David Jacobs' BJJGround the trends over the years

15 days ago
9/9/02
Back in the 90s we would use "K guard", to enter into the legs all the time, usually kneebars, and heel hook/leg combos, just didn't ever have a name for it, just underhook and go lol

KneeBah!
15 days ago
5/28/02

Bump

15 days ago
1/1/01

I really don't follow sport jiu jitsu, so maybe this is off...

But what about "Double Sleeve Control" as having a period of popularity?

I recall a time when that seemed to be really popular.

Also, I remember when the "Double Underhook 1/2 Guard Pass was THE way to pass the Half Guard.
15 days ago
9/9/02
shen - 

Also, I remember when the "Double Underhook 1/2 Guard Pass was THE way to pass the Half Guard.

Double sleeve is still popular

Right now also a lot of far side collar and sleeve, to omoplata and matrix back take stuff

Edited: 15 days ago
9/9/02
Berimbolo game has evolved to the crab ride game also, the backtakers are relentless now

Also, with that collar and sleeve stuff alot are using thr key master hook
14 days ago
8/20/16
shen -

Do you mean this pass? I'm curious in learning more about this double underhook pass.

14 days ago
1/1/01

I remember back when wallid choked out Royce with the clock choke back in 1998 everyone started training that.

I also remember the PeDePano guard being a thing for a while.

Armdrags and the X-guard trend because of Marcelo. 

i'm too old and beat up now to follow the ultra modern trends, but since things are cyclical, can't wait till closed guards and  lapel chokes from there are a thing again.   Then i'll be golden.

14 days ago
3/28/02
shen -

Carlson taught us the double underhook pass vs half guard.  end in mount to americana

14 days ago
9/9/02
SlapUsilly - 

I remember back when wallid choked out Royce with the clock choke back in 1998 everyone started training that.

I also remember the PeDePano guard being a thing for a while.

Armdrags and the X-guard trend because of Marcelo. 

i'm too old and beat up now to follow the ultra modern trends, but since things are cyclical, can't wait till closed guards and  lapel chokes from there are a thing again.   Then i'll be golden.

Closed guard is still great probably the best guard to use, the issue is getting someone to it and keeping them there, with standing passing, the movement etc...its just really hard to keep someone in it

No one just hangs out in closed guard top anymore, people are automatically posturing, standing etc...they just want out
14 days ago
12/26/02

liquidrob - Berimbolo game has evolved to the crab ride game also, the backtakers are relentless now

Also, with that collar and sleeve stuff alot are using thr key master hook

There's a part of me that sees the berimbolo as the love child of 2 things: 

1) tornado roll / inverted guard play

2) that guard pass / back escape that I first saw from Luis G of SBG / One Dragon.  (Update: found the video, embedded it).  I still use this as part of my back escape game today. 

14 days ago
1/1/01
blabbermouth - 
shen -

Do you mean this pass? I'm curious in learning more about this double underhook pass.

Basically, though I was thinking more specifically of the version where you knee cut instead of mount, but same thing.

There was one year at the Pam Ams 20-ish years ago, and everyone was doing it, like a memo went out that this was THE way to do it now. It was a trend for a while.
11 days ago
6/6/09

I remember several years ago where IBJJF worlds had a year or two where everybody was diving all over peoples ankles and trying to toe-hold/ankle lock each other. It was weird.

11 days ago
7/18/05

Big Nog did the first anaconda choke I've ever see back in the early 00s.

Marcelo with the x-guard

Margarida pass

Eddie Bravo's Rubber Guard, lockdown half guard, old school sweep, gogoplata, twister

Rodrigo Mederios' guys doing the muscle sweep

Marc Laimon popularizing the D'Arce on the West Coast

Deep half to waiter sweep

Ryan Hall with the 50/50 though I remember some Philly guys also did it (Rick Macauley)

TT guys with the folder pass

Checkmat guys with the checkmat half guard (I think Lucas Liete now calls it the coyote guard?)

Ryron and Rener's updated variation of the straight ankle lock

Monson with his variation of the N/S choke

Marcelo with his variation of the N/S choke, high elbow guillotine

Pezao with the Riberio Firemans Carry takedown

Ribiero's flower sweep, they always hit it with an illegal pant grip so you know thats how they trained it and they were friggin good at it.

Braulio with his galaxy guard(?)

Keenan with his worm guard

Cobrinha with the leg drag passing, twirly top thing, sit up guard.

Romulo and Cobrinha's spider gaurds

Romulo's collar sleeve knee cut ruined so many people, he also had a pretty wicked situp guard.

Clark Gracie's omaplata

Mendes Bros with RDLR and Berimbolo - funny story I had a match with Gui at brown belt at one of the OTM tournaments He did some lapel RDLR crap on me. I was so lost just trying to process everything then he brabo'd me. lol

Victor's Estima Lock

Miyao's with the Crab Ride

Europeans with the Matrix

Per twinkletoe's video.

Luis G from SBG Flordia was the first I remember of the crab ride.  This was 2002 at one of the camps. SBG had a different philisophy where they do no gi but wear pants and it's ok to grab the pants. Used to drive me nuts lol

11 days ago
9/9/02
bbomber - 

I remember several years ago where IBJJF worlds had a year or two where everybody was diving all over peoples ankles and trying to toe-hold/ankle lock each other. It was weird.

I think that's when they were spamming ankle lock/toe holds for advantages, mostly from 50/50 and double guard pulls

Gotta sell it!
Edited: 10 days ago
2/15/14
blabbermouth -
shen -

this kind of passing only works on people who are 

1) smaller

2) less experienced

3) weaker

4) not on your level

This type of passing is garbage, even against someone who is only 15-20lbs heavier than you and near your level  

Edited: 10 days ago
1/1/01
Nevermind...

I didn't watch that video closely enough. My fault. The pass I am talking about is more like the pass Sean Sherk did to hermes Franca in their UFC fight.
10 days ago
8/20/16

I just thought of another trend that absolutely killed me circa 2004: taking 100 kilos side control and grabbing the gi pants. I could never, ever escape from this... and by the time I did learn an escape from Saulo's first DVD set, they stopped doing it.

10 days ago
2/15/14
shen - Nevermind...

I didn't watch that video closely enough. My fault. The pass I am talking about is more like the pass Sean Sherk did to hermes Franca in their UFC fight.

I'll have to look for that fight

7 days ago
9/7/17
bbomber - 

This is happening again in 2020 with Fight 2 Win. That organization has an invisible points board. They judge submission attempts before even looking at positional work. People are going for straight ankle lock attempts on each other and trying to rack up points that way.

If me and you had a match there and we each had one ankle lock on each other and then I swept you but then you swept me back and passed me, you would win. But if I had only 2 ankle lock attempts on you (and no other offense) and you had 1 ankle lock on me, but still passed me and mounted me, then I'd still beat you.

The invisible points system didn't get revealed until the controversy after Ethan Crelinsten lost to Kade Rutolo and ever since then people have been spamming ankle locks on each other at Fight 2 Win.
6 days ago
6/6/09
mata_leaos -
bbomber - 

This is happening again in 2020 with Fight 2 Win. That organization has an invisible points board. They judge submission attempts before even looking at positional work. People are going for straight ankle lock attempts on each other and trying to rack up points that way.

If me and you had a match there and we each had one ankle lock on each other and then I swept you but then you swept me back and passed me, you would win. But if I had only 2 ankle lock attempts on you (and no other offense) and you had 1 ankle lock on me, but still passed me and mounted me, then I'd still beat you.

The invisible points system didn't get revealed until the controversy after Ethan Crelinsten lost to Kade Rutolo and ever since then people have been spamming ankle locks on each other at Fight 2 Win.

That is bananas.