GeekGround Hickman speaks about X-Men continuity

6/25/19 1:48 PM
1/1/01
From https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06/25/jonathan-hickman-calls-x-men-continuity-random-unconnected-gibberish/

In just one month, superstar writer Jonathan Hickman will team with artists Pepe Larraz and R.B. Silva to relaunch the X-Men. But it seems that Hickman views the job as a massive undertaking, as he took to Twitter Monday to refer to X-Men continuity as “some nonsense.”

“There are no rules here,” Hickman said of the continuity of the greatest franchise in comics history. “There is no order. Just random unconnected gibberish.”

Jonathan Hickman
Verified account

X-Men continuity is some nonsense. 
There are no rules here. There is no order. Just random unconnected gibberish. 
I just wrote 5000 words on when someone can, and cannot, utter the phrase "Omega Level"
This is a job I have in the United States of America.

t looks like Hickman is hoping to turn things around with his upcoming relaunch, claiming to have written “5,000 words on when someone can, and cannot, utter the phrase ‘Omega Level.'” Presumably, Hickman has invented a bunch of symbols and created elaborate charts about it too, because it’s what he does, though he hasn’t explicitly said so.

In addition to trashing X-Men continuity, in the past few days Hickman also fat-shamed legendary musician Glenn Danzig, expressed a desire to coat the nude body of fellow Marvel writer Jason Aaron in cocaine at an upcoming Marvel creative summit, and admitted ambivalence about the possible death of Marvel Senior Editor Jordan White.
6/25/19 1:49 PM
3/7/05
Greatest franchise? That is highly debatable.
6/25/19 1:50 PM
1/1/01

paw comments: I'm probably in the minority, but I would very much like to read Hickman's 5000 words on Omega Level.

6/25/19 1:53 PM
1/1/01
BigWilliam - Greatest franchise? That is highly debatable.

In fairness, Hickman never claimed that, it was the article writer.

6/25/19 8:01 PM
9/13/02

yep. love the tweet.

No photo description available.

6/26/19 11:39 AM
3/7/05
paw - 

Ok, well then the writer is a doofus.
6/26/19 11:41 AM
1/1/01
BigWilliam - 
paw - 

Ok, well then the writer is a doofus.

The writer is writing for bleedingcool...so, yeah. They are a doofus by definition.

As an aside, it's surprisingly difficult to find sites that just report news. All the sites seem to do the "here's what you should think about this event that just happened" thing. 

6/26/19 1:37 PM
3/7/05
Yeah, the editorial passed up the journalism long ago, in particular in sites like bleeding cool.
7/10/19 3:00 PM
1/1/01

Go to a MU wiki and pick a character to read up on... Cyclops is a good one.  It is morass of confusion and half baked sub plots that drones on and on

7/10/19 3:34 PM
1/1/01
Stronghold - 

Go to a MU wiki and pick a character to read up on... Cyclops is a good one.  It is morass of confusion and half baked sub plots that drones on and on

OMG...Those are awesome.  Here's my favorite section, Scott's love life!:

Marriages/Wives:
  • Jean Grey - Marvel Girl & Phoenix: The first love.[4]
  • Madelyne Pryor - Red Queen & Anodine: The clone of Jean. The first wife.[48]

Courtships/Dating:
  • Emma Frost - White Queen: The great lover after Jean Grey and Madelyne.[120]
  • Colleen Wing - Lady Samurai: Only a brief dating.[37]
  • Aleytys Forrester - Captain Lee: Only a brief dating.[179]

Flirt/Flirtations:
  • Elizabeth Braddock - Psylocke: She felt attracted to him for a while.[180]
  • Neena Thurman - Domino: She felt attracted to him for a brief moment.[181]
  • Joanna Cargill - Frenzy: It's complex. See "Age of X".
  • Ororo Munroe - Storm: From Alternate Reality.[182]
  • Eva Bell - Tempus: She felt attracted to him.[178]
  • Maria Hill: She feels attracted to him.[183]

7/10/19 9:51 PM
5/11/04
Love them or hate them what comic book franchise was ever bigger (greater) than the X-Men ? Have we forgotten how HUGE the X-Men were ? You could make a case for The Avengers, but that's only because of the MCU and that was only because Marvel couldn't get FOX to part with the X-Men. Look for X-Men to eclipse the Avengers, Spiderman, Justice League, ALL OF THEM once again as soon as they start appearing in the MCU...and everywhere else.
7/10/19 9:55 PM
5/11/04
As for Hickman...it seems he isn't actually a fan of the X-Men or very familiar with the continuity. Seems like he just wants to put his stamp on it without knowing who the X-Men characters are and what makes them work despite the continuity craziness....It's a mess, but it's bot all random or nonsensical. Hope he doesn't toss out the baby with the bath water. The best writers can sift through the mess, take on the cooler parts of history/continuity and craft cool new stories. Remender's X-Force comes to mind.
7/11/19 9:17 AM
3/7/05
In terms of sales numbers I think Spiderman was the all time champ for Marvel. It really depends on the era you are looking at though.
8/19/19 12:28 AM
5/11/04
Jim Lee/Claremont to Maduiera...90's Cartoon to 1st X-Men movie era
8/29/19 11:30 PM
6/30/09

Anyone else been keeping up with this? Not sure if it deserves a new thread but from what I've read thus far; Hickmans xmen is a DAMN GOOD story. 

Spoilers:

I can't get 100% on board with the x3 storyline (including the phalanx and whatnot), but i can appreciate making mactaggart an interesting character and bringing back a bad ass like nimrod.

That said, wtf did i miss where prof x is back and alive and looks like the maker? Last i saw a newly resurrected Cyclops and wolverine were fighting random fucks in the park.

Regardless, the story is at least decent and imo well thought out. The info-gfx interspersed are also nice.

All this said, im REALLY looking forward to seeing mr sinister once again and especially hyped to see what they do with my main man Exodus

10/29/19 9:26 PM
5/11/04
Damm good story...BUUUUUT his story is creating an entirely new SUPERRRRRR complicated and soon to be convulted continuity. This is not simplifying things for future readers....but I'm used to complicated X-Men continuity and I do like it.
10/30/19 11:13 AM
3/7/05
A valid concern. It could easily spiral out of control. I don't like what they did with Mr Sinister. But there is a lot of potential and at least they came up with a reason that Charles and Magneto would suddenly see eye to eye with Apocalypse and really unify mutants under one banner.