GeekGround My wish- Sequel trilogy do over. Thoughts?

10 days ago
6/30/07

It seems that Filoni is getting the respect he deserves at Disney finally and it also seems like he's the conduit to all things George Lucas. 

Lucas is famously disappointed in the trilogy.

During the purchase of SW by Disney Lucas turned over very detailed treatments for episodes 7, 8, & 9. Eiger bought them implying that they would be used even though the contract stated that Disney was under no obligation to do so.

What I would like to see is Filoni take those outlines and work with George to create full screen plays. Then produce 3 animated movies based on those screen plays with the team that did the Clone Wars series. Keep it as dark and nuanced as the best of the CW arcs.

I think it would do tremendously well based on the love people have for the CW series and the response the Mandalorian has received.

I also want an R rated animated Bane trilogy, but that's another thread.

Thoughts?

Edited: 10 days ago
1/1/01

I wish both the prequel and sequel trilogies could be redone. But as the prequels were actually George's ideas, I think a Filoni lead sequel trilogy would close the loop.

Edited: 10 days ago
10/27/03

I don’t think Lucas had ‘very detailed’ script treatments. Didn’t he just have the high level plan and overall arc?

Im not sure why people assume his would be better. Revenge of the Sith was ok but that was only because he HAD to do the Anakin turn to complete the backstory his younger self setup 30yrs previous.

Remember that Luke was not the son of Vader in the original 1977 movie. That was decided and added in mid 78 for the second movie and helped carry them through to the ending. That and Harrison Ford ignoring instruction and adlibbing.

10 days ago
1/1/01

I've heard a good things about various Star Wars novels. I'm not sure why the novels weren't adapted to film.

10 days ago
1/1/01

Luckily Lucas had a lot of people tell him his ideas and script sucked in the early days, and were able to pull it together. By the mid 90's he was so surrounded by yes men that no-one could tell him that no-one gives a shit about intergalactic trade negotiations.

I don't think that Lucas' plan for 7-9 would necessarily be better, but perhaps more joined up than the Abrams/Johnson/Abrams sandwich we got. Eps 1-3 are crap, but you can at least see that there is one vision going through it.

9 days ago
1/18/03
paw - 

I've heard a good things about various Star Wars novels. I'm not sure why the novels weren't adapted to film.

The books were hit or miss. I would say personally I enjoyed the majority of them. I have posted this before but if they were to get rid of episodes 7 8 and 9 I would take it up where the last book ends. There are a shit ton of Sith in the universe that came from a planet where they were not killed. There are Lukes Jedi.

How I would have started the movie is brief explanation of Sith, first scene Luke and his son fight 4 Sith and beat their asses. Quick conversation between Luke and his son. A half dozen red lightsabers flash into being. Luke says some corny "This could be a problem" line. Blaster takes out one Sith, another lightsaber flashes open Han and Leia's daughter (AKA The Sword of the Jedi from the Yuuzon Vong wars) appears the three of them kill the remaining Sith with help from sniper fire. Leia's daughter's boyfriend/husband makes his appearance as the Sniper. Movie continues from there where you slowly faze out Luke (goes back to teaching at the academy) over the three films and base the new films around the son, daughter and boyfriend while introducing new characters while having the old characters make cameos.

You can continue the story line already established where Leia's daughter and husband take over the remnants of the empire and establish their own Jedi order there.

Win/win for everyone. You have the continuation of the Skywalker family, Luke doesn't go out remembered as some quitting bitch, strong female lead. Everyone is happy.

Except Kathleen Kennedy who wanted to destroy the Skywalker legacy.
9 days ago
1/1/01
JLK - 
paw - 

The books were hit or miss. I would say personally I enjoyed the majority of them. I have posted this before but if they were to get rid of episodes 7 8 and 9 I would take it up where the last book ends. There are a shit ton of Sith in the universe that came from a planet where they were not killed. There are Lukes Jedi.

How I would have started the movie is brief explanation of Sith, first scene Luke and his son fight 4 Sith and beat their asses. Quick conversation between Luke and his son. A half dozen red lightsabers flash into being. Luke says some corny "This could be a problem" line. Blaster takes out one Sith, another lightsaber flashes open Han and Leia's daughter (AKA The Sword of the Jedi from the Yuuzon Vong wars) appears the three of them kill the remaining Sith with help from sniper fire. Leia's daughter's boyfriend/husband makes his appearance as the Sniper. Movie continues from there where you slowly faze out Luke (goes back to teaching at the academy) over the three films and base the new films around the son, daughter and boyfriend while introducing new characters while having the old characters make cameos.

You can continue the story line already established where Leia's daughter and husband take over the remnants of the empire and establish their own Jedi order there.

Win/win for everyone. You have the continuation of the Skywalker family, Luke doesn't go out remembered as some quitting bitch, strong female lead. Everyone is happy.

Except Kathleen Kennedy who wanted to destroy the Skywalker legacy.

Not sure I followed all that, but it does sound interesting. More interesting than episodes 7-9.

9 days ago
1/18/03
Yeah sorry about that I was trying to explain my vision while explaining the characters used that fans of the books wouldn't know.
9 days ago
1/1/01
JLK - Yeah sorry about that I was trying to explain my vision while explaining the characters used that fans of the books wouldn't know.

I'm sure it was confusing for me because I'm not a big Star Wars fan and I've never read the books. (read: paw doesn't know jack)

9 days ago
10/27/03
paw - 

They definitely should have taken inspiration from the better novels.

It's really due to the inclusion of the original cast that things got awkward.
Has to be set around 30 years later to account for their age difference ... but how much do you alter their personalities? Freeze them in time or have them dramatically different?

The books had the long slow introduction of the Solo children (Han and Leia's kids), we read about them being born and they age over time as the novels cover a 30year span. They slowly grow into main character adults in their own right and the older cast begin to take more of a backseat.

But the movies needed to introduce us to everyone immediately 30years later. So the 3 Solo children were erased and replaced with Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, Rey and the mystery plot of how everything tied together (where we later found out there was nothing in the box and no one had any idea what to do).

8 days ago
3/7/05
As long as kathleen kennedy, ruin johnson and JJ are not involved, yes.
7 days ago
5/22/02
I would like them to publish every scrap of footage filmed for all 9 movies in the highest quality possible and let the world crowdsource the ultimate version of the Skywalker saga.
7 days ago
1/18/03
johnnypayne - I would like them to publish every scrap of footage filmed for all 9 movies in the highest quality possible and let the world crowdsource the ultimate version of the Skywalker saga.

As of episode 9 we learned that it is not the Skywalker saga, it was the Palpatine saga. Palpatine is around (not shown) in all 9 films and his granddaughter becomes the greatest Jedi in the history of Jedi. Luke became some loser drinking milk straight out of a space cow's tit.
4 days ago
3/7/05
JLK - 
johnnypayne - I would like them to publish every scrap of footage filmed for all 9 movies in the highest quality possible and let the world crowdsource the ultimate version of the Skywalker saga.

As of episode 9 we learned that it is not the Skywalker saga, it was the Palpatine saga. Palpatine is around (not shown) in all 9 films and his granddaughter becomes the greatest Jedi in the history of Jedi. Luke became some loser drinking milk straight out of a space cow's tit.

And that is why they sucked. Fucking hell what is wrong with ruin johnson? Is he really that fucking stupid?
Edited: 4 days ago
10/27/03
BigWilliam -
JLK - 

And that is why they sucked. Fucking hell what is wrong with ruin johnson? Is he really that fucking stupid?

That part wasn’t Johnson. He clearly threw out the idea of lineage being the driving force of Star Wars. Rey’s parents were nobodies and the little kid at the end is inspired by the idea that anybody can grow to be a hero.

It was in Rise of Skywalker they awkwardly retconned that.

2 days ago
3/7/05
FingerorMoon - 
BigWilliam -
JLK - 

That part wasn’t Johnson. He clearly threw out the idea of lineage being the driving force of Star Wars. Rey’s parents were nobodies and the little kid at the end is inspired by the idea that anybody can grow to be a hero.

It was in Rise of Skywalker they awkwardly retconned that.

That's fair. ruin's movie was such an abomination I tend to just default to it being his fault. It was really kathleen kennedy overall though.
2 days ago
10/27/03
A time machine is handy but IMO there is no reason at all that the 3rd movie had to turn out that bad. It was such a gross overreaction to the backlash of The Last Jedi. It was including the Emperor that ruined everything. They needed to lean in to the things setup by The Last Jedi and bring things to a satisfying conclusion.

Example -

Kylo Ren has now 'killed the past' like he said he would.
The movie opens with him blowing up Leia's ship, (since Carrie Fisher had died) completing his transition to the ultimate bad guy. In the 3rd movie he's no longer whiny and insecure, he's now supremely self confident he has surpassed Darth Vader.
There is no Emperor or other big bad guy. Kylo Ren is the new big bad.
Keep the Sith home planet. He is trying to find it to become the Sith god.

Rey is trying to stop him. You can keep her as a nobody or make her a secret Skywalker if you must. Since we already know that Snoke was whispering in everyones mind. Make it that he knew about Luke's daughter being more powerful than all of them. He whispered to Luke that his daughter must be outcast, her memories erased, so her power could never become an issue. He was too focused on her, never foresaw that Kylo would have the balls to kill him and take over.

Delete the hand wavium magic Sith ship fleet ...because it was garbage. The First Order can fulfil that role just fine. And Finn - the disenchanted Stormtrooper - leads an insurrection and convinces a significant portion of the The First Order soldiers to turn and join him in taking down the order ...giving that character a much better story arc.

I know everyone thinks their fanfic version works better, but IMO this all would have worked way better.
1 day ago
1/18/03
Your version doesn't sound that bad either Finger. The problem was that Kennedy's whole point with these three movies were to destroy the Skywalker legacy.

To a certain extent she succeeded as Star Wars is pretty much dead. Most of the fans don't care about the franchise anymore which shows in the merchandising sales.
1 day ago
10/27/03
JLK - Your version doesn't sound that bad either Finger. The problem was that Kennedy's whole point with these three movies were to destroy the Skywalker legacy.

To a certain extent she succeeded as Star Wars is pretty much dead. Most of the fans don't care about the franchise anymore which shows in the merchandising sales.

I don't think she is some evil manipulator intent on destroying the Skywalkers.
More an obsession with seeing girl power take over Star Wars and a level of power that was above her competency.
She's always been a producer ensuring genius creatives vision gets to the screen. Millus/Spielberg/Lucas etc... I think she was too used to operating under all powerful directors and took the tact of its not her job to tell the director what to do and they need to complete their vision.
With her as the big boss, she gave Star Wars over to work-for-hire creatives with carte blanche to do whatever they fuck they wanted.
1 day ago
3/7/05
The problem with most crusaders like her is that the crusade is all that matters and story telling is not even on their radar.

Was Mad Max Fury Road feminist? Maybe, but it was such a good movie who cares?
22 hours ago
1/18/03
FingerorMoon - 
JLK - Your version doesn't sound that bad either Finger. The problem was that Kennedy's whole point with these three movies were to destroy the Skywalker legacy.

More an obsession with seeing girl power take over Star Wars and a level of power that was above her competency.
She's always been a producer ensuring genius creatives vision gets to the screen. Millus/Spielberg/Lucas etc... I think she was too used to operating under all powerful directors and took the tact of its not her job to tell the director what to do and they need to complete their vision.
With her as the big boss, she gave Star Wars over to work-for-hire creatives with carte blanche to do whatever they fuck they wanted.

The character who did everything he could to redeem his father whom he'd never met who had participated in genocide, killing all the Jedi, ushering in the Sith as leaders, slavery of entire races then almost kills his nephew who he has known all his life for something he might do.

Then Luke fucks off to a backwater world to drink milk out of space cow titties while the Empire comes back and blows up 5 more planets.

The sequel trilogy completely erases Luke's accomplishments. Blowing up the Death Star? Doesn't matter the First Order builds the planet killer that took out 5 planets. Killing the Emperor? Didn't happen he's still alive and kicking. Rebuilt the Jedi? Nope that all went to shit due to Luke's incompetence.

They took a hero and turned him into putz. If that wasn't done deliberately then Kennedy shouldn't be be in charge of a diaper commercial never mind a Star Wars movie.

21 hours ago
3/7/05
JLK - 
FingerorMoon - 

The character who did everything he could to redeem his father whom he'd never met who had participated in genocide, killing all the Jedi, ushering in the Sith as leaders, slavery of entire races then almost kills his nephew who he has known all his life for something he might do.

Then Luke fucks off to a backwater world to drink milk out of space cow titties while the Empire comes back and blows up 5 more planets.

The sequel trilogy completely erases Luke's accomplishments. Blowing up the Death Star? Doesn't matter the First Order builds the planet killer that took out 5 planets. Killing the Emperor? Didn't happen he's still alive and kicking. Rebuilt the Jedi? Nope that all went to shit due to Luke's incompetence.

They took a hero and turned him into putz. If that wasn't done deliberately then Kennedy shouldn't be be in charge of a diaper commercial never mind a Star Wars movie.

This is it exactly. This is why Mark Hamill made the comments about this not being the Luke that he played. They did everything they could to wipe out the past and make Luke look like a complete asshat.