GeekGround Graded Comics TME

25 days ago
7/8/02

Somehow I never knew that there were companies out there that graded comics. Turns out this has been happening for 20 years?

This has certainly piqued my interest and got me back into comics for the first time in 20 years. It feels like this has put the power into the consumers hands. The days of getting 10% in store credit seem to be gone.

Anyone here have much experience buying or selling graded comics? How about sending away to be graded? 

24 days ago
1/1/01

This is from memory. 

There are two companies that grade comics, CGC is the better known of the two. You would have to follow their instructions, mail your comics to them and then wait for them to return the comics to you. It's expensive $20-$70 per comic and is only worthwhile if you have something rare that is worth..well, more than the cost of having the comic graded.

Chances are, you don't have any comics like that. 

Most collectors, myself included, have 1 or 2 comics per 1000 comics they have that are worth more than the cover price - the rest are essentially worthless. The last time I sold comics, I was offered $.10 per comic and I was very happy to get that.

24 days ago
7/8/02

Ya, I’ve gone through my collection and don’t see a lot worth getting graded. Maybe 5-10 issues at most. Plus it seems unless a comic is in true near mint condition it’s not worth doing at all unless it’s a $1000+ comic.

Still. I like the idea of being able to buy an already graded comic and knowing the value is a true value.

Going off eBay sales, certain comics are selling for big money and often well over guide price.

24 days ago
7/8/02

I guess the reason for the thread is I've bought a few and was excited about the prospects, but am kind of aimless right now. I can see this turning into a giant money pit. I love the look of the casings and had thought about collecting and displaying X-men 94-145. buying on eBay is nuts, especially with shipping. I have maybe 10 issues already in my collection, but paying $500 ish to get them graded isn't very appealing to me.
24 days ago
7/8/02

So I started by buying those 5. But kind of spinning my wheels thinking there has to be a better way. Already getting a little burnt out on it.

*i said 20 years since I collected, but more like 10 and been buying trades here and there over the last 10 years.

And making stupid mistakes hasn’t helped. The X-Men 12 I grabbed for $150 +shipping and thought I was getting a steal. Turns out the green label means incomplete comic haha.

17 days ago
3/7/05
If you have something worth a LOT that you never, ever want to read again sure. Otherwise no.
9 days ago
7/13/09

I went back and bought a ton of stuff at the beginning of the lockdown but that grading stuff is dumb to me since I just wanted the story and a piece of my childhood back that got stolen.

Then I’m going down the rabbit hole... I found YouTube videos of how they clean and press them to get better grades. So think that’s cool and want to maybe clean and press them and get some graded. Found another guy that does the cleaning and pressing and gets you graded at a discount through his site. I like the idea of getting beat old ones and fixing them up more than buying some sealed graded thing you can’t read. 

9 days ago
7/13/09
MrColdCock -

I guess the reason for the thread is I've bought a few and was excited about the prospects, but am kind of aimless right now. I can see this turning into a giant money pit. I love the look of the casings and had thought about collecting and displaying X-men 94-145. buying on eBay is nuts, especially with shipping. I have maybe 10 issues already in my collection, but paying $500 ish to get them graded isn't very appealing to me.

That Juggernaut is awesome 

9 days ago
7/8/02
JJitsu -

I went back and bought a ton of stuff at the beginning of the lockdown but that grading stuff is dumb to me since I just wanted the story and a piece of my childhood back that got stolen.

Then I’m going down the rabbit hole... I found YouTube videos of how they clean and press them to get better grades. So think that’s cool and want to maybe clean and press them and get some graded. Found another guy that does the cleaning and pressing and gets you graded at a discount through his site. I like the idea of getting beat old ones and fixing them up more than buying some sealed graded thing you can’t read. 

Well I caved and got together with some buddies. We sent some 30’ish comics to CBCS.

I’m interested to see what the grades come back as. 

I did get a local guy to press some for me. Not sure if he cleaned them, but they came back looking at least modestly improved. It’s certainly not a magic fix though. 

Personally I think at the very least, the grading of comics and market around it adds a little something to the niche of comic collecting. And I think the older issues that are more beat up benefit appearancewise. They look awesome in the cases IMO.

9 days ago
7/8/02
JJitsu -
MrColdCock -

That Juggernaut is awesome 

Ya. I really like it. A little less since I now know the significance of the green label. Issue 12 is even cooler IMO. Maybe I can get my hands on it some day.

I see you have a display in the favourite super hero thread. I’m gonna post a request over there for more pictures. I love that shit. Always looking for ideas.