GeekGround Bendis continues to Bendis. Tim Drake =/= Robin

7/16/19 12:32 PM
1/1/01

From https://www.cbr.com/young-justice-tim-drake-new-identity-pushed-back/

It seems Young Justice fans are going to have to wait just a bit longer before the reveal of Tim Drake's new superhero identity.

According to the original solicitation text for July 10's Young Justice #7, "Tim Drake is about to do something he has only done...lots of times before. He is about to announce his new alias...a new superhero name. A Young Justice name. And this time, it’s permanent. Like, forever." However, according to writer Brian Michael Bendis, the status quo shift was pushed to Issue #8.

"I needed those pages in 7 for the special guest artists and dimensions we surprised you with," Bendis tweeted in response to a fan asking about Tim's new codename not appearing in Young Justice #7.

At the beginning of the month, Bendis posted a teaser of Tim Drake's new costume on Instagram. The image, illustrated by John Timms for Young Justice #10, includes Naomi in the forefront, who's flanked by Superboy/Conner Kent, Teen Lantern, Wonder Girl/Cassie Sandsmark, Impulse, Jinny Hex and Amethyst. At the bottom, though, we see Tim sporting a sleeker version of his classic costume, minus the iconic Robin emblem on the chest.

Young Justice #7, written by Brian Michael Bendis with art by John Timms, is on sale now. Issue #8 goes on sale September 4.
7/16/19 12:37 PM
1/1/01

paw comments: It often seems to me that DC hates all Robins that aren't Damian for some reason.

Full disclosure: I'm of the opinion that Damian hasn't been remotely interesting since Morrison created and wrote the character and should have stayed dead when Morrison killed the character off. YMMV, of course. 

7/17/19 10:15 AM
3/7/05
So wait according to Bendis Drake was never Robin at all? Then how did he get all the tools to fight crime if not as Batman's understudy?
7/17/19 11:36 AM
1/1/01
BigWilliam - So wait according to Bendis Drake was never Robin at all? Then how did he get all the tools to fight crime if not as Batman's understudy?

I don't think that's what Bendis is saying. However, Bendis is saying that once Drake adopts his new identity, he's done as Robin and won't be going back.

I think.

I honestly have no f******* idea what DC is doing or what is currently in continuity right now.

30 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - So wait according to Bendis Drake was never Robin at all? Then how did he get all the tools to fight crime if not as Batman's understudy?

Tim was "never" Robin, and hasn't been since New 52 started. He went straight to Red Robin. The time he was Robin was lost to Dr. Manhattan.

That being said, I expect that everything will be unwound whenever they can get Gary Frank to finally finish Doomsday Clock.
Edited: 30 days ago
1/1/01
BiggGunn - 

Tim was "never" Robin, and hasn't been since New 52 started. He went straight to Red Robin. The time he was Robin was lost to Dr. Manhattan.

That was a tremendously bad decision, imo.

30 days ago
3/7/05
Just when I thought DC could not screw up their continuity any worse.
30 days ago
1/1/01
paw - 
BiggGunn - 

That was a tremendously bad decision, imo.

Well, most of the New 52 decisions were.....
29 days ago
1/18/03
And yet they don't understand why their sales are plummeting.
26 days ago
10/11/18
paw - 

paw comments: It often seems to me that DC hates all Robins that aren't Damian for some reason.

Full disclosure: I'm of the opinion that Damian hasn't been remotely interesting since Morrison created and wrote the character and should have stayed dead when Morrison killed the character off. YMMV, of course. 

Got to clear the deck for Damian to be Batman somehow [Not that it really matters. They don't have the stones to permanently replace Bruce]