GeekGround Marvel announces The Next Great Superhero Team

29 days ago
1/1/01
From https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-doc-justice-and-the-j-team-announce/

A new super team is headed to the Marvel Universe.

Across social media, Marvel Entertainment heralded the rise of "the next great Super Hero team": Doc Justice and the J-Team. However, aside from a graphic that ranks this new team alongside the Avengers and the Defenders, no further information about the group has been revealed.

The teaser image indicates Doc Justice and the J-Team will arrive in 2019. As we head into the back half of the calendar year, with only four and a half months left, that means more information should be available soon. At the time of writing, though, it is unclear if Doc Justice and the J-Team will lead their own title, launch an event or make a guest appearance in another book.

Notably, Doc Justice and the J-Team are compared to the Avengers, the Defenders and the Thunderbolts, leaving out Marvel's two other major teams: the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. However, this may provide some key insight into who or what this team is. The Avengers, the Defenders and the Thunderbolts are made up of disparate individuals brought together by a cause or mission, where the X-Men are a people united in their fight for survival and the Fantastic Four are a family. As such, it seems Doc Justice and his J-Team could stem from a specific event rather than a state of being.

Doc Justice and the J-Team will arrive in 2019.

29 days ago
1/1/01

paw comments: Marvel hasn't been having much luck in making teams happen.  I think Champions was the last one Marvel tried to push, and while that didn't go to badly, it didn't really happen either.

29 days ago
3/7/05
Who puts the Thunderbolts on par with The Avengers and the Defenders? And who the hell is Doc Justice? The J Team? I don't want to prejudge but this looks like a laughing stock. They better have something huge to back it up.

Also, where are the FF and X-Men? Does anyone rank the Thunderbolts ahead of them? Hell X-Force, Alpha Flight and the New Mutants all have a strong case for being bigger.
29 days ago
1/1/01
No Guardians of the Galaxy? And where the hell are my New Warriors spear headed by the one and only Dick Rider?
29 days ago
1/1/01

They should have used Alpha Flight as an example of an 80's team.

28 days ago
1/1/01

Here's the first image of the team

28 days ago
10/27/03

Minimum 7 issues to cancellation. Max 16.

27 days ago
3/7/05
FingerorMoon - 

Unless there is some kick ass writer waiting in the wings to make this a surprise hit, that sounds about right.
27 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - 
FingerorMoon - 

Unless there is some kick ass writer waiting in the wings to make this a surprise hit, that sounds about right.

Agreed. Solid estimate FingerorMoon.

27 days ago
8/20/16

the title alone sounds like a bunch of executives brainstorming a concept that will be the coolest thing anyone would ever want to buy.

I bet it's going to look like a bunch of DC characters. i say this because of all those characters DC launched that were basically Marvel characters (Sideways, Damage, etc.)

26 days ago
3/7/05
Yeah the name really does reek of old dudes in expensive suits talking about what the 'kids on the street' are thinking these days. Then one of them has a vague memory of an exciting basketball player named Julius, Dr J. Doc J, that's it!
26 days ago
1/1/01
FingerorMoon - 

Runaways have proven resilient in the past.
26 days ago
1/1/01
BiggGunn - 
FingerorMoon - 

Runaways have proven resilient in the past.

Sort of. Maybe.

Full disclosure: I'm a fan of Runaways.

The first two volumes did pretty well (Vaughan), then iirc, we had Whedon for a a brief run.  And that was that. From a sales perspective, the book was cancelled when Whedon finished. Nothing for a few years. Then there was a very brief attempt at a relaunch that lasted...I dunno, not very long.  Wait another few years and we have the current run (Rowell) which has been going for close to two years now.

I think it's honest to say that Runaways has never really set the sales chart on fire after Vaughan left. IIRC, Runaways is dangerously close to the cancellation line in the current run at least in print. It might be a big seller digitially, but I very much doubt that. So from a sales perspective, Runaways can carry a title for a bit before they hit cancellation.

On plus side, Runaways has introduced some fairly popular characters that have appeared in other titles (Sister Grimm comes to mind - and much like my love for Monstress' Kippa, I adore Molly Hayes when she's written well). It's given someone new to comics, Rowell, a chance to write comics (Sidebar, I personally feel Rowell's doing a fine job. She's good - not bad, not great, but good. Right now, good is enough for me to stick with it).

I guess every character or team is one good pitch from getting an ongoing monthly or a tv show. 

25 days ago
3/7/05
Molly Hayes vs The Punisher is an all time great moment in comics.

https://memestatic.fjcdn.com/pictures/Punisher+vs+molly+hayes_7b3b8a_7062412.jpg
25 days ago
1/1/01

20 days ago
7/26/07
Doc Justice?
20 days ago
1/1/01

More Molly Hayes!!!!

20 days ago
3/7/05
I would love to see Molly throw Wolverine through a wall.
20 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - I would love to see Molly throw Wolverine through a wall.

20 days ago
1/1/01

20 days ago
1/1/01

last image might be hard to read, but the gist is:

wolverine takes molly to the danger room, and molly, being molly, has the danger room create butteflies and a unicorn. wolverine tells molly to get serious and molly decks him.

20 days ago
3/7/05
Nice, the expression on her face is awesome.
20 days ago
3/7/05
I went looking and found a larger version, a bit easier to read.

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/137152/3259093-molly%20hayes%20punching%20wolverine%20again.png
Edited: 20 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - Nice, the expression on her face is awesome.

The art is wonderful.