-theory-finish-more-chokes-without-gassing-your-arms-with-charles-harriott/

That's the hour long BJJ Globetrotters Camp version. I liked that one so much I invited him down to my club, where he taught a several hour seminar on the same topic. I then taught it in turn myself, here: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/artemisbjjrnc/

10 days ago
6/4/02

Rob Kahn.

10 days ago
11/2/12

Jake Mackenzie, puts on great seminar and has a lot of practice at it . Really personable and treats a white belt question the same as a black 

Edited: 10 days ago
12/6/02

thank you! very much 

10 days ago
6/24/05
Michelle Nicolini puts on a good seminar
10 days ago
6/2/05

I personally thought Rorion was a fantastic instructor.

9 days ago
3/2/04
GB Dave Jr -

I personally thought Rorion was a fantastic instructor.

I've heard that a few times. Is there footage of him teaching aside from the old Gracie Jiu Jitsu tapes (which featured the infamous Gracie Gift)? It would be very interested to see him teaching in a class setting. I've met him once, but very brief, didn't get the chance to take a class.

9 days ago
11/10/05
Mike Wazowski - 

Rob Kahn.

I do a variation of cross face that has a bit of my own style but it's totally built upon his video of this techique as the foundation of it.

9 days ago
2/5/06
checkuroil -

Tony Robbins 

In couldn’t do the fire walk. 

8 days ago
8/30/09

Dustin Denes

8 days ago
4/11/07

I'd like to add two people that have at times fundementally changed my jiu jitsu, and I will go out of my way if possible to train with, they're that awesome

This forums own Aaron Lapointe. I'm privileged in that we're teammates and he's a good friend of our academies, that being said his seminars etc are fantastic, he's a great teacher and has amazing jiu jitsu, and focuses a lot on concepts not just foot here, hand there stuff, I first trained with Aaron as a white belt and his concepts of control (head, hooks/hips, grips) resonated and is a fundamental part of my game. (I'll let him explain in this or another thread if he sees) I've never trained with him and not taken something away that can immediately be used. If you get a chance by all means do yourself a favor and train with Aaron, he has a fantastic and inspirational story, can't say enough good things, a great human.

Hannette Staack, 100% changed my game, amazing teacher, amazing jiu jitsu. Again I would go out of my way to train with her. For all my training partners who laughingly bemoan my passing as especially side control pressure and think it's because I modeled myself after wallid (partially true) it's mainly hannette, she (and my instructor Goatfury) changed the way I approach passing in general and side control in particular (amongst other things) she's fantastic and a great person

8 days ago
5/11/09

Best: Rafa and Gui Mendes 

Worst: BJ Penn and there isn’t even a close second. Couldn’t have been a bigger asshole if he tried. 

At one seminar, Rafa spent over two hours just covering guard retention when seated against a standing opponent when you have no grips and it was two of the most valuable hours of jiu-jitsu I’ve ever had. 

8 days ago
1/1/01
juanderlei - 

Worst: BJ Penn and there isn’t even a close second. Couldn’t have been a bigger asshole if he tried. 

At one seminar, Rafa spent over two hours just covering guard retention when seated against a standing opponent when you have no grips and it was two of the most valuable hours of jiu-jitsu I’ve ever had. 

I have no experience with BJ Penn, but the BJJ world is weird; many times the biggest pricks are the most celebrated people.

I've had experience, for example, with a couple Gracies that taught me there is literally NOTHING a Gracie can do that people will not continue to kiss his ass.

8 days ago
2/15/14
juanderlei -

what happened with the BJ Penn seminar?

I've been to one or two, the guy really has no idea how to teach at all, or he just doesn't give a f**k

8 days ago
5/8/11
joemasepoes -

Dustin Denes

Chop certified...he gave a 3 hour semenar on side control...and cracked my rib.  It was awesome and painful at the same time.

Edited: 8 days ago
5/11/09
mideastgrappler -
juanderlei -

I've been to one or two, the guy really has no idea how to teach at all, or he just doesn't give a f**k

It was at a RVCA seminar in Times Square with the Mendes Bros and BJ. They only sold 60 tickets, so it was supposed to be an intimate event. The Mendes Bros were both on the mat, in their gis 30 minutes before the seminar started introducing themselves to everyone. At that time BJ was sitting on the wall in shorts and a t-shirt with his face in his phone. Both brothers taught and were very engaging while BJ never left the window sill. Then, when it was his turn to teach, he jumped down and put his gi on. He didn’t even circle everyone up to let them he was about to teach a technique, he just grabbed Shaolin, put him in bottom half and started rushing through the most basic half guard pass you’ve ever seen. He just dug for an under hook, cut his knee across to 3/4 mount, then to mount, then walked away and left everyone to drill this lol. Then after a few minutes, we all see him drilling a similar technique with Shaolin, only this time getting the near side under hook. After showing the two moves he went back into his own little world. Shaolin was just as arrogant and unwelcoming as BJ to be honest. That was my first seminar with the Mendes Bros and I’ve been to several since and have always walked away with legit concepts that can be applied to my specific game. 

8 days ago
5/11/09
shen -
juanderlei - 

I have no experience with BJ Penn, but the BJJ world is weird; many times the biggest pricks are the most celebrated people.

I've had experience, for example, with a couple Gracies that taught me there is literally NOTHING a Gracie can do that people will not continue to kiss his ass.

The primary reason I went to that seminar was to see what it would be like to learn from BJ in the gi. Well I found out lol. The crazy thing is that the RVCA guys were there and he wasn’t any warmer with them or the Mendes Bros than he was with the people that paid a bunch of money to attend. He was not only a complete dickhead, but he seemed to go out of his way to make himself as unapproachable and cold as possible to the attendees. Mission accomplished lol. 

6 days ago
2/15/14
juanderlei -
mideastgrappler -
juanderlei -

It was at a RVCA seminar in Times Square with the Mendes Bros and BJ. They only sold 60 tickets, so it was supposed to be an intimate event. The Mendes Bros were both on the mat, in their gis 30 minutes before the seminar started introducing themselves to everyone. At that time BJ was sitting on the wall in shorts and a t-shirt with his face in his phone. Both brothers taught and were very engaging while BJ never left the window sill. Then, when it was his turn to teach, he jumped down and put his gi on. He didn’t even circle everyone up to let them he was about to teach a technique, he just grabbed Shaolin, put him in bottom half and started rushing through the most basic half guard pass you’ve ever seen. He just dug for an under hook, cut his knee across to 3/4 mount, then to mount, then walked away and left everyone to drill this lol. Then after a few minutes, we all see him drilling a similar technique with Shaolin, only this time getting the near side under hook. After showing the two moves he went back into his own little world. Shaolin was just as arrogant and unwelcoming as BJ to be honest. That was my first seminar with the Mendes Bros and I’ve been to several since and have always walked away with legit concepts that can be applied to my specific game. 

I'm not surprised about your experience with BJ. I've been to a seminar with BJ that was $100 and another seminar of his that was free. In both those seminars, he taught that same half guard pass you explained LOL.

I am shocked about your experience with Shaolin however. WHat was bad about SHaolin? I've trained with him for extended times before and he really cares and focuses on the new white belts as much as his more experienced students. He does have a very intense personality and wants to give his all into teachings to make it a good experience for students. Perhaps he was caught flustered with everything going on? 

6 days ago
12/1/00
Marcelo Garcia :)

He teaches the moves that won him his multiple world championships in gi / no gi- nothing flashy or unnecessarily fancy. He cares about if you get the moves right and will happily answer questions.

He's also very professional- he will start on time, won't play on his cell phone or pay special attention to a specific group of people, etc.
6 days ago
8/19/19
kying418 - Marcelo Garcia :)

He teaches the moves that won him his multiple world championships in gi / no gi- nothing flashy or unnecessarily fancy. He cares about if you get the moves right and will happily answer questions.

He's also very professional- he will start on time, won't play on his cell phone or pay special attention to a specific group of people, etc.

he wants 10k