GeekGround DC -editorial bloodbath (layoffs)

8/11/20 7:30 AM
1/1/01

Numerous reports in the comic book media of massive layoffs at DC, with a few sources describing the cuts as a "bloodbath". Nothing definative yet, but you can check out 

DC Comics Editorial Bloodbath Going On Right Now
 for some speculation.

8/11/20 2:50 PM
10/11/18
Good. Most of them should have been axed years ago. Now if they can get rid of bendis.
8/11/20 5:04 PM
4/27/14

One rumor is that the SJWs on staff who have run the brand into the ground with their woke bullshit are being purged.

From the Ace of Spades blog:

It's a "bloodbath" at the WarnerMedia-owned DC Comics, with the Editor in Chief, the Publisher, and one third of the editorial staff sacked.

Included in the sackings is -- this is a rumor as of yet, not confirmed -- leftwing SJW ideologue Andy Khouri, one of the absolute cancers killing the industry, who brought in GamerGate skel Zoe Quinn to "write" "comics" for DC, despite her having no comic book experience and no writing experience (outside Depression Quest and a failed kickstarter). Khouri filled DC's Vertigo imprint with angry yet untalented SJW freaks; Vertigo was cancelled within a year.

DC had already laid off people last year, and now has to cut even more. Co-publisher Dan DiDio was fired last year, leaving the other co-publisher, Jim Lee, supposedly in charge; now Jim Lee has been pushed out of that position, though he'll probably be kept in some other role. (He's a major comic book artist.)

Why did this happen to DC Comics?

Let's ask Wonder Woman and see if she can tell us.

That's a variant cover of the upcoming comic book version of the Wonder Woman 1984 movie, for an animation company called Rooster Teeth -- which itself is a WarnerMedia property.

That cover may not have caused the "bloodbath" of cuts at DC, but this kind of aggressively alienating #Woke bullshit -- which has been going on for years and years -- has put DC on the chopping block.

Not only did DC Comics -- which itself has chased Marvel for a gold medal in the #Woke Olympics -- accept this variant cover, they actually celebrated it and promoted it through their DC Nation twitter account:

Rooster Teeth is itself a Time Warner, now Warner Media property, and is itself expected to be severely downsized -- was this cover an insult/fuck you to WarnerMedia as Rooster Teeth gets ready to be "consolidated" with another division and almost entirely scrapped?

They were just hit with big layoffs this past September, which they're probably still pissy about.

And Rooster Teeth just took a super-#Woke turn itself, announcing they were deleting all "problematic" content and would be hiring SJW diversity advisors to help them make better censorship decisions in the future:

"Hi everyone,
Today, as part of the broader representation and inclusion goals of our company, we are reviewing our content library and removing some videos we no longer feel comfortable hosting on our platforms. We took an honest look at 17+ years of videos, many of them made live and uploaded on a daily basis, and concluded some do not fit the values of Rooster Teeth today and are counterproductive to the work we are striving to do to be more inclusive of all people. We aspire to entertain our existing community while fostering connections with a diverse audience. Any content that doesn?t do that doesn?t belong on our platform. This review is ongoing; over time we will also edit videos, provide disclaimers where appropriate, and continue to remove content if we so choose.
In June we stated #BlackLivesMatter and said we were working on a plan to ensure a more diverse, inclusive and equitable Rooster Teeth. We want to be transparent about what we?ve accomplished and what we?re still working on. Laney Ingram, our Head of Legal & Business Affairs, has expanded her responsibilities to include Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI). She is partnering with Senior HR leader Stephanie O?Connor, who comes to us from Fullscreen. We have also hired an outside DEI consultant, Ingrid Hadley. Together, Laney, Stephanie and Ingrid are laying the groundwork for our DEI strategy and initiatives going forward. We are also working closely with WarnerMedia on all of our DEI strategies and are thankful for their support and the opportunities they open up in this area."

So yeah, I can see this as a real #PowerBottom move by butthurt SJWs who know that they'll soon be forced to Learn to Code.

8/12/20 7:46 AM
1/1/01

Let's be honest here, It's hard to read Ace of Spades blog and not get the feeling that Ace of Spades is finding one, adding one and coming up with a total of 15.

Here's what we know:

1. DC/WB have not yet commented on the layoffs. As DC's offices are in CA, they are required by law to give at least 60 days notice to employees
  2. DC separated from Diamond Distribution a few months ago (June?) and has moved to a new comics delivery on Tuesday, a change from the industry standard of Wednesday
  3. Earlier this year (although it seems like a lifetime ago) DC fired Dan Didio
I think that's it, at least for now. 

One more thing...I don't know why so many people online are going crazy over the WW variant cover. Personally, I think it looks horrible and amateurish but I don't understand the outrage. Doesn't anyone remember the horrid art in the 90s? And most of that were the standard covers.
8/12/20 4:15 PM
3/7/05
It is one variant cover of a book I don't buy anyways.

DC is circling the drain and I am not sure anything can save them.
8/13/20 5:57 PM
3/23/14

8/13/20 8:27 PM
1/1/01
DCyrus - 

I only listened to the first two minutes, but he does hit upon something that I"ve always wondered about. People are quick to yell and scream about Marvel's perceived pandering to this group or that -- even when there's zero evidence that Marvel is pandering at all, but for some reason DC gets a pass when DC has been open about their pandering for decades.

It really is odd.