GamerGround Monster Hunter World?

1/7/18 12:13 PM
10/8/12
Anybody got it pre-order, all of my gaming buddies are talking it up but I can't get excited about it. I also haven't done a ton of looking into it either...
1/8/18 3:09 AM
6/8/08

Interested to hear about this as well...

It's offline right? I've always had problems with games that are like MMO's but are offline. I think part of the fun in MMORPG is to get a band together and then go to get "that monster" you can only get if you are a party and everybody contributes.

And even if you do solo stuff, once you're done you kinda can show your buddies what you did/or got.

In Single Player RPG that are still openworld and MMORPGish, like Skyrim, killing a big boss always felt empty, becaue you were just standing there alone.

1/8/18 4:40 AM
5/4/11
Average -

It's offline right? I've always had problems with games that are like MMO's but are offline. I think part of the fun in MMORPG is to get a band together and then go to get "that monster" you can only get if you are a party and everybody contributes.

And even if you do solo stuff, once you're done you kinda can show your buddies what you did/or got.

In Single Player RPG that are still openworld and MMORPGish, like Skyrim, killing a big boss always felt empty, becaue you were just standing there alone.

Nah, you hunt with other players. A lot of the end game hardest content developed specific strategies for downing some of the toughest monsters as a 4 man team. The trapper + 3 heavy bowgun tactic was an example of that.

In its essence it's a loot grinder boss fighting game. The level of depth in the combat is limited by your imagination really, you get some really creative guys out there - especially now that the current gen console allows the Devs to interact with the environment more than they have ever been able to before. It's big selling point to me is the versatility in play, no two weapon types ever feel the same and all cater to different effects. You want to play the heavy hitter that knocks monsters unconscious and lets your team go ham on its lifeless body? Go hammer. You want to tackle it from afar, pepper it with status ailments and kite? Go light bowgun. You want to go full dps mobility? Go dual blades. You make the game what you want it to be really.
1/8/18 5:00 AM
6/8/08
DeJa Fu -
Average -

Nah, you hunt with other players. A lot of the end game hardest content developed specific strategies for downing some of the toughest monsters as a 4 man team. The trapper + 3 heavy bowgun tactic was an example of that.

In its essence it's a loot grinder boss fighting game. The level of depth in the combat is limited by your imagination really, you get some really creative guys out there - especially now that the current gen console allows the Devs to interact with the environment more than they have ever been able to before. It's big selling point to me is the versatility in play, no two weapon types ever feel the same and all cater to different effects. You want to play the heavy hitter that knocks monsters unconscious and lets your team go ham on its lifeless body? Go hammer. You want to tackle it from afar, pepper it with status ailments and kite? Go light bowgun. You want to go full dps mobility? Go dual blades. You make the game what you want it to be really.

You practically just sold the game to me.

So it IS online??? well, NOW I'm interested. And need to have a better look at it. Where does that game come from, PC?

Did you play it on another platform?

A good vid you can suggest that is a good starting point to see the game's world/Scope, combat etc... just a good overview?

1/8/18 6:41 AM
11/13/14
sucks asshole
1/8/18 7:50 AM
6/8/08

Just realised... I had Xenoblade in mind all this time and thought Monster Hunter was coming for the switch too. Damn... so PS4 then.. hmmm...

1/8/18 8:29 AM
1/1/01
Average -
DeJa Fu -
Average -

You practically just sold the game to me.

So it IS online??? well, NOW I'm interested. And need to have a better look at it. Where does that game come from, PC?

Did you play it on another platform?

A good vid you can suggest that is a good starting point to see the game's world/Scope, combat etc... just a good overview?

If you want to watch some videos check out Arekkz gaming. He's got a ton of vids that explains pretty much everything and even has a breakdown on all 14 weapons available in the betas. Another good source is gaijin hunter.
1/8/18 11:48 AM
11/28/07

I'm cautiously optimistic it will be great.  I never played the beta so I'll be going in blind. 

1/8/18 7:31 PM
5/4/11
Arrekz is a good mainstream source of material, I like gaijin hunter and his YouTube channel. He's an American that lives in Japan and speaks the local lingo, gets a lot of inside scoops and plays with the community in a way that western media can't quite grasp.

But yes the game is multiplayer, has a great online community (plagued by a few elitists that are worse than any other in the top 1%, but better than any other game community with the average player.) It's not for everyone, there really isn't any comparison to be made. Just don't be put off by haters that slate games before they've even been released, monster Hunter will be one of the best games released this year.
1/8/18 7:34 PM
5/4/11
There is a third beta coming up so anyone who is only just catching wind - give it a go, try out as many weapons as you can in the limited time, because they all play so different and you always end up falling in love with one.
1/8/18 8:12 PM
11/11/11
Monster hunter is awesome but it is such a time sink. Mh4 waa my first and it wasnt until I was 100 hrs in that I felt like I was beginning to really get what I was doing.

The time sink factor is why I'm hesitant to play another. Its best played if you have friends to play alongside with. Its a great and amazing co-op experience.
1/8/18 8:42 PM
10/8/12
DeJa Fu -
Average -

This sounds awesome.
1/8/18 8:47 PM
10/8/12
TheBearStare - Monster hunter is awesome but it is such a time sink. Mh4 waa my first and it wasnt until I was 100 hrs in that I felt like I was beginning to really get what I was doing.

The time sink factor is why I'm hesitant to play another. Its best played if you have friends to play alongside with. Its a great and amazing co-op experience.
Man, it's hard to start a "time sink" game in my life right now. I'm barely able to keep up with Destiny content. Example is that I got level cap in D2 probably 2.5 months after the game dropped. And it took me about 1 month after the most recent expansion to hit the next max level. I would consider the amount of time/effort I put into getting to that level my current max commitment level. Given that info would I be able to play "high tier" content in MH:worlds at a decent time?
1/8/18 10:09 PM
11/11/11
I'm not famiiar with d2 at all, sorry.. I just know 100 hrs in mh4u was a dent. I think I had 400 plus hours in that game. Even with that there was still plenty more to do however I completed all the main solo and online quests. Its a time sink. No if ands or buts. I don't know about this new one but the serious is surprisingly old school in its design despite its appearance. Unforgiving gameplay that takes endless repetition and skill development to learn your craft much like old Nintendo games. I have many fond memories of playing with my friends for a gaming session for an evening here and there and not completing a single hunt lol. So it was several hours wasted. Other times you will be in synch with your teammates and playing great and dominate beating quest after quest.
1/9/18 1:39 AM
6/8/08

That's why I dropped D2 very fast. It just wasn't interesting to me.

But the second reason was, and that's not the game's fault, I just don't have alot of friends that play when I play. So in games, where you can not easily hook up with some players spontaneously (like Overwatch etc), I end up playing alone - which yeah, the game probably is not made for.

And by the way it sounds, this is going to be the same kind of game... so even if it might be alot of fun, I don't have a group of 3-6 friends that are always on and I can join.

Also, like I said, I mistook the whole thread for a Switch Game... Maybe I'll skip this one and wait for Red Redemption, then go Monster Hunter when it's on PC. We'll see. But will try to check out the Beta.

1/9/18 8:38 AM
1/1/01
This game isn't d2. Everything can be done solo.
1/9/18 11:41 AM
11/11/11
The new monster hunter is coming out for pc. Also it is pretty easy to meet up with new hunters within the game.
1/10/18 5:22 PM
12/12/02
How easy is it to play with friends if you will be putting different amounts of time into it?
Can someone who plays for 20hours a week realistically team up with a 5 hour a week casual?
1/13/18 4:45 PM
5/4/11
BaldTony - How easy is it to play with friends if you will be putting different amounts of time into it?
Can someone who plays for 20hours a week realistically team up with a 5 hour a week casual?
You could team up with your friend who had smashed 200 hours in, but he's going to be walking through everything, shredding it to pieces. What most people who go back to starter zones do is: craft level appropriate gear when downscaling to keep the challenge alive
1/13/18 4:52 PM
12/12/02
Thank you. So there aren't any levels, it's entirely gear dependant? That makes it easier.
Was luke warm at first, but really looking forward to this now.
1/13/18 5:27 PM
1/1/01

Not levels but there is Hunter Rank or HR for short. Some quests require a certain HR to do. Not sure exactly how it's going to work in MHW but I remmber reading that it willl be different in this game from past games.

It's really not as big a deal like gear levels in Destiny ect. If you play with a friend that's higher level they should be able to help you rank up fast since it's only dependant on doing certain quests. You may have some problems playing with randoms online cause there are always elites that will kick players that they feel have too low of an HR.

1/15/18 7:50 PM
1/20/10

Me and my gamer buddies are going to check it out.  We are getting it on XBone.  I never played the other ones though so I hope the learning curve isn’t too bad!

1/15/18 9:39 PM
11/11/11
The learning curve being steep is part of the series charm. Its really a skill dependent game. You will get good as long as you keep playing. Right of passage to be advancing hunter ranks and slaying certain beasta.
1/16/18 7:59 AM
11/13/14
the commercial even sucks asshole
1/17/18 3:04 PM
1/20/10
TheBearStare - The learning curve being steep is part of the series charm. Its really a skill dependent game. You will get good as long as you keep playing. Right of passage to be advancing hunter ranks and slaying certain beasta.

Gotcha, thanks!