David Jacobs' BJJGround what I have noticed in my limited time w/ bjj

4 days ago
6/30/14
I did it for a few months a few years ago, my son did it for about a year

started back up again recently, at a different gym than the first

I have a wrestling background, including a little time at the division II level in college

one thing I have noticed so far with bjj is damn near everyone is nice. from white belt to black belt. they answer questions, take time to explain, roll at your pace (whatever that may be), they are welcoming.

on M/W/F the kids class is before the adult's gi class. so my son, who will be 9 next month, hangs out during the adult class. watches us, brings a book to read, wanders around off the mat, etc

almost everyone at some point talks to him, ask him questions, at the end couple guys offered to roll with him

during any class I am overwhelmingly guys, and gals, are genuinely friendly and helpful

in wrestling that is only the case some of the time. there is a lot more "I am a badass" attitude. I loved my time wrestling but there is more of a prove yourself vibe, in general, than there is in bjj

my experience is limited to two gyms, and the visitors we have had

but that is a great part of the bjj community
4 days ago
9/10/13

A good school should be like that. You don’t have to be fake but there is no reason not to be nice. Even when frustrated and having my ass handed to me I don’t get an attitude and neither does anyone else.  

4 days ago
1/9/18

You are fortunate to have a school with a friendly atmosphere. As much talk as there is about “humble” all easy going “my friend” “oss” and so on, there is quite a bit of ego in modern jiu jitsu. It took me a few schools initially before finding a place that had the vibe to fit my needs. 

I think it is important for beginners to try several schools before becoming a member.

4 days ago
4/24/08
wrestling is generally an art for the young...hard to balance an ego at that age and the competitive drive is a bit higher
4 days ago
2/20/09
pahulkster -

A good school should be like that. You don’t have to be fake but there is no reason not to be nice. Even when frustrated and having my ass handed to me I don’t get an attitude and neither does anyone else.  

Yes sir.

My mama told me it don’t cost nothin extra to smile and be polite.

I try to be like that as does most of my gym.

4 days ago
7/12/03
falsecrack - wrestling is generally an art for the young...hard to balance an ego at that age and the competitive drive is a bit higher

It also more of a competition based sport, you dont see many people wrestle for the fun of it, many BJJ people are just there to get in a workout and have fun.
Edited: 4 days ago
6/11/18
pcuzz -
falsecrack - wrestling is generally an art for the young...hard to balance an ego at that age and the competitive drive is a bit higher

It also more of a competition based sport, you dont see many people wrestle for the fun of it, many BJJ people are just there to get in a workout and have fun.

Very true. I can't recall a situation where a youth wrestler only went to practice and didn't compete with the team at the weekend tournaments at least occassionally. If it did, it was a rare situation. Also, with no belts, the only way to validate your improvement was through direct competition. 

To the OPs question, I come from a similar background and have been on my BJJ journey a little over a year. Our gym is very accomadating and the egos are checked at the door for the most part. There is a lot to be said about the age difference though, I'm in my 40s and the bulk of the adults are in their 30s and early 40s. We have the odd teenager and 20 something and there is definetly a difference in approach and temprament between the youngest and oldest teammates. 

4 days ago
3/15/15
Fan of Fanboys - I did it for a few months a few years ago, my son did it for about a year

started back up again recently, at a different gym than the first

I have a wrestling background, including a little time at the division II level in college

one thing I have noticed so far with bjj is damn near everyone is nice. from white belt to black belt. they answer questions, take time to explain, roll at your pace (whatever that may be), they are welcoming.

on M/W/F the kids class is before the adult's gi class. so my son, who will be 9 next month, hangs out during the adult class. watches us, brings a book to read, wanders around off the mat, etc

almost everyone at some point talks to him, ask him questions, at the end couple guys offered to roll with him

during any class I am overwhelmingly guys, and gals, are genuinely friendly and helpful

in wrestling that is only the case some of the time. there is a lot more "I am a badass" attitude. I loved my time wrestling but there is more of a prove yourself vibe, in general, than there is in bjj

my experience is limited to two gyms, and the visitors we have had

but that is a great part of the bjj community

In general there is no difference. Collegiate wrestling is all about performance and results in high-stakes competition. In most sports like this, where on a fraction of the population have the skill-set, athleticism, and drive to compete, you get this. I've seen the same attitudes and unfriendliness in competitive soccer as collegiate wrestling. I have been to BJJ gyms where the sole focus is sport and I didn't see as many people walking around all smiles and bunnies.
Bjj for the most part is a BUSINESS, and MOST PEOPLE who train are not competitors nor train for competitions where results sometimes can affect funding.
If BJJ suddenly transformed in a high level sport like wrestling, where only teens and early 20s practice and compete hard, you'd hardly here the "my friend" stuff any more.
Personally, I am glad BJJ is mostly recreational.
4 days ago
7/12/03
^^Exactly my point. I see people make comments about wrestlers being better grapplers by people who dont understand the difference between competition driven gyms. Go to a BJJ gym that focuses on competition and you see a huge difference.
2 days ago
3/29/18

This comes much from the origin of the BJJ. The Brazilians are always very attentive

1 day ago
2/28/06
Sounds like my gym. I love catchwrestling, MMA, wrestling and shootwrestling, but when I experience the great environment and community at my BJJ gym, I was hooked. I put a lot behind me and settled for just training with nice people.