GamerGround Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

3/20/19 3:08 PM
10/18/14

FROM Softwares newest game comes out to. Anyone planning to buy? Not a huge DS guy but Bloodborne was possibly the greatest game I've ever played. 

Hoping this is somewhat similar. 

3/21/19 10:18 AM
1/1/01

Still not sure if I'm going to get it a launch. I can play it for the weekend but then probably wouldn't be able to touch it for about 2 weeks so I'll probably wait.

From what I've heard people are saying it's the hardest From game ever.

3/21/19 11:23 AM
3/10/12

I'll prolly get it, looks dope

3/21/19 11:50 AM
1/7/03

9.5 on IGN. Gonna get it this weekend and give it a go, love all the games from From

Edited: 3/22/19 11:31 AM
1/1/01
Bought it on the Playstation Network last night (saved me $6 in tax). Can't wait to dive in and begin tonight after work, look great!

Metacritic Critic Reviews: 89/100
Metacritic User Reviews: (10 total) seven 10's, two 6's & one 4.

How fucking bad can a From Software game be these days...I'm in, lol.
3/22/19 11:07 PM
1/1/01
Played the first intro section until you lose your arm.

It's OK, something about the combat is a bit strange. I liked Nioh better, but I've only started the game. Maybe I have too high expectations.
3/23/19 3:51 AM
6/5/18

Playing it right now. It’s a difficult cunt. Chained ogre can eat a bag of dicks 

3/24/19 5:51 AM
8/19/13

Currently stuck with the chained ogre. The flame attachment you can get for your shinobi prosthetic at the hibata estate is essential though, I know they much.

There's another mini boss at the hibata estate I'm stuck at. Loving it so far 

Edited: 3/24/19 1:30 PM
1/1/01
Did you kill the first mini-boss in the introduction (before you lose your arm)?

I tried but couldn't kill him, so I just ran past him.
3/24/19 3:58 PM
10/18/14

I Was getting wrecked by the chained ogre, so I went and found the Fire prosthetic. Gonna hopefully take him out now. Also  in the same area you get the fire prosthetic, theres a mini boss although I haven't even made an attempt on him. Theres 2 shielded enemies near him that I haven't figured out how to kill.

For the guy that had to skip the first miniboss, you can stealth around him on the rooftops to get a stealth blow jumping down on him. That'll take out one of his orbs, and then you just need to take care of the other one.  Theres another prosthetic you can find that'll help deal with his jumping attack.

3/24/19 4:00 PM
10/18/14

This game gives me the same feeling that bloodborne did, although I'm adjusting quite a bit quicker than i did with BB.  Fucking fantastic through the first couple hours 

3/24/19 5:05 PM
10/18/14

Ran Out of Oil urns trying to beat that fucking ogre. I can get him to around half until I run out of healing, fucker must have got me 50 times. Where do I get more? Just killing enemies? 

This game is HARD. I need to decompress and relax for an hour, my hands are sweaty and I cant stop shaking. 

3/24/19 10:57 PM
8/19/13

Jman a tip for that first mini boss is run up the path to the left. You are on top of buildings so he can't see you. Lock on to him and do the jump from above deathblow. This will take out half his health from the start of the fight.

DT you need the axe attachment for your shinobi prosthetic, one hit destroys the shield and leaves them open for a deathblow.

Figured out the ogre, have to poke him and save the fire attacks for when he is staggered to set him on fire. Burn damage helps and gives you a longer window of vulnerability.

3/25/19 10:36 AM
1/1/01
Cool thanks for the advice, I will try that.

I died though, so now I've been transported to 3 years earlier and need to do whatever is going on there.

Also WTF, I killed the boss but with 2 red dots you have to drain the "life bar" down twice, fucking stupid
3/25/19 11:43 AM
10/18/14

Still cant beat the fucking ogre. Between him and the spear guy, ive probably died 50 times lol.  Need to practice more I suppose 

3/25/19 5:27 PM
1/1/01
I just got it, the combat mechanics are gonna take getting used to, different than Dark Souls. I'm trying to stealth whatever I can.
3/25/19 9:05 PM
1/26/12

This game is hard as fuck, I’m in genshiro and I can get to the second form but holy fuck by then I’m out of healing items and he just murders me

3/26/19 3:05 AM
8/19/13

Killed General Tenzen, got past the big ass snake and am getting ass fucked by Gyoubu Oniwa the dude patrolling a battlefield full of corpses he hasn't allowed to pass. Half of them are probably mine by now.

After losing enough to him went back and beat the shinobi Hunter in the hibata estate. For the first time while fighting Gyoubu I saw a fog gate and thought that until then I figured there just weren't fog gates in this game. Guess the butterfly hag thing is behind it? Every boss I've beaten was a mini-boss too? Kind of crazy to think

Edited: 3/26/19 12:06 PM
1/1/01
Not really digging the game sadly. Loved all of the Souls games (first played Demon Souls) and Bloodborne, but this just isn't it. The grappling hook/spider man web thing is really distracting for me and the combat is kind of strange (loved the combat in Nioh though).

The best review I saw that I agree with was this from Metacritic:

StrangeAeons Mar 25, 2019
5/10
I wanted to like Sekiro, I REALLY did. I love the Souls-Borne series of games, and I think that was my first mistake when jumping headfirst into Sekiro. First and foremost, Sekiro is not a souls game.

Sekiro shares many similarities with the Souls games, but Sekiro is a whole new beast. Gone are the days of leaving messages for other players. Gone are the days of other players for that matter, as Sekiro is only a solo experience. That aspect does not bother me so much as I prefer single player experiences anyways.

In the Souls-Borne series if I ran into a frustrating situation there was always an option of going back and doing some grinding to help level up in an effort to conquer the roadblock in my way. After finally getting past those roadblocks there was an immense feeling of accomplishment. I find the bosses in Sekiro are so frustrating that I leave feeling defeated and have no drive to continue. And with no leveling up of your character, and no gear to swap out and try, there is no motivation to continue bashing my head against the wall.

Sekiro is a beautiful game aesthetically speaking, but the frustration outweighs the beauty. It feels like FromSoft took the difficulty aspect of the Souls-Borne series and cranked it to 11 just for the sake of making it difficult. Sneaking around like a ninja and picking off the "trash" mobs feels like that is what the game was supposed to be. Realizing that the bosses needed to be challenging it feels like FromSoft overcompensated and crossed that line which separates difficult-fun and difficult-frustrating.

There is good to be found here, do not get me wrong. Sekiro is a beautiful game with tight controls. The frustration found in the game overshadow everything Sekiro does well. The one thing a game should always be is fun. For me, this is where Sekiro fails, it becomes so frustrating that it is no longer fun.

There are going to be plenty who do not agree with me. And that is ok. This is just my honest opinion, my honest review. I really, REALLY, wanted to like Sekiro. The only other game I am looking forward to as much as Sekiro is Cyberpunk 2077, and it saddens me to think how disappointed I am with Sekiro.

If you go into Sekiro expecting a souls-like experience, you will be sorely disappointed
3/26/19 8:45 PM
1/26/12

I’m at the ape boss and it’s retarded. No mechanics you’ve used so far do anything. 

3/27/19 1:52 AM
8/19/13

Jman the game really isn't hard compared to BB or ds1. You just can't roll like your brain is telling you to. If you're having trouble on bosses to the point it doesn't feel fun you've gotta be doing something wrong. It doesn't pay off to play passively in this iteration. If you can mix in deflects with attacks you can break posture quickly and effectively gifting you a deathblow. 

A comment I saw on Reddit that aptly describes veteran souls players frustrations with Sekiro:

"The wins feel more rewarding, in my opinion, partly because you can’t farm souls to out level a boss and crush it. The difficulty is always there because you only get stronger by beating a boss. Everyone is at the same difficulty level. There’s no cheesing with Havel’s, stacking poise to spam r1 through enemy attacks, no summons to help you. It’s just you and the game. Feels very rewarding.

I think someone called it "Fraud Souls" in another thread because it exposed how much of a 'fraud' they were by power leveling to stomp bosses and summoning help. Found it pretty funny, but it's quite true."

3/27/19 1:56 AM
8/19/13

To add to that, I've found a lot of boss encounters are basically skill checks. They force you to play the game as intended if you want to succeed with any efficacy. You need to understand posture, deflecting etc to have a chance. You need to unlearn roll souls because rolling in Sekiro is often less effective than jumping. It's just different, but when it clicks it's amazing. That's how I felt with all the souls I played before it, too.

3/27/19 10:42 AM
1/26/12
IronWill -

To add to that, I've found a lot of boss encounters are basically skill checks. They force you to play the game as intended if you want to succeed with any efficacy. You need to understand posture, deflecting etc to have a chance. You need to unlearn roll souls because rolling in Sekiro is often less effective than jumping. It's just different, but when it clicks it's amazing. That's how I felt with all the souls I played before it, too.

You’ll change this thought at the guardian ape lol every other boss I agree with you though. 

3/28/19 4:49 AM
8/19/13
rMar89 -
IronWill -

You’ll change this thought at the guardian ape lol every other boss I agree with you though. 

I've heard he throws shit.. lol

How far through are you?

3/28/19 9:56 AM
1/26/12
IronWill -
rMar89 -
IronWill -

I've heard he throws shit.. lol

How far through are you?

I think I’m near the end, other than headless the ape is the only boss I can find