David Jacobs' BJJGround Xande's guard retention DVD

23 days ago
7/30/03
twinkletoesCT -
mrblonde1281 - 

Ive watched about 30minutes of Xandes instructional.  It seems like it’s missing an introduction or something.  Just jumps right into half guard smash escape talking about diamond concept with no explanation of what he’s referring to.  I’m guessing they are assuming people have watched the YouTube release with Bernardo?  I’m finding it kind of hard to follow, which is odd because xande is usually breaks down his stuff pretty clearly on bjjlibrary.  I also find it odd that in hundreds of vids on bjjlibrary, I’ve never seen a vid where he refers to the diamond concept at all.

ugh this is what drives me crazy about so many instructors.

Don't assume I understand what's happening in your head. Provide the right kind of context and build up my mental models as we go. Otherwise, this is entertainment, not instruction. 

I’m pretty sure it’s bjj fanatics fault for getting the techniques out of order and not Xandes. 

The instruction by Xande is awesome.

23 days ago
8/20/16
twinkletoesCT -
mrblonde1281 - 

Ive watched about 30minutes of Xandes instructional.  It seems like it’s missing an introduction or something.  Just jumps right into half guard smash escape talking about diamond concept with no explanation of what he’s referring to.  I’m guessing they are assuming people have watched the YouTube release with Bernardo?  I’m finding it kind of hard to follow, which is odd because xande is usually breaks down his stuff pretty clearly on bjjlibrary.  I also find it odd that in hundreds of vids on bjjlibrary, I’ve never seen a vid where he refers to the diamond concept at all.

ugh this is what drives me crazy about so many instructors.

Don't assume I understand what's happening in your head. Provide the right kind of context and build up my mental models as we go. Otherwise, this is entertainment, not instruction. 

That sounds a lot like the Sakuraba videos they put out. It was really unstructured, like they basically recorded the BJJ version of an informal jam session.

23 days ago
3/20/14
checkuroil -

The diamond is his hands on the shoulder 

....I’ve seen comments on YT with some wondering what he was talking about. He talked abiut connecting knees to elbows. I sat on a chair placed my knees at my elbows (forcing me to lean over naturally) touched my thumbs together with palms out (I.e., as in framing shoulders you referenced) looked down and lo and behold there’s the diamond frame I gather he meant?  Maintaining that geometric integrity as one’s default position when defending the passing attempts is where the skill lies. Been working on this concept with some pretty decent success.

23 days ago
2/27/08
This seems like such a silly thing to mention - but there's a point early in the BJJFanatics video where Bernardo says something like "so you keep your elbows to your knees...".

And I think that's the video in one sentence. Isn't the diamond shape from hands on head, elbows on knees, and feet together?

I actually think it's great and it just so happens to be what I do anyway.

Also, it seems the word elegant (like a diamond) is being conflated with elongate (when he extends his body away). I think.
23 days ago
10/25/02

Ugh I love xande but I’m not overly impressed with this instructional.

23 days ago
3/20/14
Red Stuff - This seems like such a silly thing to mention - but there's a point early in the BJJFanatics video where Bernardo says something like "so you keep your elbows to your knees...".

And I think that's the video in one sentence. Isn't the diamond shape from hands on head, elbows on knees, and feet together?

I actually think it's great and it just so happens to be what I do anyway.

Also, it seems the word elegant (like a diamond) is being conflated with elongate (when he extends his body away). I think.

I caught that too and I believe he meant elongate as well. I also consider what Faria said to pretty much sum up the gist of the concept.

23 days ago
9/29/13

I got more out of his seminar video where he talked about the shield, frame, and paddle concepts.  He talks about a spur, but doesn’t really explain it.

people give Danaher shit about lecturing for 8 hours on his instructionals but if you watch them and pay attn, he is crystal clear on his concepts and repeats them over and over throughout the videos so there is no way you don’t come away with something. 

Gordons instructionals are good content, I just have a hard time paying staying tuned into him.  Something about his voice maybe. 

23 days ago
9/13/16
Love the Ribeiro brothers. Xande instruction hasn’t always been hit or miss for me. Saulo has always been money though
21 days ago
1/1/01
mrblonde1281 -

I got more out of his seminar video where he talked about the shield, frame, and paddle concepts.  He talks about a spur, but doesn’t really explain it.

people give Danaher shit about lecturing for 8 hours on his instructionals but if you watch them and pay attn, he is crystal clear on his concepts and repeats them over and over throughout the videos so there is no way you don’t come away with something. 

Gordons instructionals are good content, I just have a hard time paying staying tuned into him.  Something about his voice maybe. 

I actually feel the opposite. Danaher almost puts me to sleep with his voice but I can follow along with Gordon Ryan a lot better

21 days ago
2/27/08
Dilly - 

Did you purchase this one?

Or just your opinion from the free video?
21 days ago
10/25/02
Red Stuff -
Dilly - 

Did you purchase this one?

Or just your opinion from the free video?

Purchased

21 days ago
7/30/03
checkuroil -

Saulo and he are the best instructors I’ve had.  Their attention to the fights within the fights are unparalleled 

Do you know Xandes prefered method to deal wth the leg weave?

21 days ago
2/28/03

The corkscrew?

Edited: 19 days ago
7/30/03
checkuroil -

The corkscrew?

That’s probably it, when the passer weaves his arm behind the top leg and in front of the bottom leg to stop the re-gaurd and set up a variety of passes.

I like the dvd and the details he shows but the arm weave seems to be a problem for me.

19 days ago
7/30/03
Calhoon -
checkuroil -

The corkscrew?

That’s probably it, when the passer weaves his arm behind the top leg and in front of the bottom leg to stop the re-gaurd and set up a variety of passes.

I like the dvd and the details he shows but the arm weave seems to be a problem for me.

Did I describe the technique nique well enough to understand?

Do you know how Xande or Saulo like to counter that?

Thanks

19 days ago
2/28/03
Calhoon -
Calhoon -
checkuroil -

The corkscrew?

Thanks

19 days ago
7/30/03
checkuroil -
Calhoon -
Calhoon -
checkuroil -

The corkscrew?

Thanks

Nice! I appreciate it. 

18 days ago
11/10/05
Calhoon - 
checkuroil -
Calhoon -
Calhoon -
checkuroil -

The corkscrew?

Thanks

Nice! I appreciate it. 

decision making indicators are always great.. There's often a number of ways to do something and you don't want to waste a time cycle thinking about it.

18 days ago
6/16/04
mrblonde1281 - 

I think it is formatted wrong. The techniques are out of order.
17 days ago
2/28/03
SpiderManBJJ -
mrblonde1281 - 

Yup.   Seems like module 4 should be module 1

17 days ago
6/16/04
checkuroil - 
SpiderManBJJ -
mrblonde1281 - 

This is totally ridiculous to me. Especially with the price charged.

17 days ago
9/29/13
SpiderManBJJ -
checkuroil - 
SpiderManBJJ -
mrblonde1281 - 

This is totally ridiculous to me. Especially with the price charged.

Agreed.  This really had potential because guard retention is such a hard concept to teach and I feel like Xande really has a good way of articulating it, but this instructional is all over the place 

17 days ago
9/13/16
so it sounds like i should pass on this one.
17 days ago
3/2/04

That's annoying if the structure is poor, but not a dealbreaker for me. I don't generally watch DVDs as DVDs these days anyway, I normally rip the files to MP4, then chop up the bits I want to work on. Which is even easier when you've got the option to buy as digital videos instead. 

Good content out of order, still sounds worth it to me. Waiting to pull the trigger, as I wanted to read a legit and detailed review of Danaher's retention set before completely ruling that out (but I'm leaning increasing more towards Xande, this thread is helping to confirm that). 

15 days ago
9/29/13
slideyfoot -

That's annoying if the structure is poor, but not a dealbreaker for me. I don't generally watch DVDs as DVDs these days anyway, I normally rip the files to MP4, then chop up the bits I want to work on. Which is even easier when you've got the option to buy as digital videos instead. 

Good content out of order, still sounds worth it to me. Waiting to pull the trigger, as I wanted to read a legit and detailed review of Danaher's retention set before completely ruling that out (but I'm leaning increasing more towards Xande, this thread is helping to confirm that). 

Let us know what you think.  

Curious to hear other opinions on this.