David Jacobs' BJJGround Winning by points in BJJ vs Wrestling

16 days ago
4/26/13

Thought crossed my mind today how so many in the BJJ community love to scoff at wins by points.  Either about themselves or high level matches.  If you need examples just check out the comments on your favorite BJJ FB Page.

Ive never heard a wrestler say “he didn’t pin me.  He beat me on points so I dont really care”

Is wrestling now ineffective in MMA or the street because you can win by a points based strategy?

Gotta say it feels like loser mentality 

16 days ago
11/2/12
Easters -

Thought crossed my mind today how so many in the BJJ community love to scoff at wins by points.  Either about themselves or high level matches.  If you need examples just check out the comments on your favorite BJJ FB Page.

Ive never heard a wrestler say “he didn’t pin me.  He beat me on points so I dont really care”

Is wrestling now ineffective in MMA or the street because you can win by a points based strategy?

Gotta say it feels like loser mentality 

Submission has more finality than a pin , sport or otherwise 

Edited: 16 days ago
7/30/03

Who cares about a pin is what I say. Winning by pin is the dumbest sport rule in grappling ever. It is why you still see judoka and wrestlers instinctively give up their back. 

16 days ago
4/26/13
Calhoon -

Who cares about a pin is what I say. Winning by pin is the dumbest sport rule in grappling ever. It is why you still see judoka and wrestlers instinctively give up their back. 

Not really the point of the thread but ok

16 days ago
2/1/08
Calhoon -

Not really.  Being able to pin someone down and stop them from escaping is a very useful fighting skill.  Ben askren made a career off of it.  

16 days ago
4/26/13

*envisions Calhoun walking into his local high school wrestling practice talking about how pins are useless*

Edited: 15 days ago
7/30/03
misterw -
Calhoon -

Not really.  Being able to pin someone down and stop them from escaping is a very useful fighting skill.  Ben askren made a career off of it.  

There is a big difference in controlling and pinning. Ben has control and that is why he fights so good but while control is needed to pin the control isn’t always the same kind of control that is needed in a fight. In sport wrestling wrestlers belly down as soon as they find their self on bottom and that along with the different objectives between fighting and sport wrestling changes the control needed. Some of wrestling control is good because a wrestler learns how to keep them on the ground but the objectives on the ground for a wrestler is much different in sport wrestling than it is for a wrestler in mma. In sport they are looking for turnovers and pins but who cares if someone can touch a mans shoulders to the ground for two seconds? The rule itself does way more harm than good because the rule is what causes the belly down response in the first place. The belly down response is horrible for a fight, not only does it put them in a horrible position but a pure wrestler never learns how to fight off his back.  Watch catch wrestling and they can’t play the guard right because they are afraid of being pinned. At least in Judo the pin is 25 seconds to win. That has merit for a real fight because there are times when you will need to escape immediately but in Judo you see guys belly down or go to turtle to look for a standup instead of learning to get back to their feet on their own which is also bad. It’s a dumb rule. Change my mind.

7/30/03
Easters -

*envisions Calhoun walking into his local high school wrestling practice talking about how pins are useless*

I didn’t say a pin is useless. Pinning has great benefits in a fight. A pin generally puts you in a position where there is potential to end a fight and a pin can be used to cause an opponent to use energy trying to escape.I see the benefit in pinning. bjj has some of the best pins that translate to a fight. I never said a pin is useless, I said the rule of winning by a pin is a dumb rule because it creates some bad habits from bottom position.

7/30/03
Easters -
Calhoon -

The reason guys want a finish in bjj is because there is a difference in pinning and finishing a fight. Positioning is good but it’s not as good as a finish. Guys can stay safe in bad positions without taking any damage at all. It all comes back to my response. Winning by pin is at least one of the dumbest rule in grappling.

15 days ago
2/15/14
Calhoon -
Easters -
Calhoon -

The reason guys want a finish in bjj is because there is a difference in pinning and finishing a fight. Positioning is good but it’s not as good as a finish. Guys can stay safe in bad positions without taking any damage at all. It all comes back to my response. Winning by pin is at least one of the dumbest rule in grappling.

winning by pin is oneof the oldest forms of dominance in grappling because when you pinned someone, you restrained them long enough to pull out your weapon to stab them and kill them

It is very hard to pin someone against their will. its obvious you have never wrestled in your life

14 days ago
7/30/03
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
Easters -
Calhoon -

winning by pin is oneof the oldest forms of dominance in grappling because when you pinned someone, you restrained them long enough to pull out your weapon to stab them and kill them

It is very hard to pin someone against their will. its obvious you have never wrestled in your life

The rule of pinning in wrestling specifically requires the shoulders to be pinned down. As I said, to get around this the wrestlers go belly down. Going belly down wouldn’t prevent anyone from being stabbed and killed so your point doesn’t counter what I said. I have already said that I understand the usefullness of pinning but the rule itself for sport is a dumb rule that takes the sport farther away from reality instead of bringing it closer.

14 days ago
6/29/09

I think someone said it, but it sounds a lot like you need to go to your local junior college and wrestle some before you make that assumption. It is very difficult to pin someone against their will, the same way it’s very difficult to submit someone against their will. Both skills are incredibly useful in grappling, if you disagree, I think you might be thinking too literally about the word “pin”.

14 days ago
4/26/13
Joseph Gutierrez -

I think someone said it, but it sounds a lot like you need to go to your local junior college and wrestle some before you make that assumption. It is very difficult to pin someone against their will, the same way it’s very difficult to submit someone against their will. Both skills are incredibly useful in grappling, if you disagree, I think you might be thinking too literally about the word “pin”.

Exactly.  We can't just fight each other all day so it's important to have different "sports" for the various facets of grappling.  I would say the SPORTS of wrestling, judo, BJJ, and submission grappling all compliment each other well and create avenues for practitioners to take the art to the highest level.  People shit on the rules of IBJJF, but think about how much we've learned about the guard position (submissions, sweeps, retention, intermediary positions) just because of the fact sweeps are worth 2 points.  Wrestling and judo have done the same 

11 days ago
2/1/08
Calhoon -
misterw -
Calhoon -

There is a big difference in controlling and pinning. Ben has control and that is why he fights so good but while control is needed to pin the control isn’t always the same kind of control that is needed in a fight. In sport wrestling wrestlers belly down as soon as they find their self on bottom and that along with the different objectives between fighting and sport wrestling changes the control needed. Some of wrestling control is good because a wrestler learns how to keep them on the ground but the objectives on the ground for a wrestler is much different in sport wrestling than it is for a wrestler in mma. In sport they are looking for turnovers and pins but who cares if someone can touch a mans shoulders to the ground for two seconds? The rule itself does way more harm than good because the rule is what causes the belly down response in the first place. The belly down response is horrible for a fight, not only does it put them in a horrible position but a pure wrestler never learns how to fight off his back.  Watch catch wrestling and they can’t play the guard right because they are afraid of being pinned. At least in Judo the pin is 25 seconds to win. That has merit for a real fight because there are times when you will need to escape immediately but in Judo you see guys belly down or go to turtle to look for a standup instead of learning to get back to their feet on their own which is also bad. It’s a dumb rule. Change my mind.

While you wouldn't pin in exactly the same way in a fight, being an amazing pinner like askren means you have a number of skills that do transfer over.  

Bellying down to escape is not necessarily horrible in a fight, you see lots of MMA fighters temporarily go to turtle  position and stand to regain their feet.  

Edited: 11 days ago
8/20/16

Different mindset. You can't cripple or murder somebody with a pin so both parties in a wrestling match are merely trying to play a physical game. Losing the game is losing the game.

In BJJ, you ARE trying to apply moves that would murder or cripple your opponent and trusting that he'll tap out first. If someone is unable to end the fight and is awarded a victory based points, the truth of the matter is that he didn't finish you and without time limits you may have been able to finish him.

11 days ago
2/15/14
Calhoon -
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
Easters -
Calhoon -

The rule of pinning in wrestling specifically requires the shoulders to be pinned down. As I said, to get around this the wrestlers go belly down. Going belly down wouldn’t prevent anyone from being stabbed and killed so your point doesn’t counter what I said. I have already said that I understand the usefullness of pinning but the rule itself for sport is a dumb rule that takes the sport farther away from reality instead of bringing it closer.

bellying down would mean they could build to turtle fast enough to run off and escape as opposed to being stuck on your back

BJJ practitioners are quite the whiny losers when they cant submit someone and they don't understand how close high level competitors are to each other. SO when they dont see a submission or are unable to submit and dont have the skills to dominate someone else, they use the excuse of "I didn't get submitted" or "he only beat me on points"

Wrestlers are on the other hand, always up and up and often compete against competitiors close to their level and understand that not every match will be a blowout

10 days ago
7/30/03
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
Easters -
Calhoon -

bellying down would mean they could build to turtle fast enough to run off and escape as opposed to being stuck on your back

BJJ practitioners are quite the whiny losers when they cant submit someone and they don't understand how close high level competitors are to each other. SO when they dont see a submission or are unable to submit and dont have the skills to dominate someone else, they use the excuse of "I didn't get submitted" or "he only beat me on points"

Wrestlers are on the other hand, always up and up and often compete against competitiors close to their level and understand that not every match will be a blowout

It's safer to get back to your feet from guard.

10 days ago
11/2/12
Calhoon -
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
Easters -
Calhoon -

Much harder too though 

10 days ago
7/30/03
Chadsaw -
Calhoon -
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
Easters -
Calhoon -

Much harder too though 

That's debateable I guess. I find it much easier.

10 days ago
11/2/12
Calhoon -
Chadsaw -
Calhoon -
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
Easters -
Calhoon -

Much harder too though 

Much easier ? Are they standing ? 

10 days ago
1/1/01
Here's the thing: what goes on in the ring or mat in combat sports like Boxing, Judo, Bjj, Muay Thai and Wrestling is NOT A FIGHT.

Plain and simple. What you are witnessing in any combat sport is two people from the same sportive discipline pitting and testing their skills/abilities against each other in order to see who is the better person in that particular combat sport. They compete against each other using techniques from their discipline under rules which govern the fair and proper use of those techniques.

In other words, wrestler WRESTLE when they compete against each other... boxers BOX when they compete against each other... you get the point. If a wrestler does something outside and beyond what wrestlers do when they wrestle... well, logically that wrestler is no longer wrestling but is doing something else. American Football players in an American Football game don't kick the ball around like it's done in soccer and soccer players in a soccer game don't run with the ball like it's done in American Football. Different sports.

Comparing any combat sport to a "fight" is stupid. It is a category mistake. It is like comparing apples and oranges. Wrestlers don't fight each other when they compete against each other... THEY WRESTLE!
10 days ago
4/26/13
Calhoon -
Chadsaw -
Calhoon -
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
Easters -
Calhoon -

Much harder too though 

I find this hard to believe 

10 days ago
4/26/13
m.g - Here's the thing: what goes on in the ring or mat in combat sports like Boxing, Judo, Bjj, Muay Thai and Wrestling is NOT A FIGHT.

Plain and simple. What you are witnessing in any combat sport is two people from the same sportive discipline pitting and testing their skills/abilities against each other in order to see who is the better person in that particular combat sport. They compete against each other using techniques from their discipline under rules which govern the fair and proper use of those techniques.

In other words, wrestler WRESTLE when they compete against each other... boxers BOX when they compete against each other... you get the point. If a wrestler does something outside and beyond what wrestlers do when they wrestle... well, logically that wrestler is no longer wrestling but is doing something else. American Football players in an American Football game don't kick the ball around like it's done in soccer and soccer players in a soccer game don't run with the ball like it's done in American Football. Different sports.

Comparing any combat sport to a "fight" is stupid. It is a category mistake. It is like comparing apples and oranges. Wrestlers don't fight each other when they compete against each other... THEY WRESTLE!

AMEN

10 days ago
12/31/10

I mean, it's a sporting event with rules and a scoring system. So if you lost on points, you lost on points. I would agree taking somebody straight down and choking them is more dominant than being mostly in neutral positions the entire match and then one guy gets a guard pass late in the match--but the athlete with the most points still won. Because I have some wrestling background and good pressure on top, I have definitely won matches on points against guys who I felt were probably better at jiu jtisu than me--if we had been just rolling with no time limit, there might have been more chance that they would eventually get me. But I was still happy enough to win the match. I was executing what I wanted to do under the rules of the contest--maybe not executing entirely, to get the finish,  but more fully than they did. I do think refs should call stalling if somebody is not trying to improve position and set up a submission.

I don't think the "well in a real fight" argument has any relevance--we're talking a sport, not a fight. It's a combat sport, but still a sport. I've had matches I lost where I spent most of the match in very dominant top positions. If it had been a fight, I would have been able to possibly TKO him with strikes. But the guy ended up defending submission attemps and then catching me. I didn't think, well--if it was a fight I would have smashed him while he was underneath me. I thought, fuck, that guy managed to pull out a nice win by doing that one particular thing better than me at that one particular moment.  

I did one particular tournament a few times where they had a system of scoring that only gave out a single point for anything and only gave a point for moving from a neutral position to a more dominant position--you could get a point for a takedown and another point if you got side control, mount or back. But you couldn't get points for going from side control to mount or mount to back. So the most ahead you could get in a match was 2-0 and they also gave a point for reclaiming guard or escaping back to the feet--for reclaiming a neutral position from the inferior position. It seemed pretty much designed to take away the wrestler's advantage of just racking up points early and forced a lot more submission attempts. 

10 days ago
7/30/03
Chadsaw -
Calhoon -
Chadsaw -
Calhoon -
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
mideastgrappler -
Calhoon -
Easters -
Calhoon -

Much harder too though 

Much easier ? Are they standing ? 

Any position.

If he is kneeling then he is either putting on pressure where he is vulnerable to attacks (sweeps, transitions, or submissions) or he is posturing where you create distance, frame, and stand up.