GamerGround Bethesda Response?

11 days ago
5/30/03

I've been really interested in the backlash from everything surrounding Fallout 76, from the terrible game to the backpack debacle.  It would make an awesome case study of what not to do for goodwill.  Have there been any former developers/employees from Bethesda who have left and provided a non-bot type response as to what's happening inside the company?

Everything from the coding of the game to email responses seem to be cut and pasted from an old source.

11 days ago
2/25/06

ttt

11 days ago
4/23/14

In

Edited: 10 days ago
1/1/01

10 days ago
10/27/03

It definitely shows how difficult game development is.

Bethesda are one of the most beloved game companies and have refined their speciality niche - massive sandbox RPG - on the same engine for almost 20yrs now. Nobody does it like them.

But step outside their niche to online survival and its a massive clusterfuck mess in every way.

10 days ago
1/1/01

Screw Bethesda. Check out obsidian's new game the Outer Worlds

7 days ago
1/1/01

They screwed up by not doing Elder scrolls 6.  

7 days ago
3/7/05
bethesda has always been big on visionary scope, not so good on functional testing of their product. And now they seem to have gone completely mad.
7 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - bethesda has always been big on visionary scope, not so good on functional testing of their product. And now they seem to have gone completely mad.

They've always relied on the community to fix their games. When you put out a game that they can't mod and don't really want it's basically a big fuck you to them.

6 days ago
3/5/14
cleophus -
BigWilliam - bethesda has always been big on visionary scope, not so good on functional testing of their product. And now they seem to have gone completely mad.

They've always relied on the community to fix their games. When you put out a game that they can't mod and don't really want it's basically a big fuck you to them.

Yea, at this point Bethesda has a very niche thing they are loved/hated for depending on how you like their style of game.  Hardcare video game fans are some of the most vicious critics and fanbases out there.  The circle jerk and snowballing of a few mistakes or misteps can derail 20 years of previous success.  Its pretty crazy.

The internet just makes the critizism that much more available for everyone to think about and pile on over.  I kind of feel bad for some of these developers because its incredibly dangerous to take any risks as a AAA studio these days.  If you don't put out pure gold with your next franchise entry it may be your death song.  That's competition for you, though.

Edited: 6 days ago
1/1/01
Hurtsogood - 
cleophus -

Yea, at this point Bethesda has a very niche thing they are loved/hated for depending on how you like their style of game.  Hardcare video game fans are some of the most vicious critics and fanbases out there.  The circle jerk and snowballing of a few mistakes or misteps can derail 20 years of previous success.  Its pretty crazy.

The internet just makes the critizism that much more available for everyone to think about and pile on over.  I kind of feel bad for some of these developers because its incredibly dangerous to take any risks as a AAA studio these days.  If you don't put out pure gold with your next franchise entry it may be your death song.  That's competition for you, though.

The issue is that "Bethesda" wasn't responsible for that 20 years of success. They're directly responsible for 3 fallout games. 

Fallout 3: A homerun. Not a perfect game, but great. 

New Vegas was produced by Obsidian

Fallout 4: A solid double. Took a step back from New Vegas in a lot of role playing aspects. Settlement building became a crutch to minimize time into side quest development. When called on it, they tried to correct it with two decent out of 5 DLC. 

Fallout 76: Released an alpha version of the game. Ubisoft can make their games bug free year after year, and Bethesda can't do it after 3 for a reskinned version of FO4? 

6 days ago
1/1/01

I'm not a fan of Bethesda games so this situation is hilarious to me. I never understood how people would ignore the same bugs in every game. At some point you would think they would fix them but nope fuck you enjoy that jank.

6 days ago
3/5/14
DaveFu -
Hurtsogood - 
cleophus -

The issue is that "Bethesda" wasn't responsible for that 20 years of success. They're directly responsible for 3 fallout games. 

Fallout 3: A homerun. Not a perfect game, but great. 

New Vegas was produced by Obsidian

Fallout 4: A solid double. Took a step back from New Vegas in a lot of role playing aspects. Settlement building became a crutch to minimize time into side quest development. When called on it, they tried to correct it with two decent out of 5 DLC. 

Fallout 76: Released an alpha version of the game. Ubisoft can make their games bug free year after year, and Bethesda can't do it after 3 for a reskinned version of FO4? 

Those are good points.  My last Fallout Game was New Vegas.  I haven't played the more recent stuff.

6 days ago
5/30/03
Hurtsogood -
cleophus -

You're minimizing some gigantic missteps. It's not that they didn't make a gold product. They made absolute trash and had no care for responding to their fans like a responsible business should. 

This was a cash grab and a fuck you to their fans. Destroyed good will. 

6 days ago
1/1/01
The Maestro -
Hurtsogood -
cleophus -

You're minimizing some gigantic missteps. It's not that they didn't make a gold product. They made absolute trash and had no care for responding to their fans like a responsible business should. 

They offered them $5 worth of in game money. 

6 days ago
5/30/03
cleophus -
The Maestro -
Hurtsogood -
cleophus -

They offered them $5 worth of in game money. 

Which in irony could not allow you to purchase a virtual bag within the game. That alone shows that they aren’t even attempting to understand the frustration of their core customers. 

6 days ago
3/5/14
The Maestro -
Hurtsogood -
cleophus -

Yes, they made a pretty objectively shitty product with Fallout 76.  I'm not minimizing it, its shitty and people are rightfully angry with them.  They are getting the negative press they deserve.  Its just hilarious to watch fanboys act like they just watched their own mothers get murdered in front of them with how over the top the outrage is.  If anything, its just another reason to not pre-order games and to wait for reviews to come out before paying money for anything, even games from trusted developers.

They dug themselves a hole.  The mob has been officially set upon them.  I have no idea if they thought this project was actually going to be something cool and possibly interesting or if they just set out to put a super shallow, shit online version of their previous games out to make a quick buck.  Either way, you can bet they aren't going to stray from their meat and potatoes of what they've been doing for years again. Which was kind of my initial point.

2 days ago
1/1/01
I'll never understand why this game was even made.

2 days ago
1/1/01
PatK - I'll never understand why this game was even made.

2 days ago
3/5/14
DaveFu -
PatK - I'll never understand why this game was even made.

STOP MAKING SENSE!

2 days ago
1/1/01

I love it when companies shit all over their smarter fanbase to appeal to (the much larger) moron demographic. 

2 days ago
3/5/14
DaveFu -

I love it when companies shit all over their smarter fanbase to appeal to (the much larger) moron demographic. 

It kind of helps narrow down the games I'm interested in buying so that's helpful.

2 days ago
1/1/01
DaveFu -

I'm part of that moron demographic you son of a bitch!

2 days ago
1/1/01
cleophus - 
DaveFu -

I'm part of that moron demographic you son of a bitch!

"The Walking Dead keeps better and better!!!"

2 days ago
1/1/01

Just reading that Bethesda seems to be fucking up even more. When you create a new account with them they are forcing you to opt-in for their ads. It apparently also let's them sell off your info to other parties. This all looks to be illegal in the EU.