OtherGround Forums Towers of Midnight Jordan & Sanderson

1/4/11 12:52 PM
1/1/01
Book 13 in the Wheel of time series is VERY good!

The story had me not wanting to put the book down.
Plenty of fighting, surprise pieces make all the parts start making more sense and coming together.

The end is near.
1/16/11 4:05 PM
12/12/02
Unfortunately, the previous books have made me never want to touch anything associated with the WoT ever again.

Couldn't really care how good the book is to be honest. If an editor had sat Jordan down and said "look, we don't give a fuck about her hairstyle or how she crosses her arms, I'm cutting that shit out", we would have been done 10 years ago and he could have seen his work complete.

The series is a great idea, but it is INCREDIBLY badly written
Edited: 1/18/11 1:04 AM
11/14/10
 /plants fists on hips, /fondles braid

It turned to shit books 7-10 but I persevered and we are so god damn close to the end, I cant wait.
Sanderson has gone a good job, but really any fantasy writer could just edit out all the useless crap and be left with a good story.

I remember reading one of the books and there was soemthing like four Elaine chapters all in a row dedicated to the inner workings of politics and fashion of chameleon.

1/20/11 4:30 PM
6/23/08
I took a risk clicking this thread because I haven't read it yet. Thankfully, there were no spoilers, as I am currently rereading Gathering Storm before starting Towers. However, I will say that, imo, Sanderson has saved the series. Gathering Storm had the same pacing and intensity of the early series and advanced the plot a ton.

It turned to shit books 7-10

It certainly did. I hate to speak ill of the dead, but Jordan's death was the best thing to happen to the series.
1/22/11 6:45 AM
1/1/01
After reading "Gathering Storm" last year when it came out, i decided to read the whole series again before Towers came out. I"m glad i did!

I enjoyed the series a ton more than the first time i read it, even the poor middle of the series. It's sorta like after watching a movie the first time , things you see in the movie make much more sense.

If you guys enjoyed any part of the story, you should read the last couple books, they are worth it (IMO).
1/22/11 7:48 AM
12/12/02
Both are Sanderson books are available on Kindle. Might pick them up.

I'm taking an awful risk Vader. This had better work
2/9/11 1:02 PM
6/23/08
Just finished it myself. I see what you mean about the loose ends. Had to be done though. Having read Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, I though ToM felt a lot more like his own style than Jordan's. That's not necessarily a complaint.
2/10/11 3:13 PM
8/2/03
I am waiting till it is all done, and then i'll give the entire series a read.

I can't even remember where I stopped reading. Maybe book 7 or 8. It did seem to get real boring, and the story didn't seem to progress anymore.

I had a pit in my stomach by the end of the 4th GRRM book, because he seemed to be falling into Jordan's foot steps.
2/27/11 6:31 PM
8/13/10
Good book. I got my friend to start re-reading WOT because of these books.
3/27/13 3:53 AM
2/22/11
havent read the other posts yet..but it seemed a bit rushed to me. I felt like he could have done a bit better job. He was more impressive in the previous book parts he wrote. All in all I feel like Jordan just lent so much more depth to some of the characters. Especially Rand, Perrin, Mat, and for some reason Elayne. The scene at the end with Thom though was amazing.
4/10/13 1:21 PM
7/18/11

I really liked the Sanderson books that finished the series.  Closure!  *glances at Martin*

10/21/13 3:23 PM
1/1/01
They were much better than the slow paced middle books, but to be honest the last book felt a little too fast paced. After years of talking and nothing happening, everyone decides to just go on a suicidal gamble in which a lot of people die. And i STILL don't know who killed Asmodean...
12/2/13 3:33 PM
12/18/05
damn the wheel of time, sanderson needs to just worry about 'Stormlight Archive'
5/11/16 8:20 AM
1/27/08
I can't bring myself to go back and finish. Stopped at Knife of Dreams.

I might go through it on audible while I draw or something but I won't read them.
5/11/16 9:33 PM
8/2/03
I tapped out somewhere around book 7 or 8. I always intended to reread the entire series start to finish but now I am thinking I will just read the final ones written by Sanderson.

I feel GRRM has fallen into the same trap with his last 2 books. Nothing is happening and a good editor should have kicked him in the ass. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/16 10:06 AM
1/1/01
MuaySteve - I tapped out somewhere around book 7 or 8. I always intended to reread the entire series start to finish but now I am thinking I will just read the final ones written by Sanderson.

I feel GRRM has fallen into the same trap with his last 2 books. Nothing is happening and a good editor should have kicked him in the ass. Phone Post 3.0

And the gap between the books is getting significantly longer with every one. I've already accepted that the books at least will never be finished, though he might concentrate on the series and do it through that.
5/21/16 10:06 AM
1/1/01
Death and Taxes - 
HULC - They were much better than the slow paced middle books, but to be honest the last book felt a little too fast paced. After years of talking and nothing happening, everyone decides to just go on a suicidal gamble in which a lot of people die. And i STILL don't know who killed Asmodean...

***SPOILER***

It was Graendal.

Where does it say that?