GeekGround DC to have a two month gap in 2020?

10/29/19 9:33 AM
1/1/01

From https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10/28/dc-launches-two-month-comics-gap-in-2020-a-kind-of-convergence-ii/

You know how we said that, numerically, we might be getting a Batman #100 in August? Well, make that September.

Bleeding Cool heard at MCM London Comic Con from rather well-connected folk that DC Comics may be doing something similar to Convergence. You may recall you heard about that at Bleeding Cool first too when we referred to it as the DC Band-Aid –  though we also were the first to tell you what it was actually called as well. Two months where regular comic book stories are halted, to tell a cross-continuity story affecting all books.

At the time, it was in aid of DC Comics moving from New York to Burbank, and editor Marie Javins was brought into the company to take on putting out all eighty-nine-or-so books that made up the event, often including lesser well-known creators to DC Comics. Getting them all out of the door, giving the rest of DC editorial a chance to move properly, saw her promoted within the group to her current position as Group Editor of the Justice League books.

Well, it’s happening again. But rather than covering a more from once coast to the other it will be there to get DC Comics timeliness back on track. When books are not late right now, they are squeakily close to being so. And so you get issues like Superman and Supergirl featuring characters of the wrong ethnic background. Batpenises on display. And all manner of stuff getting sneaked through, unapproved.1

Giving all teams a two-month gap to get ahead and up to speed might be what everyone needs. To start preparing for 5G in 2021 (or sooner). And it seems that, once again Marie Javins will be the one tasked with delivering the new DC Band-Aid.

Convergence II would be too on the nose. Anyone have a suggestion? No, Heidi, not Blood Moon…
Edited: 10/29/19 9:42 AM
1/1/01

paw comments: Sigh. I don't really believe the above to be true. DC Editorial has either:

1. been horrible for quite some time 
  2. is used as a scape goat

I remember way back when Devin Grayson was raping Nightwing that she pointed out how easy it was to slip things by editorial. And IIRC, when Batpenis happened, DC's initial response was "it's a mature readers book" and only later changed the story and talked about editorial gaps when the criticism didn't stop.

My point is, I honestly think DC makes horrible editorial decisions, and then back pedals when fans complain. If that is the case, then for crying out loud, own it. Stand by your creative decisions and tell fans "sorry you didn't like the story/art/arc/event/whatever".

As for taking two months to get stories back on time - I don't know what to say. Putting out a monthly comic book is the job. Hire people that can do the job.
10/29/19 10:13 AM
3/7/05
So wait, there will be no DC books for two months? That seems like a good way to lose lots of readers.
10/29/19 10:15 AM
1/1/01
BigWilliam - So wait, there will be no DC books for two months? That seems like a good way to lose lots of readers.

Agreed. I just don't see how DC can take two months off and survive from a financial perspective. But I suspect DC will run a meanlingless event for those two months instead (or something like that) - assuming the rumor is true. 

Edited: 10/29/19 10:24 AM
3/7/05
Wow, put everything on hold, run some cash grab, half baked event and then expect readers to just come back? DC should at least buy them dinner before trying to fuck them like that.
10/29/19 4:54 PM
10/27/03
paw -
BigWilliam - So wait, there will be no DC books for two months? That seems like a good way to lose lots of readers.

Agreed. I just don't see how DC can take two months off and survive from a financial perspective. But I suspect DC will run a meanlingless event for those two months instead (or something like that) - assuming the rumor is true. 

Financially survive?

Theyre owned by Warner Brothers. And the big2  comics production are basically viewed as loss leaders at this point by their parent company.

10/29/19 5:43 PM
1/1/01
FingerorMoon - 
paw -

Financially survive?

Theyre owned by Warner Brothers. And the big2  comics production are basically viewed as loss leaders at this point by their parent company.

I strongly suspect that WB views the characters as important, but cannot imagine DC is not required to pull it's share on the balance sheet.  DC losing *some* money might be ok. DC losing *more than some* money, is probably not ok and surely would have consequences - like staff getting laid off and DC publishing fewer comics.

Even though DC is owned by WB, they can't just publish anyting they want as long as they want because WB will pick up the slack financially. That's not how corporations work.

10/29/19 7:01 PM
10/27/03
paw - 
FingerorMoon - 
paw -

Financially survive?

I strongly suspect that WB views the characters as important, but cannot imagine DC is not required to pull it's share on the balance sheet.  DC losing *some* money might be ok. DC losing *more than some* money, is probably not ok and surely would have consequences - like staff getting laid off and DC publishing fewer comics.

Even though DC is owned by WB, they can't just publish anyting they want as long as they want because WB will pick up the slack financially. That's not how corporations work.

I'm well aware how corporations work. I worked for one of the worlds largest ones for 15+ years.
DC mgt aren't authorising this on their own. WB mgt aren't in for a surprise like, "hey what happened to DC comic sales this month?. They're going to have to fire staff to make up for this!"
A move like that obviously gets cleared and signed off with senior management and DC's financial survival won't be an issue.