UnderGround Forums How do you feel about the Tim Hague death/lawsuit?

4 days ago
5/8/13

I’ve heard many people here say stuff like adults can make their own decisions, if someone wants to fight, it’s their decision etc...   so I was just wondering who here really followed it, and is there blame or just a really unfortunate incident? I haven’t totally formed my own opinion so any info shared is appreciated.  Were all laws/rules followed?  Is it on the ref to stop it early if he feels a guy is outclassed but still pressing forward? Where do you draw the line? Sorry if I missed any other thread on this btw.

Edited: 4 days ago
3/13/11

He cleary never should of been licensed to fight, but he signed a waiver, so his family has no grounds for the wrongful death lawsuit imo . Sucks that it happened, hes not the first and wont be the last. He knew the risks.  

4 days ago
9/24/18

If a requirement for the fight to happen is that a fucking waiver needs to be signed, then that’s a pretty obvious sign the fight shouldn’t be happening in the first place. 

I feel the family has a case against the commission here. Waiver or not, it was at the very least reckless for them to allow the fight to happen. 

10/24/03

Why than have a athletic commission, pre medicals, blood work, ecg, eye exam, paperwork stating last few fights and results, etc? . THE CITY AND COMMISSION MAKE YOU GO THROUGH ALL THIS TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE FIT TO FIGHT and yet I see people pulled off cards for way, way less issues. EVERYONE involved dropped the ball here in my honest opinion. Shame on you Edmonton.. 

4 days ago
1/1/01
MMARAIDER - 

He cleary never should of been licensed to fight, but he signed a waiver, so his family has no grounds for the wrongful death lawsuit imo . Sucks that it happened, hes not the first and wont be the last. He knew the risks.  

Yeah, that's wrong.

Signing a waiver doesn't negate the fact that they licensed him when they should not have.

It's much more complicated than that.

There are a lot of details that haven't been made public, but it's a fucking shame in every way.

4 days ago
5/8/13
Fabes -
MMARAIDER - 

Yeah, that's wrong.

Signing a waiver doesn't negate the fact that they licensed him when they should not have.

There are a lot of details that haven't been made public, but it's a fucking shame in every way.

Duuuuude..... you can’t drop that on us without a single morsel of info!!  Anyway, can someone explain the waiver to me? Is that normal for all fighters in all orgs or was it something they just did for this one because they had a suspicion something could possibly go awry? That makes a huge difference.  And am I correct that he passed all medical tests preflight, and was technically cleared and ruled fit to fight? Or is there some shady stuff with that? 

4 days ago
1/10/13

What was the wavier needed? If he had failed medicals or was on suspension because of a recent KO or damage then he should not be fighting, waviers should not even be considered. It's hard for commissions to tell a fighter they cannot because of poor performances. When guys are coming off of KO/TKO's though, its easy to place them on 6-9 month suspension. If guys suffer numerous or consecutive bad KO's (Chuck Liddell) they should be able to enforce long or even permanent suspensions. 

Example, I seen Jessica Eye is already scheduled for a fight at the end of the year. That type of KO she received should require minimum 6-9 montms off. 

4 days ago
3/13/11
Fabes -
MMARAIDER - 

Yeah, that's wrong.

Yeah very true.  

4 days ago
1/1/01
Jones right nostril - 

If a requirement for the fight to happen is that a fucking waiver needs to be signed, then that’s a pretty obvious sign the fight shouldn’t be happening in the first place. 

I feel the family has a case against the commission here. Waiver or not, it was at the very least reckless for them to allow the fight to happen. 

The point is that it never should have come down to him signing a waiver. That never should have been an option. And signing a waiver dooes not nullify any lawsuit. The laws are much more complicated than that. If the Hague family is well represented, they absolutely have a case. But from what I know about court systems, facts and evidence don't always work due to corruption and imbeciles.

4 days ago
1/1/01
The Sauce -

Why than have a athletic commission, pre medicals, blood work, ecg, eye exam, paperwork stating last few fights and results, etc? . THE CITY AND COMMISSION MAKE YOU GO THROUGH ALL THIS TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE FIT TO FIGHT and yet I see people pulled off cards for way, way less issues. EVERYONE involved dropped the ball here in my honest opinion. Shame on you Edmonton.. 

I 100% agree with this. 

4 days ago
2/3/09
boxing wiz -

What was the wavier needed? If he had failed medicals or was on suspension because of a recent KO or damage then he should not be fighting, waviers should not even be considered. It's hard for commissions to tell a fighter they cannot because of poor performances. When guys are coming off of KO/TKO's though, its easy to place them on 6-9 month suspension. If guys suffer numerous or consecutive bad KO's (Chuck Liddell) they should be able to enforce long or even permanent suspensions. 

Example, I seen Jessica Eye is already scheduled for a fight at the end of the year. That type of KO she received should require minimum 6-9 montms off. 

That's the problem, it was a failure all around. Hague should not have been in the ring. He was TKO'ed in I think 3 consecutive fights and took a lot of damage. None of the physicians were told of his previous fight results/history etc. There's a ton of blame to go around everywhere in this incident. The promotion, the commission/city/province....The EEDC's statements seeking dismissal is pretty greasy, putting the entire honus onto the fighter. The truth is, fighters need to be protected, even from themselves at times. I would not hold any type of event there, given their statements...

4 days ago
11/9/17
MMARAIDER - 

Signing a waiver is just that, you have waived .........

4 days ago
1/8/04
Was the fight MMA or Boxing?
4 days ago
9/24/18
Siciliano di Brooklyn - Was the fight MMA or Boxing?

Boxing

9/24/18

4 days ago
12/9/13
boxing wiz -

KO? she was shot

4 days ago
1/1/01
I know this was after a boxing event and i'm not sure when he last boxed

but his last mma fight was 11 months prior and it was a :33 sec ko/tko
I have not looked at how bad it was.
when was he last boxing match before this one?
if he really had not fought in 11 months and passed his medicals i'm not sure much could have been done
4 days ago
2/3/09
Russ - I know this was after a boxing event and i'm not sure when he last boxed

if he really had not fought in 11 months and passed his medicals i'm not sure much could have been done

In his final years, Hague started to lose repeatedly, including a July 15, 2016, MMA fight in Sochi, a technical knockout (TKO) loss where he was kicked savagely in the head. He also lost Sept. 9, 2016, in Edmonton; Dec. 2, 2016, in Edmonton; and April 7, 2017, in Lethbridge, the last two also in TKOs.

That came from one of the local edmonton papers, back around the time of his death....So he was TKO in April, then took the Braidwood fight in June on like 2 weeks notice

4 days ago
1/1/01
Flyerfan - 
Russ - I know this was after a boxing event and i'm not sure when he last boxed

In his final years, Hague started to lose repeatedly, including a July 15, 2016, MMA fight in Sochi, a technical knockout (TKO) loss where he was kicked savagely in the head. He also lost Sept. 9, 2016, in Edmonton; Dec. 2, 2016, in Edmonton; and April 7, 2017, in Lethbridge, the last two also in TKOs.

That came from one of the local edmonton papers, back around the time of his death....So he was TKO in April, then took the Braidwood fight in June on like 2 weeks notice

thanks make more sense now
4 days ago
3/7/05
What is the point of having medicals and license if someone can just sign a wavier? The ac is supposed to make those calls to protect fighters from themselves.
4 days ago
11/21/11

Waivers are more of a scare tactic.   If the family can prove wrongdoing then the waiver is null.  If you have surgery and signed a wqiver acknowledging all the risks involved and the surgeon botches the job....you can still sue his ass regardless of waiver

4 days ago
1/1/01

You cannot sign a waiver that in any way negates your rights. If another party can be found in any way culpable, the can (and should) be prosecuted as such.

This goes for all waivers - including the one you sign at your gym. If you do some goofball shit that screws up your back, the waiver makes it easier to tell you "don't do goofball shit"; but if something about the *conditions* at the gym itself, or the reckless actions of the coach can be directly connected to whatever injury you might have sustained - the waiver means little to nothing.

He shouldn't have been licensed, and in order to ensure the same mistake doesn't happen again, the people who made those decisions need to be held accountable.

4 days ago
5/8/13
robert bentley -

You cannot sign a waiver that in any way negates your rights. If another party can be found in any way culpable, the can (and should) be prosecuted as such.

This goes for all waivers - including the one you sign at your gym. If you do some goofball shit that screws up your back, the waiver makes it easier to tell you "don't do goofball shit"; but if something about the *conditions* at the gym itself, or the reckless actions of the coach can be directly connected to whatever injury you might have sustained - the waiver means little to nothing.

He shouldn't have been licensed, and in order to ensure the same mistake doesn't happen again, the people who made those decisions need to be held accountable.

Good post 

4 days ago
11/18/11

The whole situation was such a travesty. Go back and read the comments on the forum here at the time.

3 days ago
6/17/16

I remember thinking he should have retired from combat at the end of his MMA career (I thought he actually did at first)and then not being impressed that he started boxing, seemed kind of like he was on a rocket ride to his doom. I was sad when he died but not actually that shocked or surprised. It was an obvious tragedy that he continued to compete as it was happening.

Him and other cases like his need to be kept in people's minds so that younger generations can learn from their examples and not make the same mistakes. I don't think combat sports will ever be completely 'safe', but they aren't meant to be. There are ways, however, that prices people pay for their participation can be minimalized so that it is a trade that makes more sense. There is always the possibility that you can be killed or maimed in any number of ways participating in combat sports but there are also ways to be prudent and intelligent about competing.

You only get one brain and one life.