GeekGround DC's new timeline starts in WW #750

1/13/20 9:45 AM
1/1/01
From https://www.newsarama.com/48569-wonder-woman-750-marks-the-debut-of-dc-s-new-official-timeline-with-scott-snyder-bryan-hitch.html

DC Co-Publisher Dan DiDio has revealed that DC's new official timeline, announced last year, will become the DC Universe's official history starting with the renumbered Wonder Woman #750 in a story from writer Scott Snyder and artist Bryan Hitch that establishes Wonder Woman as the new timeline's first superhero.

"There's been a lot of chatter, myself included, about our timeline," DiDio said in Facebook Q&A with retailers. "The purpose is to bring in a baseline of storytelling that brings a level of consistency and more uniformity in the interpretations of the characters. We are looking to build a series of books that will re-tell the history of the DC Universe. In some ways, that will become our bible for the DC Universe."

"One of the first places you'll see this happening is in Wonder Woman #750," DiDio continued. "The change in numbering is purposeful in the sense that [Wonder Woman #750] is the first time that we're acknowledging the timeline, and establishing [Wonder Woman] as our first superhero, in a story by Scott Snyder and Bryan Hitch. Something similar is going to be happening in The Flash."

DC previously hinted that Wonder Woman was the new chronology's first superhero in early glimpses of the timeline, with DiDio's comments now confirming the development.

Wonder Woman #750 is due out January 22, followed by the similarly renumbered Flash #750 on February 26. 
1/13/20 9:48 AM
1/1/01

paw comments: There have been glimpses, hints, etc... about DC's new timeline and, of course, there's speculation based on what's been seen.

I'll fast forward to the end - it doesn't look good at all based on what's been seen.

1/13/20 10:08 AM
3/7/05

What cracks me up is their movie timeline is now just as messed up as their comic continuity. The Joker movie is set, it looks, in the early 80s? But Joker is also in Suicide Squad and by appearances a completely different person who maybe gets killed in the Harley Quinn movie. And WW has been running around for a hundred years yet Batman the world's greatest detective had never heard of her...

DC couldn't keep a timeline straight in any venue if their lives depended on it.

Edited: 1/14/20 5:02 AM
9/6/11
BigWilliam - What cracks me up is their movie timeline is now just as messed up as their comic continuity. The Joker movie is set, it looks, in the early 80s? But Joker is also in Suicide Squad and by appearances a completely different person who maybe gets killed in the Harley Quinn movie. And WW has been running around for a hundred years yet Batman the world's greatest detective had never heard of her...

DC couldn't keep a timeline straight in any venue if their lives depended on it.

This may seem just as ridiculous as your original point (not your point being ridiculous, but DC's inability to stick to a cohesive film timeline being ridiculous), but the Joker film specifically has been called the first film of the "DC Black" film franchise, which in and of itself is supposed to be a film universe where all the films in that universe take place in their own universe and are not tied to any pre-established continuity, whether it be the DCEU or any other Black film.

It's essentially in the same vein as stuff like the "All Star" imprint, the "Elseworlds" imprint, etc. There's also literally a "DC Black Label" in the comics with the same goal of telling non-connected and mature/edgy stories. Supposedly all the moves in the "Black Universe" are going to be hard R.

1/14/20 2:28 PM
3/7/05

That is the first I have heard of that. At least that addresses some of the timing issues. I find it kind of funny that while they cannot fix the problems in their 'first' film universe they decide to go ahead and make another one!

Still Joker made a lot of money. Is there anything else planned in that movie line yet? A hard R Batman?

1/14/20 5:37 PM
10/11/18

And by Wonder Woman #751 they'll have screwed it up again.

1/15/20 6:15 AM
9/6/11
BigWilliam - That is the first I have heard of that. At least that addresses some of the timing issues. I find it kind of funny that while they cannot fix the problems in their 'first' film universe they decide to go ahead and make another one!

Still Joker made a lot of money. Is there anything else planned in that movie line yet? A hard R Batman?

The latest update I can find is from Todd Phillips, which I guess is the mastermind of the idea in the same vein as Kevin Feige rules the MCU and Snyder was the honcho for the DCEU.

He's saying that a Joker sequel will probably happen, and with the success of Joker, DC is ready to move forward with his idea of a "Black Universe". The idea is that independent directors/companies get one movie at a reduced budget (Joker was made for about $50 million, compare this to Endgame which took over $300 million to make) but the benefit is they can tell whatever story they want and it can be as mature/edgy as they want.

We will probably hear more about the Black Universe once award season ends and DC moves forward with their plans for a Joker sequel.

1/16/20 9:40 AM
3/7/05
PdW2kX - 
BigWilliam - That is the first I have heard of that. At least that addresses some of the timing issues. I find it kind of funny that while they cannot fix the problems in their 'first' film universe they decide to go ahead and make another one!

The latest update I can find is from Todd Phillips, which I guess is the mastermind of the idea in the same vein as Kevin Feige rules the MCU and Snyder was the honcho for the DCEU.

He's saying that a Joker sequel will probably happen, and with the success of Joker, DC is ready to move forward with his idea of a "Black Universe". The idea is that independent directors/companies get one movie at a reduced budget (Joker was made for about $50 million, compare this to Endgame which took over $300 million to make) but the benefit is they can tell whatever story they want and it can be as mature/edgy as they want.

We will probably hear more about the Black Universe once award season ends and DC moves forward with their plans for a Joker sequel.

I can accept the story line of Joker a bit more knowing it is basically an 'elseworlds' style departure like that I suppose. Though still it felt nothing like the Joker character.

Maybe they can do the Batman where Bruce Wayne is actually delusional and Alfred is the Joker from What Ever Happened to the Caped Crusader?