GeekGround Joker film will anger comic book fans

7/8/19 3:55 PM
1/1/01
From https://www.cbr.com/joker-movie-anger-comic-book-fans/

Joker is set to be a huge departure for the character. According to director Todd Phillips, that was part of the intention for the film, and he believes some fans may not care for the changes the movie makes to the iconic villain.

Phillips revealed to Empire that the new film doesn't adopt any story beats from the comics. Phillips, who also co-wrote the film, explained, "We didn’t follow anything from the comic books, which people are gonna be mad about... We just wrote our own version of where a guy like Joker might come from. That’s what was interesting to me. We’re not even doing Joker, but the story of becoming Joker. It’s about this man.”

Fan speculation about the film and its version of the Joker has been running rampant since the first trailer was released. Phillips has been open about the film not meeting fan expectations, and that many fan theories aren't going to be the case for the film.

Directed by Todd Phillips, Joker stars Joaquin Phoenix, Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, Bill Camp, Frances Conroy, Brett Cullen, Glenn Fleshler, Douglas Hodge, Marc Maron, Josh Pais and Shea Whigham. The film arrives in theaters Oct. 4.
7/8/19 3:56 PM
1/1/01

paw comments: I don't understand why DC would make a "Joker" film that isn't about Joker. And why would you want to p!ss off your fanbase?

7/8/19 4:06 PM
3/7/05
Because that is what DC does. It is what almost everyone did/does aside from Nolan and the MCU.

Oh here is something neat, tons of story and character. I am going to do something completely different with it! Lex Luthor is an intimidating, tall, force of nature... I know let's have jesse eisenberg play him comical!

The real stroke of genius in the MCU was to get creative people that respected and understood the source material. DC/WB for some reason cannot get this through their thick skulls so we get more of this crap.
7/8/19 8:48 PM
6/30/07

"We didn’t follow anything from the comic books, which people are gonna be mad about... We just wrote our own version of where a guy like Joker might come from."

Brilliant move

7/9/19 10:01 AM
3/7/05
The idea of the Joker having an origin is just not right. Somethings are better left a mystery. I think this version was done in a comic, or at least variations of it were.

Batman comes to visit Joker in Arkham, tries to talk sense to him and cannot get anywhere. So he decides to find out where the Joker comes from so he can figure him out finally. The world's greatest detective goes on the hunt, tracking down every myth and rumor. As he does he runs into the impossible. Multiple stories that are both verifiable, concrete truths and completely contradictory. Bats digs more and finds more contradictions, places, people, events that the Joker has to have in his history but that are impossible to make into a timeline that works.

Finally, unable to solve the contradictions he confronts the Joker again. Joker laughs and says 'Well if I have to have an origin I prefer, multiple choice.' Cue Batman's rage and Joker's mad laugh as the screen fades to black.
7/9/19 10:32 AM
1/1/01
Like people have said already, this is just a generic movie that used the "Joker" brand solely for marketing purposes. Will pass.
7/9/19 10:47 AM
3/7/05
Liyon - Like people have said already, this is just a generic movie that used the "Joker" brand solely for marketing purposes. Will pass.

I would have been more likely to see it if they had called it Clown Serial Killer instead of Joker. I predict this will be a huge bomb.
7/9/19 9:36 PM
2/25/06

I’m probably one of the few to say I think this looks good and I look forward to watching it. People expect too much from movies these days. Just go into the movie with no expectations and just experience it. 

7/10/19 12:15 PM
8/20/16
ABCTT_BullyKiller -

I’m probably one of the few to say I think this looks good and I look forward to watching it. People expect too much from movies these days. Just go into the movie with no expectations and just experience it. 

I disagree.

7/10/19 2:53 PM
1/1/01
BigWilliam - Because that is what DC does. It is what almost everyone did/does aside from Nolan and the MCU.

Oh here is something neat, tons of story and character. I am going to do something completely different with it! Lex Luthor is an intimidating, tall, force of nature... I know let's have jesse eisenberg play him comical!

The real stroke of genius in the MCU was to get creative people that respected and understood the source material. DC/WB for some reason cannot get this through their thick skulls so we get more of this crap.

Exactly.... And Wonder Woman, let's make her small chested!!

7/10/19 2:59 PM
2/25/06
blabbermouth -
ABCTT_BullyKiller -

I disagree.

I have kindly given you a VU for your valid opinion, sir. Enjoy your internet point.

7/10/19 11:24 PM
11/16/17

They have great actor playing joker and I'm hyped for it.

That said DC has fucked up.almost every movie. Swamp thing rules and they canceled it after 1 ep cause of the tax shit they got fucked on.

I'm going in expecting a shit show.....hope I'm qrong.

Edited: 7/11/19 6:10 AM
1/1/01
7/12/19 1:56 PM
2/25/06
FreightTrain - .

Great input there. Thanks Train. 

7/12/19 2:42 PM
3/7/05
Expecting a movie to not suck is really not setting a super high bar.
7/12/19 4:33 PM
1/1/01

At this point.... Werd

7/13/19 1:53 AM
7/13/09

Here’s the thing. The studios can NOT be pissed if this or anything else they attempt to troll the fans with bombs then..and fuck them if they cry whatever they’ll cry. The only reason people aren’t more pissed about this is because the trailer looks good and like they’re doing a Killing Joke origin.  They complain when hardcore fans ruin a movie by trolling it then they turn around and say stupid shit like this...or the force is feminine or let Captain Marvel talk. 

Fuck the director for even putting this shit out there. The only reason comic book movies are successful is because they usually stay true to the core of a character. When they do t they fail generally. So trying to be some grand arteest and saying you’re not using any material just reeks of being an egomaniac dickhead. Seems like they get off on trolling the core audience they expect to get money from. 

7/16/19 9:29 AM
3/7/05
At least this time they won't be accusing comic fans of sexism for not liking the movie.
7/16/19 9:34 AM
1/1/01
BigWilliam - At least this time they won't be accusing comic fans of sexism for not liking the movie.

They are just waiting until after it's released to start with the sexism accusations.

30 days ago
8/20/16
ABCTT_BullyKiller -
blabbermouth -
ABCTT_BullyKiller -

I disagree.

I have kindly given you a VU for your valid opinion, sir. Enjoy your internet point.

lol I sat there for a few minutes trying to figure out what to write without sounding like i was trying to start a fight. Sounds like the simplest solution was the best solution.

28 days ago
1/1/01
ABCTT_BullyKiller - 
FreightTrain - .

Great input there. Thanks Train. 

I cant remember what I wrote but it was the goddam app.

Didnt have time to try again.

:-/
26 days ago
10/11/18
BigWilliam - The idea of the Joker having an origin is just not right. Somethings are better left a mystery. I think this version was done in a comic, or at least variations of it were.

Batman comes to visit Joker in Arkham, tries to talk sense to him and cannot get anywhere. So he decides to find out where the Joker comes from so he can figure him out finally. The world's greatest detective goes on the hunt, tracking down every myth and rumor. As he does he runs into the impossible. Multiple stories that are both verifiable, concrete truths and completely contradictory. Bats digs more and finds more contradictions, places, people, events that the Joker has to have in his history but that are impossible to make into a timeline that works.

Finally, unable to solve the contradictions he confronts the Joker again. Joker laughs and says 'Well if I have to have an origin I prefer, multiple choice.' Cue Batman's rage and Joker's mad laugh as the screen fades to black.

Joker is the only character that it fits not having a set in stone origin.

We should have seen this coming when they said it wasn't going to be connected to the DCCU and not have a sequel.
25 days ago
3/7/05
Mr Karate - 
BigWilliam - The idea of the Joker having an origin is just not right. Somethings are better left a mystery. I think this version was done in a comic, or at least variations of it were.

We should have seen this coming when they said it wasn't going to be connected to the DCCU and not have a sequel.

Agreed, Joker is a very unusual case. Most characters benefit from a good backstory.
23 days ago
4/24/07
Mr Karate - 

Meh, that's sort of the thing. If you approach the movie from the mindset of a "what if" comic than you really can't be dissapointed. That's essentially is what they're saying, it's just obvious they really aren't comic fans and cant say it in a way that makes sense to comic readers. 

Like you said Joker is the only character where he has no set origin. So there is no real continuum to fuck up. They can't be "wrong" as they're being open about the fact that it's what they think a person like Joker came to be. 

What we deserve though is a Nolan film with Heath still being alive.