GeekGround Henry Cavil exits as DCEU's Superman

9/12/18 10:37 AM
1/1/01

From https://www.cbr.com/henry-cavill-exits-superman/

Henry Cavill, who starred as Superman in Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League, is reportedly saying farewell to the so-called DC Extended Universe.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros. had sought to sign the actor for a long-rumored cameo in Shazam! However, sources indicate that negotiations broke down, pointing to the end of Cavill’s time in the iconic red cape.

The outlet contends the studio is turning a page on its cinematic universe, with a focus shifting away from the Man of Steel and toward a Supergirl film, reported just last month to be in development.

The reason for the negotiations impasse isn’t clear, with THR citing one Warner Bros. source as saying it came down to a scheduling conflict — after all, Cavill did just sign on to Netflix’s The Witcher — while another implied it may have come down to the studio’s desire to chart another course for its DC films after a rocky start.

It’s quite possible, then, that Warner Bros. will have both a new Superman and a new Batman, following persistent, nearly two-year rumors that Ben Affleck is finished playing the Dark Knight. Director Matt Reeves’ The Batman would, of course, then introduce a new Bruce Wayne, but an unnamed source told THR that it may be a while before a new Superman movie goes into production.

The 35-year-old Cavill was cast in the title role of director Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel, the divisive 2013 that retroactively launched the DCEU, and then returned in 2016’s Batman v Superman and 2017’s Justice League, none of which earned the reception, or the blockbuster status, Warner Bros. might have envisioned. While there had been rumblings of a Man of Steel sequel, no concrete developments had ever emerged.
9/12/18 10:42 AM
1/1/01

paw comments:  I don't fault Cavil for Superman's cinematic short comings.  I lay that at the feet of the writers and directors.  If the rumor about DC shifting to Supergirl is true, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.  The only DCEU film that has been favorably received was WW - so DC trying to push more female superheroes makes sense and keeps in line with the Birds of Prey, Harley Quinn films.

But DC is missing the point.  It's not the hero, per se, it's all about the story.  Zack Synder, et al just can't deliver on a good superhero story.  Get rid of him, plan (yes, it must be a thought out plan --- stop throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks) a new direction, and....maybe.

9/12/18 12:42 PM
1/1/01

Cavil's manager

Be peaceful, the cape is still in his closet. has been and continues to be our partners as they evolve the DC Universe. Anticipate a WB statement later today.

Edited: 9/12/18 1:50 PM
1/1/01

Warner Brother's official statement

Statement from Warner Bros.: "While no decisions have been made regarding any upcoming Superman films, we’ve always had great respect for and a great relationship with Henry Cavill, and that remains unchanged"

9/12/18 3:44 PM
9/7/07

Did you see who the possible replacement will be?  Lol

9/13/18 3:07 PM
3/7/05
Henry was one of the few things NOT wrong with the DCEU
9/14/18 2:59 AM
6/8/08

I heard Affleck is going to play Supes and Bats in the next one. It's going to be a Eddie Murphy style situation and lots of laughs will be had. 

9/14/18 6:34 PM
1/1/01
BigWilliam - Henry was one of the few things NOT wrong with the DCEU

and that's why he left. He knew he was on a sinking ship. His star is rising, while the DCEU is slowing sliding into irrelevance.
9/17/18 1:18 AM
4/25/11

Henry Cavill sucks anyways. 

DC Cinematic Universe is much better off without them

Very much looking forward to the green lantern movie

9/17/18 10:17 AM
3/7/05
Liyon - 

and that's why he left. He knew he was on a sinking ship. His star is rising, while the DCEU is slowing sliding into irrelevance.

Ah, well that would make sense actually.
9/17/18 10:45 AM
4/25/11

Wtf does dceu stand for anyway

9/17/18 10:47 AM
1/1/01
Mookie 3:16 Is My Hero - 

Wtf does dceu stand for anyway

DC Extended Universe

9/19/18 9:17 PM
1/1/01
BigWilliam - 
Liyon - 

Ah, well that would make sense actually.

The other thing is there's no time table for another Superman or Justice League movie and WB basically wants to keep him around to guest-spot in other DCEU movies. In other words, he would potentially be missing out on other high-profile gigs by being stuck doing Superman cameos.
9/20/18 1:46 PM
12/14/00
I liked Cavil as Superman, and I'm not even a fan of the character itself. Too bad they didn't use Doomsday and the death of Superman for the Justice League movie. That would've been a perfect way for Henry to exit, but still maybe come back later.
9/23/18 7:16 PM
11/6/06

Cavill should become Sentry in the mcu for LULs

9/25/18 9:46 PM
11/11/07
He was a near-perfect Superman put into three films made by people who have no clue how to tell a Superman story.

Hope he strikes gold as Geralt in The Witcher - if that series works, it will be a massive, long-running hit IMO. Fantasy, monsters, romance and sex, it has all the ingredients.
9/30/18 1:24 PM
1/1/01
Zoot - He was a near-perfect Superman put into three films made by people who have no clue how to tell a Superman story.

Hope he strikes gold as Geralt in The Witcher - if that series works, it will be a massive, long-running hit IMO. Fantasy, monsters, romance and sex, it has all the ingredients.

Agreed. It really seems WB and the people they have in charge of the DCEU have no goddamn clue how the characters work or how to frame a decent storyline. If they had brains they would hire Whedon to helm the universe as at least he is a fan boy who can write and direct and gets source material.
Edited: 10/1/18 12:14 AM
4/25/13

10/1/18 10:27 AM
3/7/05
Whedon had a hand in the Justice League and look how that turned out. I think his best days are well behind him now. They should look for some talented more indie style film maker. Marvel has had amazing luck with those types.
10/1/18 10:41 AM
1/1/01
BigWilliam - Whedon had a hand in the Justice League and look how that turned out. I think his best days are well behind him now. They should look for some talented more indie style film maker. Marvel has had amazing luck with those types.

To add to this, I recently read a comic book that Whedon wrote (Giles).  It was one of the worst things I've ever written.  I suspect BigWilliam is correct.  Whedon's best days may be behind him.

10/1/18 2:10 PM
1/1/01
We've seen Batman and Superman (and WW somewhat) pretty much non-stop since the 60s. I think the characters have run their course. But, no one else in the DC universe is very interesting... Flash has a SHITTY TV show, Supergirl, Arrow, etc, the same.

Not sure what there is left to do for them. Marvel's characters, except for Spiderman, are all pretty fresh to movie audiences.
10/1/18 2:37 PM
3/7/05
Stronghold - We've seen Batman and Superman (and WW somewhat) pretty much non-stop since the 60s. I think the characters have run their course. But, no one else in the DC universe is very interesting... Flash has a SHITTY TV show, Supergirl, Arrow, etc, the same.

Not sure what there is left to do for them. Marvel's characters, except for Spiderman, are all pretty fresh to movie audiences.

And yet we had some great Batman movies not that long ago. First thing they need to treat the stories as if they actually liked them and get creative people that understand that.
10/2/18 1:24 PM
1/1/01
Well... true and WW with they railly chick wasn't too bad (the final reveal pretty much ruined the movie though).

It also begs the question of why the DC cartoon movies are so good and the live action are horrible. Couldn't they just put one of the better cartoons into live action to see if it works?
10/2/18 2:33 PM
1/1/01
Stronghold - Well... true and WW with they railly chick wasn't too bad (the final reveal pretty much ruined the movie though).

It also begs the question of why the DC cartoon movies are so good and the live action are horrible. Couldn't they just put one of the better cartoons into live action to see if it works?

I thought everyone had realized that it was Zach Snyder that was the biggest problem with the DCEU?
10/2/18 2:36 PM
1/1/01
DC hasn't