David Jacobs' BJJGround the "teacher" student

3/14/19 4:32 PM
1/1/01
Does anyone have this in their school? I think it's a common thing because I have seen in several schools that I am familiar with.

The guy, who ranges from a crappy blue belt to sympathy black belt, who LOVES to teach, OVER intellectualises, and for some reason - always teaches questionable techniques. It's never, here's a classical standing guard break. Here are the three critical components. It's always some oddball variant that doesn't look practical. And then a ..whole..lot..of..talking.. The white and blue belts don't think twice of it, usually, but the higher belts do.

Why do they always teach (whether it's to cover when the head instructor is gone or off to the side) such oddball techniques? Stuff that I never see them do themselves, mind you. I know of a blue belt who ALWAYS teaches on the side and he always shows the berimbolo to white belts. However, he has never hit a berimbolo live and he teaches it "a little off" anyways (he himself cannot invert very well).
3/14/19 7:40 PM
1/1/01

You should correct him...

3/14/19 7:51 PM
2/28/03

You are dead on. It’s like they want to take everyone down their YouTube rabbit hole 

3/15/19 12:39 AM
4/26/13

Lol I hate this guy.  It's funny because white belts will be like "OMG, this guy is so nice, I'm going to hang on his every word" and upper belts just roll their eyes and try to avoid him at all costs.

3/15/19 4:26 AM
2/15/14
Easters -

Lol I hate this guy.  It's funny because white belts will be like "OMG, this guy is so nice, I'm going to hang on his every word" and upper belts just roll their eyes and try to avoid him at all costs.

destroy the mofo in front of everyone and then take his "students" under your wing

3/15/19 8:29 AM
7/10/09

The worst is when this guy gets his blackbelt and you have to watch him teach a class this way.

3/15/19 8:40 AM
1/1/01

Dunning Kruger Effect

3/15/19 12:53 PM
1/1/01
I don't "correct" or "destroy" them because either they have been training for a long time and thus outranking me OR they refuse to roll because one time as a blue belt, years ago, I tapped them. Repeatedly. So they refuse to roll and come up with impressively new excuses not to. So you just sort of have to "bear with" their instruction.

If they are a lower rank than me, I don't bother correcting them but sometimes I will try to tell the student to forget berimbolo and work more important stuff. These people teach to the side every single class. It would be me having it out against them to try and interfere every time. So what do you do, you just let them be ultimately.

I just want to know why they have to teach bizarre techniques and not stick to classic stuff!
3/15/19 4:13 PM
2/8/08
There is a guy that drops in now and then and he likes to show variations of whatever technique we are working on. We are similar in size, so I always get paired with him. Basic arm bar turns into a triangle or oma plata or some random choke. By the time he is done going over all his BS, the instructor is now working on the next step of the technique. He is better than me, so I just go with it and hope he isnt there the next class.
3/15/19 4:49 PM
12/24/10

Ha we have a blue belt that has been training for about 10 years and still gets handled by most whitebelts after a year of training. 

He is this guy x100. He even tries to teach the whitebelts that just finished submitting him how to do it better or makes up some bullshit about letting them work. 

Meanwhile he thinks we are evenly matched because I let him work. Haha

Edited: 3/15/19 5:26 PM
11/8/09
Shinsplint -

Ha we have a blue belt that has been training for about 10 years and still gets handled by most whitebelts after a year of training. 

He is this guy x100. He even tries to teach the whitebelts that just finished submitting him how to do it better or makes up some bullshit about letting them work. 

Meanwhile he thinks we are evenly matched because I let him work. Haha

I’m a fricking purple belt, not a blue belt!

3/16/19 11:35 AM
12/26/02
Jimmy Morrison - 

Dunning Kruger Effect

big time.

also...lurker alert!  

3/16/19 3:34 PM
7/31/09

We had one of those guys at our gym for a bit.  He actually did have some good leg lock knowledge, but he was just so fat and out of shape that it didn't matter.  He would immediately lay back to half guard and if you passed him all he would do is try to setup one sweep or some shit or just only play defense and not try to really get out.  

I'm a purple now and I tend to do random shit when I'm rolling, but when I'm explaining something I only explain the basics.  Posture, grip fighting, controlling major joints, not pushing with your hands, keep your elbows in, move your hips, get on your side....blah blah blah the boring shit.  All the shit I watch from youtube is pretty basic too.  If it gets too complicated and becomes like a choreographed movement then I just ignore it.  

3/17/19 8:12 PM
6/24/05
There was one of these guys at a gym I used to train at seven years ago. Most of his stuff was garbage, however I still use one of his tips to this day.
3/18/19 10:16 AM
1/1/01
Jimmy Morrison -

Dunning Kruger Effect

Had to google that, awesome!

For those that don't know like me:

"In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority comes from the inability of low-ability people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, low-ability people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence."

Edited: 3/18/19 12:08 PM
1/1/01
N5Z - 

The worst is when this guy gets his blackbelt and you have to watch him teach a class this way.

I don't think I have been "that guy" but I have definitely talked too much when teaching. I now try to limit myself to 3 minutes when I teach a move. Sometimes I go over, but it has made me a lot more cognizant of time.

A lot of teachers just don't understand that people are not all THAT interested in hearing your opinion on every single, tiny,  little nuance of human movement.

Just because something is true doesn't always mean it is worth mentioning.

"... sometimes I like to sorta clamp my hips, other times I prefer to squeeze my thighs and twist my hips, other times I like to partially squeeze my hips and partially squeeze my thighs and then I sort of bump my hips too... --that's a really interesting one -- but, let me  get into the role of the belly and how it works with the shoulder blade here..."

MEANWHILE, half the class has completely tuned out and is simply wondering how much longer he's gonna talk.

3/18/19 1:33 PM
7/10/09
shen -
N5Z - 

I don't think I have been "that guy" but I have definitely talked too much when teaching. I now try to limit myself to 3 minutes when I teach a move. Sometimes I go over, but it has made me a lot more cognizant of time.

A lot of teachers just don't understand that people are not all THAT interested in hearing your opinion on every single, tiny,  little nuance of human movement.

"... sometimes I like to sorta clamp my hips, other times I prefer to squeeze my thighs and twist my hips, other times I like to partially squeeze my hips and partially squeeze my thighs and then I sort of bump my hips too... --that's a really interesting one -- but, let me  get into the role of the belly and how it works with the shoulder blade here..."

MEANWHILE, half the class has completely tuned out and is simply wondering how much longer he's gonna talk.

Im sure I am also guilty of finding my details more interesting than they actually are.

What I find annoying, and what I believe OP is pointing towards, is when the "teacher" lacks the ability to effectively apply the technique he is showing and compensates by being overly verbose and harping on the minutiae which(due to his inability to effectively apply the technique) is theoretical to begin with.

IDK if Dunning Kruger applies here.  I just assumed these people got a high off of others looking at them as knowledgable, similar to the stolen valor types.

3/18/19 1:55 PM
6/24/05
shen - 
N5Z - 

Honestly, this is my least favorite kind of teacher. It's good you recognized this and have adjusted.

3/18/19 3:18 PM
4/26/13

Don't forget this student's cousin, who will grab lower-ranked students to use as their uke for the incredible system...

"So I've got you here...what are you gonna do?  You're gonna do this...but if you do this I do that.  Sometimes guys will do this, but I've got this in my back pocket.  Boom...tap"