David Jacobs' BJJGround Xande's guard retention DVD

8/5/19 4:03 PM
8/20/16

Anyone know when it's going to be released? I can't find a date on the BJJ Fanatics website.

Here's a preview:

8/6/19 3:50 AM
3/2/04

Cool! Judging by BJJ Library and that excellent DVD set he put out a few years ago, I much prefer Xande's teaching style compared to Danaher. He's comes across as a reassuringly chilled out personality. Though I'm still curious to read more reviews of the Danaher one. 

Edited: 8/6/19 9:20 AM
1/1/01
slideyfoot - 

Cool! Judging by BJJ Library and that excellent DVD set he put out a few years ago, I much prefer Xande's teaching compared to Danaher. He's comes across as a reassuringly chilled out personality. Though I'm still curious to read more reviews of the Danaher one. 

Does Xande usually teach in a step by step manner though? He seems friendly and engaging for sure but a bit all over the place in the above clip. To be more specific, Danaher obviously precisely chooses the words he uses. Xande randomly throws in some general quotes about training in kind of a hyper way that seem to have little to do with the specific point he's trying to make.
8/6/19 2:21 PM
3/2/04

I'd say his teaching is generally very good, I wouldn't go off just the above video. His older DVD was great and I've gotten a lot out of his vids on BJJ Library. Danaher I find a lot more difficult to learn from, Xande is normally a lot more concise by comparison. But your mileage may vary.

8/6/19 2:23 PM
2/28/03

Saulo and he are the best instructors I’ve had.  Their attention to the fights within the fights are unparalleled 

8/6/19 2:31 PM
1/1/01
Good feedback thanks. Do you feel Danaher over explains and over complicates?
8/6/19 6:18 PM
8/20/16
FatBuddha - Good feedback thanks. Do you feel Danaher over explains and over complicates?

I think Danaher breaks things down so precisely and explains each component so carefully that even the dumbest person watching will understand. My open guard is terrible and it's for this reason that I'm benefiting from his guard retention DVD.

HOWEVER, when I watch his DVDs on a position I'm strong in... it's pretty freaking unbearable.

8/6/19 6:20 PM
8/20/16

Also, Xande's last DVD set was incredible and really helped me. I love his style and want to roll like him.

An unrelated thought: as someone who finds myself escaping from North South a lot, I wonder why I've never seen any North South escapes from the Ribeiros. do they just never wind up on the bottom of North South?

8/6/19 10:03 PM
1/1/01
blabbermouth - 
FatBuddha - Good feedback thanks. Do you feel Danaher over explains and over complicates?

I think Danaher breaks things down so precisely and explains each component so carefully that even the dumbest person watching will understand. My open guard is terrible and it's for this reason that I'm benefiting from his guard retention DVD.

HOWEVER, when I watch his DVDs on a position I'm strong in... it's pretty freaking unbearable.

gotcha
Edited: 8/9/19 2:59 AM
3/20/14
blabbermouth -

Also, Xande's last DVD set was incredible and really helped me. I love his style and want to roll like him.

An unrelated thought: as someone who finds myself escaping from North South a lot, I wonder why I've never seen any North South escapes from the Ribeiros. do they just never wind up on the bottom of North South?

If his guard has not been passed in competition in 14 years then yeah; I would say he’s never in that position except in training, at best

8/9/19 12:48 PM
2/6/07
checkuroil -

Saulo and he are the best instructors I’ve had.  Their attention to the fights within the fights are unparalleled 

Just gonna echo this here because I dont think it got as much attention as it should've.  Training with the Ribeiros was my first experience with learning about these "fights within fights".  To be a bit more specific, each battle (i.e passing the guard) had its own group of fights that needed to be won in order to effectively pass, kinda like checkpoints.  Once all the checkpoints had be cleared, then the pass was iminent.  Obviously it was far more detailed than that (with examples and explanation), but ever since learning that way, EVERYTHING i've done in training has had this perspective.

Happy to hear you're getting the good stuff CUO.

8/9/19 12:49 PM
2/6/07

I generally tend to wait for reviews prior to buying instructionals (and Danaher's long windedness has really worn me out), but the minute Xande's set is available they can absolutely TAKE MY MONEY!

8/9/19 3:12 PM
8/20/16
Toilet Steak™ -
checkuroil -

Just gonna echo this here because I dont think it got as much attention as it should've.  Training with the Ribeiros was my first experience with learning about these "fights within fights".  To be a bit more specific, each battle (i.e passing the guard) had its own group of fights that needed to be won in order to effectively pass, kinda like checkpoints.  Once all the checkpoints had be cleared, then the pass was iminent.  Obviously it was far more detailed than that (with examples and explanation), but ever since learning that way, EVERYTHING i've done in training has had this perspective.

how / where can I learn more about this?

8/9/19 3:43 PM
9/18/02
TTT
8/11/19 8:40 AM
6/23/12
Toilet Steak™ -
checkuroil -

Anyone know whether they teach much about these concepts on bjj library?

8/11/19 8:54 AM
4/24/07

Mozilla, yes. Very in depth, too. Xande has several series on his guard retention. 

I think for comprehensive knowledge that bjjlibrary is the the best site available. 

You get Saulo, Xande but also tons of other awesome people, old school, new school, judo. 

8/11/19 10:19 AM
3/2/04

Seconded on BJJ Library. Excellent site. Saulo and Xande are brilliant, but like vegard said, you also have a ton of guest instructors. E.g., I learned a lot from the Lucas Leite guest seminar on half guard to dogfight, that was about 20 short videos covering pretty much all the 'what ifs' you could want. Concise, solid technique. No twelve hour long Danaher lectures. ;)

8/11/19 3:05 PM
2/6/07
slideyfoot -

Seconded on BJJ Library. Excellent site. Saulo and Xande are brilliant, but like vegard said, you also have a ton of guest instructors. E.g., I learned a lot from the Lucas Leite guest seminar on half guard to dogfight, that was about 20 short videos covering pretty much all the 'what ifs' you could want. Concise, solid technique. No twelve hour long Danaher lectures. ;)

Lmao @ 12hr long Danaher lectures.  I'm also a member of BJJ Library, and out of ALL of the subscription sites i've been a member of, i'd say BJJ Library is my favorite.  If you want the new flavor of the month Jiu Jitsu you've got sites like AOJ, but i've found that if you want impenetrable fundamentals (with a nice mix of new school stuff) you cant beat BJJ Library.  You've got sound contingencies from practically everywhere and as far as I know it's one of the only sites where if the subscribers have questions they'll actually try to get it filmed for you.

CUO I think I should get a discount next month for pitching so hard.  Maybe even a free day pass lol.

8/11/19 3:50 PM
2/28/03
Toilet Steak™ -
slideyfoot -

Lmao @ 12hr long Danaher lectures.  I'm also a member of BJJ Library, and out of ALL of the subscription sites i've been a member of, i'd say BJJ Library is my favorite.  If you want the new flavor of the month Jiu Jitsu you've got sites like AOJ, but i've found that if you want impenetrable fundamentals (with a nice mix of new school stuff) you cant beat BJJ Library.  You've got sound contingencies from practically everywhere and as far as I know it's one of the only sites where if the subscribers have questions they'll actually try to get it filmed for you.

CUO I think I should get a discount next month for pitching so hard.  Maybe even a free day pass lol.

One percent off 

8/15/19 12:40 AM
9/29/13

I’ve watched all of Danahers stuff and I’ve been on bjjlibrary for a long time.  There’s some things that Saulo and Xande teach very well.  There’s other things that I can’t seem to make work for the life of me.  For example: Saulos classic guard opening.  I can never get that to work.  Ever.  Same thing with one of Saulos preemptive body positioning for guard retention.  Always got my back taken.  For some reason, I miss something in their conceptual lessons.

Danaher on the other hand...

Just from watching his dvds, I’ve gotten better at pretty much every aspect of my jiu jitsu. I am catching way more triangles and arm bars, I’m getting pin escapes more often then I used to.  And I’m hitting some really satisfying maki komis from turtle.  Something about the details he gives make it stick in my head when rolling and I have never even drilled it....just watched a few times and applied it.

so far I am not impressed with the guard retention dvd from Danaher though.  I get what he is saying, but I just haven’t been able to apply it.  I’ll check out xandes also

8/16/19 9:55 PM
7/30/03
blabbermouth -

Anyone know when it's going to be released? I can't find a date on the BJJ Fanatics website.

Here's a preview:

The release was suppose to be this week. I am looking forward to this.

28 days ago
10/25/02

23 days ago
9/29/13

Ive watched about 30minutes of Xandes instructional.  It seems like it’s missing an introduction or something.  Just jumps right into half guard smash escape talking about diamond concept with no explanation of what he’s referring to.  I’m guessing they are assuming people have watched the YouTube release with Bernardo?  I’m finding it kind of hard to follow, which is odd because xande is usually breaks down his stuff pretty clearly on bjjlibrary.  I also find it odd that in hundreds of vids on bjjlibrary, I’ve never seen a vid where he refers to the diamond concept at all.

23 days ago
2/28/03

The diamond is his hands on the shoulder 

23 days ago
12/26/02
mrblonde1281 - 

Ive watched about 30minutes of Xandes instructional.  It seems like it’s missing an introduction or something.  Just jumps right into half guard smash escape talking about diamond concept with no explanation of what he’s referring to.  I’m guessing they are assuming people have watched the YouTube release with Bernardo?  I’m finding it kind of hard to follow, which is odd because xande is usually breaks down his stuff pretty clearly on bjjlibrary.  I also find it odd that in hundreds of vids on bjjlibrary, I’ve never seen a vid where he refers to the diamond concept at all.

ugh this is what drives me crazy about so many instructors.

Don't assume I understand what's happening in your head. Provide the right kind of context and build up my mental models as we go. Otherwise, this is entertainment, not instruction.