GeekGround Comics winning Hugo awards

29 days ago
1/1/01
From https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08/19/monstress-charles-vess-into-the-spider-verse-win-hugo-awards-2019/

Presented at the 2019 World Science Fiction Convention in Dublin last night, the annual Hugo Awards, as voted on by the attendees and supporters of the show. They were first given in 1953 at the 11th World Science Fiction Convention, and have been awarded every year since 1955.

This year’s winner of Best Graphic Story was Monstress, Volume 3: Haven, written by Marjorie Liu, painted by Sana Takeda and publushed by Image Comics.

Best Professional Artist went to comic book illustrator Charles Vess  – who once was only added to the Hugo-winning Sandman: A Midsummer Night’s Dream when Neil Gaiman had to argue that Vess was as important to the story as he was. And now has a Hugo all of his own. Vess was also part of the winning team for the Hugo Award for Best Art Book, The Books of Earthsea: The Complete Illustrated Edition, illustrated by Charles Vess, written by Ursula K. Le Guin and published by Saga Press / Gollancz.

And Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form went to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, screenplay by Phil Lord and Rodney Rothman, directed by Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey and Rodney Rothman, from Sony.

29 days ago
3/7/05
monstress? I read the first few issues, they were trying way to hard for shock value. That is why I cannot take awards like this too seriously. The reasons they are given seem to be about the actual work maybe half the time.
29 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - monstress? I read the first few issues, they were trying way to hard for shock value. That is why I cannot take awards like this too seriously. The reasons they are given seem to be about the actual work maybe half the time.

I love Monstress soooooo much. In particular, the art is amazing. But I you're absolutely right that nearly all awards like this are completely subjective (and it seem increasingly political).

29 days ago
3/7/05
I read maybe 4 issues of monstress and it was awhile ago. What is it you like about it? It seemed to me they were trading on the body horror of people being mutilated and the shock value of that. Honestly I don't really remember the main thrust of the story, there was a lot about an imperial court and concubines.
29 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - I read maybe 4 issues of monstress and it was awhile ago. What is it you like about it? It seemed to me they were trading on the body horror of people being mutilated and the shock value of that. Honestly I don't really remember the main thrust of the story, there was a lot about an imperial court and concubines.

The art is amazing. I'm pretty invested in the deeper mysteries of who the monstrum (the demon that has been attached to Maika's arm), especially with war looming on the horizon.

Kippa is my favorite character by far. 

29 days ago
3/7/05
Ok that character is friggin adorable I will give you that. Which makes me already worried they would do something terrible to her and depress me for a week.
29 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - Ok that character is friggin adorable I will give you that. Which makes me already worried they would do something terrible to her and depress me for a week.

I know that feeling.  

28 days ago
3/7/05
paw - 
BigWilliam - Ok that character is friggin adorable I will give you that. Which makes me already worried they would do something terrible to her and depress me for a week.

I know that feeling.  

If something bad does happen to her Paw I am never to know. In my mind she has found a kitten sanctuary where she spends her days being mobbed by them.