David Jacobs' BJJGround do you need a dojo to promote people?

21 days ago
9/13/16
does a blackbelt need to have a dojo to promote people? or is it just enough to be a blackbelt?

for example, if i had a friend who is a legit blackbelt but doesn't own a dojo or teach any students, could he give me a blackbelt? let's say we train a lot together in a garage or something.
21 days ago
1/1/01
No, you don't need a school.
20 days ago
1/1/01

All you need is a broadband connection

20 days ago
2/15/14

no, just a bank account to have checks written and deposited into

20 days ago
3/2/04

Is that a question out of curiosity, or are you a black belt looking to promote somebody but don't have your own school?

Either way, the route I always recommend for this is going to a BJJ Globetrotters Camp and getting your black belt that way. The process for a standard belt promotion there is to tell the organisers you'd like to be evaluated. All the black belts teaching at the camp (usually something like 10 to 20) will roll with you over the course of the week, then get together to yay or nay at the end of it. I've seen lots of people get promoted that way (e.g., a good friend of mine got her blue that way a few weeks ago). 

I've also seen several people promoted to black belt at camps too. The only difference is that they are all people who have been to several camps already and got to know the organisers, which makes sense. 

Naturally the best option is to be under a black belt, train with them for many years, they promote you up the belts. But I think the Globetrotters route isn't a bad second option if you can't do that. Particularly as there are still plenty of clubs where promotion is done from an affiliation head flying in for a seminar once a year (though admittedly they are usually also acting on the local instructor saying "yeah, I've rolled with this guy for a few years now, I think he's ready for purple"). 20 black belts rolling with you for a week strikes me as a reasonable alternative by comparison. 

20 days ago
1/1/01
^ Oh... OK, so THAT'S what getting 'promoted by BJJ Globetrotters' means. Thanks, I've heard people mention that but didn't really know what it meant.

20 days ago
7/10/09
slideyfoot -

Is that a question out of curiosity, or are you a black belt looking to promote somebody but don't have your own school?

Either way, the route I always recommend for this is going to a BJJ Globetrotters Camp and getting your black belt that way. The process for a standard belt promotion there is to tell the organisers you'd like to be evaluated. All the black belts teaching at the camp (usually something like 10 to 20) will roll with you over the course of the week, then get together to yay or nay at the end of it. I've seen lots of people get promoted that way (e.g., a good friend of mine got her blue that way a few weeks ago). 

I've also seen several people promoted to black belt at camps too. The only difference is that they are all people who have been to several camps already and got to know the organisers, which makes sense. 

Naturally the best option is to be under a black belt, train with them for many years, they promote you up the belts. But I think the Globetrotters route isn't a bad second option if you can't do that. Particularly as there are still plenty of clubs where promotion is done from an affiliation head flying in for a seminar once a year (though admittedly they are usually also acting on the local instructor saying "yeah, I've rolled with this guy for a few years now, I think he's ready for purple"). 20 black belts rolling with you for a week strikes me as a reasonable alternative by comparison. 

As far as you know, has anyone ever been denied a promotion at one of these things?

20 days ago
1/13/06
N5Z - 
slideyfoot -

As far as you know, has anyone ever been denied a promotion at one of these things?

yes, a good number, especially the higher grades

19 days ago
3/2/04

Yep, like David said (and he's been involved in the process as one of those black belts, so know more about it than I do). Quite a few people don't get a belt: the only thing you're guranteed is being evaluated, they may well decide no. 

Edited: 19 days ago
1/1/01

Had no idea Globetrotters gave black belts.  I like that they don't do exams but actually roll over a period of a week.  Is it just the cost of the camp?

19 days ago
3/2/04
deepu -

Had no idea Globetrotters gave black belts.  I like that they don't do exams but actually roll over a period of a week.  Is it just the cost of the camp?

Do you mean do they charge anything for the belts? If so, then nope, it is indeed just the cost of the camp. You simply have to ask to be evaluated (and not already be under somebody).

Or even have somebody ask on your behalf: the friend I mentioned who got promoted to blue at camp a few weeks back was a little shy, so as I knew her situation (training several years, but travels so much she is never anywhere for more than a month or two), I asked about evaluation for her. 

19 days ago
1/1/01
slideyfoot -
deepu -

Do you mean do they charge anything for the belts? If so, then nope, it is indeed just the cost of the camp. You simply have to ask to be evaluated (and not already be under somebody).

Or even have somebody ask on your behalf: the friend I mentioned who got promoted to blue at camp a few weeks back was a little shy, so as I knew her situation (training several years, but travels so much she is never anywhere for more than a month or two), I asked about evaluation for her. 

Yeah, thanks for answering.  

19 days ago
1/1/01

I got my Black Belt two years ago. In January I stopped teaching at the gym I had been training at the last 6 years. I know just train out of my house in my garage with a few friends. I just gave a friend of mine his first stripe on his white belt. So yes I can give rank. But you have to be at least a 1st degree BB to promote to black belt. So I can't give out a BB yet. But I don't have to worry about that for about 10 years.

18 days ago
9/13/16
slideyfoot - 

it was just out of curiosity. i came across a legit BJJ guy who was promoted by someone who i don't believe ever had a dojo. i was just kind of interested in how that worked.

i'm also seeing more people with non-conventional training situations. maybe they train with friends at home or maybe they do a lot of drop-ins because they move around a lot for work. just wondering how belts would work for people like that.

the globetrotters thing sounds interesting. so if you're promoted, who are you officially under. is there one head globetrotter guy? or is it like you're belted under the globetrotter council. also, what happens if there is disagreement? like if one BB thinks the guy is a 4 stripe purple and the other thinks he's a brown.
18 days ago
3/2/04

I think you just count as 'under BJJ Globetrotters', not anybody specific. David would know more though, he's been part of that promotion process before. 

In terms of disagreement, it's a straightforward 'yes' or 'no' from each black belt. Just needs enough 'yes' for the belt, no stripes. 

18 days ago
7/18/05
JoeVIP -

I got my Black Belt two years ago. In January I stopped teaching at the gym I had been training at the last 6 years. I know just train out of my house in my garage with a few friends. I just gave a friend of mine his first stripe on his white belt. So yes I can give rank. But you have to be at least a 1st degree BB to promote to black belt. So I can't give out a BB yet. But I don't have to worry about that for about 10 years.

I thought it was 2nd degree to promote someone to black belt.

18 days ago
1/1/01
Wutang -
JoeVIP -

Idk maybe you are right. Either way I'm not giving any out for a long time if ever. If I ever do I'll have a few on my belt.

17 days ago
6/28/11

I know one instructor who had just left the gym he helped start and he after rolling with a brown belt friend of his,  he awarded the guy his black belt. Took place in his garage 

17 days ago
1/1/01
JoeVIP  - 
Wutang -
JoeVIP -

Idk maybe you are right. Either way I'm not giving any out for a long time if ever. If I ever do I'll have a few on my belt.

Yea, i thought it was 2nd degree as well.

Edited: 15 days ago
7/10/09
rebelyell -

I know one instructor who had just left the gym he helped start and he after rolling with a brown belt friend of his,  he awarded the guy his black belt. Took place in his garage 

This is way more legit than getting belted at a seminar by a guy you've never trained with imo.

Not referring to the globetrotters thing.

15 days ago
1/1/01
Wutang - 
JoeVIP -

I thought the same thing!
9 days ago
6/28/11

Miguel Torres awarded his first 2 black belts, of 3 total, 2 years after he got his from Carlson jr. Nobody in the city argued it when he did it. That rule is only an ibjjf rule

9 days ago
1/9/18
rebelyell -

Miguel Torres awarded his first 2 black belts, of 3 total, 2 years after he got his from Carlson jr. Nobody in the city argued it when he did it. That rule is only an ibjjf rule

Nobody should question someone of his level. I’m sure his standards are very high.