OtherGround Forums Best Stephen King Novel

7/28/14 12:20 AM
12/21/12

The Best King novel is probably "The Stand" it's just an incredible part of modern literature.  The foreward for the newer editions is hilarious to me.  King talks about the publisher cutting a ton out of the manuscript (I don't have my copy in front of me, but it was something like 100,000 to 150,000 words) as it was only his third book he didn't have the clout he enjoys now.  With the re-printing he put all that back in, because now he's Stephen freaking King.

Books and Horror media in general don't really scare me, but if a book came close it was "Pet Sematary."  The ending captured perfectly what most people would do in that situation.  No matter how many times you see how badly that decision is going to turn out, you can always convince yourself there's a chance.  That's the scary part of that book.

Most recently I read "Duma Key."  It was decent, with the characterization you come to expect from his work.  It definitely suffered during the ending though, and resembled some of his previous work a little too much.

7/28/14 4:10 AM
8/7/07
Has anyone read his new book Mr Mercedes? Also, not sure if people know but his son Joe Hill is an excellent horror writer too and also wrote the great comic book series Locke and Key, which I highly recommend. Phone Post 3.0
7/28/14 10:38 PM
7/19/02
Not yet, I have it but have a couple others to finish up first. One is the new Joe Hill book. I was skeptical before reading his stuff, just thinking he might be riding his dads coattails, but no he has some serious talent. His book of short stories is probably my favorite of his stuff so far. Phone Post 3.0
7/29/14 2:40 PM
7/19/02
I'll always read whatever he puts out. He basically sparked my reading obsession. I first read Night Shift in around 7th grade and since then I am constantly reading something. I'm like Burgess Merideth in that Twilight Zone episode. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 8:40 AM
1/1/01
I read the novel Blaze by King under his pseudonym, Richard Bachman. I don't know how I missed this one. I highly recommend it.
12/31/14 11:30 PM
4/13/06

my favorite is either The Stand or Wizard and Glass....the young Roland story is so good

2/1/15 11:10 AM
12/18/05

yep^. awesome fucking story

2/17/15 4:46 PM
1/1/01
Technically speaking, I think this is a novella, but I liked "Cycles of the Werewolf" (Silver Bullet).

I liked Firestarter, too.
4/1/15 5:13 PM
8/14/13
I've only read two of his books, Duma Key and The Eyes of the Dragon . Enjoyed the fuck out of both of them, but preferred The Eyes of the Dragon. I think I'll start salems lot now and then read most of his shorter novels before starting The Dark Tower.
4/10/15 6:52 PM
3/4/08
looks like the dark tower series is finally gonna get to be a movie. heard this before though...

King was upbeat about the latest development, saying in a statement, "I’m excited that The Dark Tower is finally going to appear on the screen. Those who have traveled with Roland and his friends in their search for the Dark Tower are going to have their long-held hopes fully realized. This is a brilliant and creative approach to my books."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stephen-kings-dark-tower-alive-787758
7/25/15 12:03 PM
5/5/07
The Shining so far but need to read more of his books.
Edited: 3/26/18 4:53 AM
6/6/11

9/15/16 11:27 PM
3/24/14

For me, Pet Semetery will always be number one

11/10/16 12:58 AM
5/10/04
The Dark Tower series might be my favorite collection ever.

As far as one-offs -- its really hard to beat The Stand!

King's short stories are AMAZING!!

Insomnia was great.

Dream Catcher was absolutely AMAZING for about the first half of the book. I was cracking up! The end gets a bit over-done... but that tends to happen with King books.

Thinner was memorizing to me. The end was just a bit disappointing.

Cell was another one that started off great.. then peters out a bit. Then again, when you are immersed in the story, its really OK. The endings tend to seem a bit convoluted in hindsight.

My biggest problem with King, is that he tends to kill off my favorite characters. NOBODY is safe in his world! While that certainly adds to the suspense of his stories (almost to the point where you expect it); you are often left unsatisfied when a character you follow and maybe identify with is suddenly and brutally eliminated.

That said -- he is pretty much my favorite author.

King goes so far beyond horror.. . he is IMO more Sci-Fi/fiction/and sometimes horror.

His character development, along with the subtle yet realistic nuances of his writing -- REALLY pull you into the story.

SPOILER ALERT--

FUCK, the young Roland story in Wizard and Glass is both awesome and heart breaking!

Charyou tree...!!!!
3/26/18 4:58 AM
6/6/11

For me it has to be The Stand. 

I did enjoy Salems Lot, Pet Sematary was a little boring I thought. 

I have finally got round to reading Misery and thought that was a pretty fun read, frustrating at times but well worth the short read.