GeekGround Jonathan Hickman gets this right, imo

30 days ago
1/1/01

From https://www.newsarama.com/46082-the-big-mistakes-marvel-comics-makes-with-marvel-studios-tie-ins-according-to-jonathan-hickman.html

Jonathan Hickman isn't mincing words when it comes to what he sees as faults in the way Marvel Comics takes advantage of the immense, mainstream popularity of Marvel studios' films. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Hickman talks about the Marvel Comics reacting (as opposed to acting) to each MCU film.

"I think one of the big mistakes that some people make at Marvel Comics is that we are reactive to what they’re doing in the Marvel films," said Hickman. "We should not be taking our creative cues from the direction they’re taking things in the movies. That kind of defeats the point."

Hickman's work on the Marvel comic books Infinity and Secret Warriors have inspired storylines and characters in both the MCU movies and television, most notably the Black Order characters in Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.

"They have a billion dollars to play with, and we don’t. You can’t compete in that matter, and you shouldn’t," the writer continued. "My argument has been [that] I should always be way out in front of that stuff. All of that stuff is being drawn from source material."

Hickman's contributions to Marvel's comic books led him to be listed in the "Special Thanks" section of the aforementioned Avengers movies, as well as Black Panther and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

"It goes back to, are you being destructive or are you being additive? If you’re being additive and you’re on the big books, it’s inevitable that some of that stuff is going to get used," Hickman said. "When Marvel films gets around to the X-Men and we’ve done interesting stuff and they want to use it, that’s awesome. If they don’t, then they don’t. One makes your job expendable, the other one makes you priceless. I like having value to my work."
30 days ago
3/7/05
The comics have a huge advantage over films in that anything is possible on the page, ANYTHING. This is also their downfall many times.
12 days ago
3/7/05
Read Hickman's first two X-Books, very interesting stuff!
12 days ago
8/20/16
BigWilliam - Read Hickman's first two X-Books, very interesting stuff!

I only read Super X, I didn't know he had another one out already. what was it?

11 days ago
3/7/05
Powers of X and House of X are out. Both are very interesting, setting a lot of stuff up.
11 days ago
8/20/16

sorry, I meant I read Powers of X. I don't know what my brain was doing when I wrote that.