GeekGround DC has a backup plan...and it confuses me

11/5/19 2:31 PM
1/1/01
From https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11/05/dc-comics-has-a-back-up-for-5g-and-its-called-black-label/

Luke Fox as Batman, Jonathan Kent as Superman, a child of Captain Boomerang as the Flash, and either Teen Lantern or the Far Sector lead as Green Lantern. Possibly Francis Manapul That’s what Bleeding Cool has been led to expect will be coming from DC Comics’ 5G. That sort of thing. You can catch up with this handy tag.

So as DC’s 5G has been nicknamed Axel Alonso 2.0 by some. With certain retailers seeing similarity even in concept, to the Marvel Now 2.0 promotion of 2016 and 2017 that made Victor Von Doom and Riri Williams the leads of the Iron Man books, promoted characters such as Prowler, Solo, Foolkiller, Viv Vision, Gwenpool and Squirrel Girl, and introduced characters such as Mosaic, launched the new Champions series, Occupy Avengers, America, Unstoppable Wasp, Iceman and a continued heavy push for Inhumans titles alongside Death of X. A lot of changes, to an audience that hasn’t the best reputation for dealing with change.

But it looks as if DC Comics isn’t putting all its eggs in one basket. And realises that replacing all their lead comic books with new characters taking the roles may not be universally popular.

So I have been told they have a back-up plan for 5G and it’s called Black Label.

As 5G rolls out, DC Comics will also launch a number of new oversized-titles, starring Bruce Wayne as Batman, Clark Kent as Superman, Diana as Wonder Woman, Arthur Curry as Aquaman, Hal Jordan as Green Lantern and Barry Allen and/or Wally West as The Flash, at $7.99 each.

Somewhere between what they have been trialling with the Giant books and the current Black Label line. Aimed at the older reader and ongoing. Having their cake and eating it…
11/5/19 2:33 PM
3/7/05
Why not have the new label be the new books? Marvel had a ton of success with that and the Ultimates. Noone complained that it was not the 'real' Spiderman because it was specifically a new universe.
11/5/19 2:35 PM
1/1/01

The above is all speculation and rumor, but that said, I don't understand WTF DC is trying to accomplish here. But I do know this - Axel Alonso 2.0 is not a good sign. That's pretty much a strong vote of "no confidence".

11/5/19 2:42 PM
3/7/05
Well at least someone down there is smart enough to smell the reek of inevitable failure and is planning for the aftermath? So... glass half full?
11/6/19 2:34 PM
1/18/03

So if their solution is that if you're a fan you'll have to spend more money to read stories of your favorite characters?  This will just drive more people to stop collecting.  Go back to cheaper quality paper to save money, tell good stories, drop the politics, no more retcons and reboots every 2 years (although at this point with how fucked up DC continuity is I think they should probably start from scratch).  It's not rocket surgery.

11/6/19 7:45 PM
8/20/16

Can anyone tell me where Solo and Foolkiller were popping up? I like those characters.

11/7/19 9:37 AM
1/1/01
blabbermouth - 

Can anyone tell me where Solo and Foolkiller were popping up? I like those characters.

According to wikipedia

Solo - After appearing in Deadpool and the Mercs for Money, he was given a second 5-issue limited series in 2016.

A new Foolkiller miniseries, written by Gregg Hurwitz, debuted under Marvel's MAX adult imprint, in October 2007. 

11/8/19 10:13 PM
8/20/16
paw -
blabbermouth - 

According to wikipedia

Solo - After appearing in Deadpool and the Mercs for Money, he was given a second 5-issue limited series in 2016.

A new Foolkiller miniseries, written by Gregg Hurwitz, debuted under Marvel's MAX adult imprint, in October 2007. 

Thanks for the info. I did some googling and it looks like there was supposed to be a Foolkiller series (written by a famous musician) in 2016, but it never happened.

3 days ago
10/11/18
BigWilliam - Why not have the new label be the new books? Marvel had a ton of success with that and the Ultimates. Noone complained that it was not the 'real' Spiderman because it was specifically a new universe.

Probably because they realize that the people that are good at crying and demanding "representation and diversity" aren't exactly good with handing over their money to support it.
3 days ago
1/1/01
Mr Karate - 
BigWilliam - Why not have the new label be the new books? Marvel had a ton of success with that and the Ultimates. Noone complained that it was not the 'real' Spiderman because it was specifically a new universe.

Probably because they realize that the people that are good at crying and demanding "representation and diversity" aren't exactly good with handing over their money to support it.

While I'm inclined to believe your assertion is true, to clarify, Jonathan Kent as Superman, a child of Captain Boomerang as the Flash  neither of those would be "diversity or representation changes".

I have no idea who either Teen Lantern or the Far Sector lead as Green Lantern are, so that person/people/whatever might be "diversity or representation changes"...maybe. Aren't there something like a 1/2 dozen GLs on earth? 

3 days ago
1/18/03

DC is really doing well.  In november they only had 3 comics in the top 20.  2 of them were Batman selling 71 310 and 60 307 issues and Justice League selling at 55 411 issues.  Just for laughs I checked 1997 sales.  Batman was only selling 55 000 issues but JLA was selling 109 000 issues.

At one time Batman was also selling over 100 000 issues (checked a random month from 1995)

3 days ago
3/7/05
Is Batman in that title currently Luke Fox, have they made that change yet?
3 days ago
1/1/01
JLK - 

DC is really doing well.  In november they only had 3 comics in the top 20.  2 of them were Batman selling 71 310 and 60 307 issues and Justice League selling at 55 411 issues.  Just for laughs I checked 1997 sales.  Batman was only selling 55 000 issues but JLA was selling 109 000 issues.

At one time Batman was also selling over 100 000 issues (checked a random month from 1995)

From a sales perspective, DC just has Batman, whatever event they have going on, and a "very special event" that happens in a single issue (like Superman revealing he's Clark Kent). That's pretty much it. 

I also think that's mostly true beyond comics as well.