^ I had no idea....good for him :)
6 days ago
5/11/09
mideastgrappler -
juanderlei -
mideastgrappler -
juanderlei -

Best: Rafa and Gui Mendes 

Worst: BJ Penn and there isn’t even a close second. Couldn’t have been a bigger asshole if he tried. 

At one seminar, Rafa spent over two hours just covering guard retention when seated against a standing opponent when you have no grips and it was two of the most valuable hours of jiu-jitsu I’ve ever had. 

what happened with the BJ Penn seminar?

I've been to one or two, the guy really has no idea how to teach at all, or he just doesn't give a f**k

It was at a RVCA seminar in Times Square with the Mendes Bros and BJ. They only sold 60 tickets, so it was supposed to be an intimate event. The Mendes Bros were both on the mat, in their gis 30 minutes before the seminar started introducing themselves to everyone. At that time BJ was sitting on the wall in shorts and a t-shirt with his face in his phone. Both brothers taught and were very engaging while BJ never left the window sill. Then, when it was his turn to teach, he jumped down and put his gi on. He didn’t even circle everyone up to let them he was about to teach a technique, he just grabbed Shaolin, put him in bottom half and started rushing through the most basic half guard pass you’ve ever seen. He just dug for an under hook, cut his knee across to 3/4 mount, then to mount, then walked away and left everyone to drill this lol. Then after a few minutes, we all see him drilling a similar technique with Shaolin, only this time getting the near side under hook. After showing the two moves he went back into his own little world. Shaolin was just as arrogant and unwelcoming as BJ to be honest. That was my first seminar with the Mendes Bros and I’ve been to several since and have always walked away with legit concepts that can be applied to my specific game. 

I'm not surprised about your experience with BJ. I've been to a seminar with BJ that was $100 and another seminar of his that was free. In both those seminars, he taught that same half guard pass you explained LOL.

I am shocked about your experience with Shaolin however. WHat was bad about SHaolin? I've trained with him for extended times before and he really cares and focuses on the new white belts as much as his more experienced students. He does have a very intense personality and wants to give his all into teachings to make it a good experience for students. Perhaps he was caught flustered with everything going on? 

Shaolin didn’t say anything to be an asshole, he just made no attempt to make anyone feel welcome. He stood at the edge of the mat just kinda glaring at most of us as we walked on the mat. Didn’t introduce himself to anyone or even say a word I don’t think. 

I expected him to be a little more cordial considering the seminar was being held at his academy, but I understand that he isn’t obligated to do any of these things. 

6 days ago
1/1/01
I notice my name hasn't been brought up... Which is not surprising as BJJ tends to suffer from a lot of group think and doesn't accept innovation until an authority figure embraces it.

Fact is, I am the ONLY instructor out there bringing a legendary dojo to where you are. GM Shen's "Mobile Sendokan Experience", brings the Shendokan to You!

A highly modified 1996 International School Bus has been turned into a the "Shendo-Go" --a pint sized version of the famed Shendokan Dojo in Palmdale Heights, CA.

Some random Google Reviews:

"OK, I guess. Not really familiar with martial arts, but it seemed fine. I kept bumping against the walls though."

"Interesting concept, execution was lacking. Really liked GM Shen's Silk martial arts outfits --he had several-- but he talked a LOT."

"AMAZING!!!! My friends and I LOVED it. We were SOOO f-ing high. It was like an escape room or something, but WAY weirder. Would do again!"

"My boyfriend paid for me to go. I am still fuming: The instructor HIT A CHILD with a karate chop causing the child to go semi-conscious.I am a nurse, that is NOT OK to do to a child!!! Stay away from this clown-mobile!"

"My step-son loves the martial arts and it's the only thing he has stuck with so please support this karate car experiment of his. I helped with some of the interior decorating and it looks pretty nice."

6 days ago
10/14/03
shen - I notice my name hasn't been brought up... Which is not surprising as BJJ tends to suffer from a lot of group think and doesn't accept innovation until an authority figure embraces it.

Fact is, I am the ONLY instructor out there bringing a legendary dojo to where you are. GM Shen's "Mobile Sendokan Experience", brings the Shendokan to You!

A highly modified 1996 International School Bus has been turned into a the "Shendo-Go" --a pint sized version of the famed Shendokan Dojo in Palmdale Heights, CA.

"OK, I guess. Not really familiar with martial arts, but it seemed fine. I kept bumping against the walls though."

"Interesting concept, execution was lacking. Really liked GM Shen's Silk martial arts outfits --he had several-- but he talked a LOT."

"AMAZING!!!! My friends and I LOVED it. We were SOOO f-ing high. It was like an escape room or something, but WAY weirder. Would do again!"

"My boyfriend paid for me to go. I am still fuming: The instructor HIT A CHILD with a karate chop causing the child to go semi-conscious.I am a nurse, that is NOT OK to do to a child!!! Stay away from this clown-mobile!"

"My step-son loves the martial arts and it's the only thing he has stuck with so please support this karate car experiment of his. I helped with some of the interior decorating and it looks pretty nice."

Those Google reviews are Gold!
6 days ago
12/1/00
Shen has some really great technique videos...I'm sure his seminars would be excellent.
5 days ago
1/1/01
shen - I notice my name hasn't been brought up... Which is not surprising as BJJ tends to suffer from a lot of group think and doesn't accept innovation until an authority figure embraces it.

Hahahaha, brilliant.  And might I add, groundbreaking!  Mobile Dojos are a future I want to live in.

5 days ago
10/25/05

Reilly Bodycomb is an excellent teacher. His seminar was great. 

5 days ago
12/26/02
kying418 - Marcelo Garcia :)

He teaches the moves that won him his multiple world championships in gi / no gi- nothing flashy or unnecessarily fancy. He cares about if you get the moves right and will happily answer questions.

He's also very professional- he will start on time, won't play on his cell phone or pay special attention to a specific group of people, etc.

It makes me a little sad that these are the benchmarks for a "great" seminar. 

I say none of that to take away from MG and anyone else who delivers a quality experience.  But man, if our standard for excellence is cares whether you get it, answers questions, starts on time, doesn't play on cell phone, and doesn't ignore groups of attendees...