David Jacobs' BJJGround go back in time 20 years. do you win the mundials?

9 days ago
9/13/16
it'd be tough because i'd be up against guys like royler and leoinzho but i think i'd win one. i'd bolo and worm guard those guys all day for the win. i'd only win one though because i'm sure they would figure it out soon after.
9 days ago
1/1/01

I'd like to go back and KO a prime Mike Tyson.

He would be so confused by my modern boxing, he'd think he was fighting a deadly wizard or something.

9 days ago
12/21/04
No way in hell I'm tapping to Sperry's clock choke.
9 days ago
4/2/13

Yeah in my weight class Beteti, Sperry, maybe Comprido, yeah piece of cake.

9 days ago
1/1/01
Robobear - 

Yeah in my weight class Beteti, Sperry, maybe Comprido, yeah piece of cake.

I'd be respectful, but also kinda clown them --to get the crown involved

7 days ago
1/1/01
I met Sperry right on his way to the ADCCs in 2000. He was a fucking monster. No way to beat him even with todays knowledge.
7 days ago
11/11/11

Unless youre way active on the tournament scene I bet there is no way you would pull off a berimbolo or any of that stuff on them. Those moves arent magic and still require a great amount of repetition and training under the belt to pull off against opposition that have far more training under their belt.

7 days ago
7/30/03

Did anyone else see the latest Matburn podcast? It’s the one with Craig Jones as a guest. 

In this podcast Keenan states that Rickson Gracie’s Jiu-Jitsu would be purple belt level today. He says some crazy things sometimes.

7 days ago
1/1/01
shen - 

He would be so confused by my modern boxing, he'd think he was fighting a deadly wizard or something.

lol this.
If any of you guys think you're going back in time and beating Soneca, de la riva, Royler, Jacare, Marcelo Garcia, Saulo, Fabio Gurgel, Pe de Pano, Comprido, Mario Sperry, etc. because of your clever Worm Guard, all I can say is good luck!
7 days ago
1/1/01
Calhoon - 

Did anyone else see the latest Matburn podcast? It’s the one with Craig Jones as a guest. 

In this podcast Keenan states that Rickson Gracie’s Jiu-Jitsu would be purple belt level today. He says some crazy things sometimes.

LMAO but old Rickson still tapped out Kron multiple times when he was a brown belt on a virtually undefeated tear? That's an idiotic thing for Keenan to say.
7 days ago
2/15/14
FatBuddha -
shen - 

lol this.
If any of you guys think you're going back in time and beating Soneca, de la riva, Royler, Jacare, Marcelo Garcia, Saulo, Fabio Gurgel, Pe de Pano, Comprido, Mario Sperry, etc. because of your clever Worm Guard, all I can say is good luck!

for an average practitioner to pull it off, no, not even with todays knowledge

for an near top/elite level colored belt competitor to be transported back in time to their weight class, yes, very possible

7 days ago
2/15/14
Zero1 - I met Sperry right on his way to the ADCCs in 2000. He was a fucking monster. No way to beat him even with todays knowledge.

keep in mind, Sperry is old now, but keeps in great shape. He took little damage in his career and still lost to a 155lbs Megaton who is about his age if not a little older at Masters IBJJF. This was a year after Megaton faced a brown belt who got eliminated from the light-feather weight division at adult Worlds. Said brown belt received his black belt a month later and submitted Megaton in under 2 minutes...puts things into perspective

Edited: 6 days ago
7/30/03

6 days ago
8/28/10
mideastgrappler -
Zero1 - I met Sperry right on his way to the ADCCs in 2000. He was a fucking monster. No way to beat him even with todays knowledge.

keep in mind, Sperry is old now, but keeps in great shape. He took little damage in his career and still lost to a 155lbs Megaton who is about his age if not a little older at Masters IBJJF. This was a year after Megaton faced a brown belt who got eliminated from the light-feather weight division at adult Worlds. Said brown belt received his black belt a month later and submitted Megaton in under 2 minutes...puts things into perspective

I trained with megaton daily for a few years, around the time he beat Sperry. The thing that I idolize about him is no matter how injured or fucked up his body is, he drinks a beer, shakes the pain off, and goes out the next day and competes regardless of his physical condition. 

We talked about the mundials and him competing at adult and he said something I hadn't thought about. Ever since the first worlds, he's been at masters. He was already in his mid 30s when they started it and he never got to compete like that when he was in his 20s and where he felt he was at his peak physically. 

Dude loves competing for sure

6 days ago
2/15/14
Sometimes my wife lets me porrada -
mideastgrappler -

I trained with megaton daily for a few years, around the time he beat Sperry. The thing that I idolize about him is no matter how injured or fucked up his body is, he drinks a beer, shakes the pain off, and goes out the next day and competes regardless of his physical condition. 

We talked about the mundials and him competing at adult and he said something I hadn't thought about. Ever since the first worlds, he's been at masters. He was already in his mid 30s when they started it and he never got to compete like that when he was in his 20s and where he felt he was at his peak physically. 

drinks a beer? You mean he doesn't follow the Gracie Diet of his master? Blasphemy!!

6 days ago
8/28/10
mideastgrappler -
mideastgrappler -

drinks a beer? You mean he doesn't follow the Gracie Diet of his master? Blasphemy!!

Lol dude eats and drinks well and often. 

Also not just any new black belt is going to go against Meg and beat or tap him. He brings in guys all the time to train at his gym and no one holds back an inch and he more than gives it world class black belts on his mats. I know training is not competing but he always told us to train with the intensity that we compete with (in the comp classes) and if you're not going at it as hard as you can he'd be cussing up a storm and taking it out on everyone lol 

6 days ago
3/20/14

I’d be taken out in the first round but I would have beaten the PEDs test!

6 days ago
4/24/08
did they have advantages back then? if no then probably not
6 days ago
8/15/07
FatBuddha - 
shen - 

lol this.

You can add Margarida, Terere, Nino Schembri, Telles, Draculino, and Robson to the list.
6 days ago
12/21/04
Soul Gravy -
FatBuddha - 
shen - 

lol this.

You can add Margarida, Terere, Nino Schembri, Telles, Draculino, and Robson to the list.

Terere vs. new school would be frickin awesome to watch. 

6 days ago
9/13/16
i feel like you guys don't appreciate how much BJJ has evolved in the last 20 years. the big names mentioned on this thread were beasts 20 years ago but you have to realize that their games were still pretty elementary compared to today.

i'm an old school guy and i remember how badass those guys were. but i also watched the sport evolve and saw how modern BJJ replaced old school BJJ in the sport setting.

i remember margarida destroying people with the "margarida pass". which is basically a simple knee slice. now competitors have like 10 variations of the knee slice that are more effective than his original knee slice.

bernardo faria won worlds for years based on his deep half guard. again, i think that the position is better understood now that it was back then.

like i mentioned in OP, berimbolo absolutely killed when it first came out. worm guard confused a lot of guys too. the modern leglock system is also way better than the leglocks of 20 years ago too. so i don't think it's a stretch to think that a purple belt competitor could win mundials 20 years ago.

i'm sure the legends would eventually pick up on these tricks in a year or two. but i do think that a competitive purple would be good enough to win a title or two using todays game against the old school guys.
6 days ago
7/30/03
tapnaporsnapbro - i feel like you guys don't appreciate how much BJJ has evolved in the last 20 years. the big names mentioned on this thread were beasts 20 years ago but you have to realize that their games were still pretty elementary compared to today.

i'm an old school guy and i remember how badass those guys were. but i also watched the sport evolve and saw how modern BJJ replaced old school BJJ in the sport setting.

i remember margarida destroying people with the "margarida pass". which is basically a simple knee slice. now competitors have like 10 variations of the knee slice that are more effective than his original knee slice.

bernardo faria won worlds for years based on his deep half guard. again, i think that the position is better understood now that it was back then.

like i mentioned in OP, berimbolo absolutely killed when it first came out. worm guard confused a lot of guys too. the modern leglock system is also way better than the leglocks of 20 years ago too. so i don't think it's a stretch to think that a purple belt competitor could win mundials 20 years ago.

i'm sure the legends would eventually pick up on these tricks in a year or two. but i do think that a competitive purple would be good enough to win a title or two using todays game against the old school guys.

I think about all that and then I remember Roger with his closed guard and wonder...

5 days ago
4/2/13
mideastgrappler -
mideastgrappler -

Also not just any new black belt is going to go against Meg and beat or tap him. He brings in guys all the time to train at his gym and no one holds back an inch and he more than gives it world class black belts on his mats. I know training is not competing but he always told us to train with the intensity that we compete with (in the comp classes) and if you're not going at it as hard as you can he'd be cussing up a storm and taking it out on everyone lol 

Isn't he HA? He's gotta drink! Always liked that guy. Warrior.

5 days ago
8/28/10
Robobear -
mideastgrappler -
mideastgrappler -

Yeah dude lives like a rock star but is genuinely one of the most caring guys I've met, even though he's very rough around the edges and as grimey as it gets

5 days ago
2/15/14
Robobear -
mideastgrappler -
mideastgrappler -

Yeah dude lives like a rock star but is genuinely one of the most caring guys I've met, even though he's very rough around the edges and as grimey as it gets

Grimey?