GeekGround Painting miniatures need to vent

8/13/20 8:11 PM
1/18/03

I have a bunch of miniatures for Star Wars and decided it might be fun to paint them.  I know they are probably going to look like shit but I figured I'd give it a try.

Ordered the paint set from Fantasy Flight who make the miniatures.  Instead of having colours on their bottles they have shit like sith robes and R2Dblue (or some shit like that).

I figured I'd start with the Stormtroopers (white and black, primer will be good enough for the white).  I look for the black.  I'm guessing it's the Sith Robes (closest thing I can see to black on and in the box.  It's fucking grey.  I have Darth fucking Vader and Stormtroopers and these douche canoes can't put fucking black in the fucking box.  Fucking cuntbags. 

I'm working the next three days so I'm hoping my brother can go out and get some black paint and some paint thinner for me tomorrow.

Wow this is fun and relaxing.  Sorry just needed to vent.

8/13/20 8:16 PM
3/7/05
Sounds like you have a new hobby. Enjoy.
8/13/20 8:33 PM
1/18/03
BigWilliam - Sounds like you have a new hobby. Enjoy.

I believe it will help build a brain aneurysm. Just pissed as I wanted to work on it tonight and now I have to wait until possibly monday.
Edited: 8/22/20 5:58 PM
11/9/10

Fuck that company. They’re so proprietary in their game it’s annoying as hell. How come you can’t just have the same dice as everyone else? Just use a d20 or d6 system. Fucking annoying as hell I refuse to give them a dime. 

8/17/20 7:22 PM
1/18/03
While I consider anything made by Disney non cannon, I am a huge Star Wars fan (what would now be considered Legends line) so I buy the Fantasy Flight stuff.
8/18/20 3:22 PM
11/8/11

Probably a bad move to buy that paint set. I recommend vallejo paints or army painter, since these are high quality and come in dropper bottles (which I much prefer). The citadel paints are good too but those bottles suck ass.

I'm sure you can get a vallejo paint set of like 16 basic colors for around 50$.

If you're really into it you should also look into getting a winsor newton series 7 brush as it's very good quality. As long as you take care of it and clean it regularly it will last a long time.

8/18/20 3:35 PM
1/18/03
Eisenberg - 

Probably a bad move to buy that paint set. I recommend vallejo paints or army painter, since these are high quality and come in dropper bottles (which I much prefer). The citadel paints are good too but those bottles suck ass.

I'm sure you can get a vallejo paint set of like 16 basic colors for around 50$.

If you're really into it you should also look into getting a winsor newton series 7 brush as it's very good quality. As long as you take care of it and clean it regularly it will last a long time.

Thanks for the advice. Once I'm done with the colours I did buy I'm going to change to one of the ones you mentioned (probably the vallejo). It's still probably not going to prevent me from paining like shit though.
8/19/20 8:55 AM
9/29/13

A cheap but decent paint option is Americana. You can find it at the craft stores, JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, etc. That's what I started with before upgrading to the more expensive paints like reaper, citadel and I got good results with them.

8/19/20 8:55 AM
11/8/11
JLK -
Eisenberg - 

Thanks for the advice. Once I'm done with the colours I did buy I'm going to change to one of the ones you mentioned (probably the vallejo). It's still probably not going to prevent me from paining like shit though.

We all paint like shit when we start, it's alright.

Just focus on brush control and most importantly, thin your paints appropriately. You don't need a medium thinner, water does the trick just fine.

A very simple way to paint your minis in a way that looks good without being too complicated is this: base coat your mini completely, and then use an ink or wash over the whole thing.

You probably don't have inks in the set you bought, but you can get some individual bottles for the same price as an individual paint bottle. You can get 3 bottles from army painter and be pretty much covered: strong, medium and light tone. 

Once your mini is basecoated use medium or strong tone over everything except skin, which you wash with light tone. It will give depth to the mini and make it look much better.

8/19/20 6:26 PM
1/18/03

Thanks for the advice guys.  The only store I found in my area sells Tamiya paint.  I only bought the black as I've got a shit ton of Stormtroopers.

I think I'll post my adventures of painting here for your all amusement.

I painted 2 more Stormtroopers today to add to Captain graymask I painted the first night.

I tried painting without using the wet palette and only using the dry plastic paint palette. By the end the paint was getting thick and rubbery so I think I'm going to stick to the wet palette.  The 2 Stormtroopers came out pretty shitty with one guys mouth looking really thick.

Funnily enough the first gray guy looks the best (granted they all look pretty bad).  I think doing just the 2 guys took me close to an hour and I decided to stop.  I think my aim will be one guy per night and just have fun with it.  

8/19/20 8:27 PM
1/18/03

I checked when the paint dried.  One of the Stormtroopers looks like a first order Stormtrooper (new films) from far.  If anyone asks that's what I was looking to do.

8/21/20 9:52 PM
1/18/03
So tonight I learned I put to much water in my wet palette yesterday so the paint was runny as fuck. Used the dry palette because I wanted to paint.

I have to watch how much paint I put out as I'm wasting the paint. I had one figure that came out where I was happy with it, another First Order Trooper, one that looks okay and one that looks like shit. Fun night.

Oh yeah when I went to clean the dry palette I spilled paint thinner on my hands and now they stink. Fuck I'm a putz.
8/22/20 9:09 AM
11/8/11

Yeah one of the main advantages of the wet palette is not wasting as much paints. It's kind of annoying to use at first but it's very important to use, especially if you paint large minis / multiple minis at the same time and need a large quantity of a specific color.

8/25/20 8:03 AM
9/14/13

8/25/20 2:16 PM
1/18/03
I've watched different videos on how to paint. Going with just the basics right now figure I'll learn piece by piece.
8/28/20 12:03 PM
1/1/01

My son just took up warhammer.  So we’ve been painting figures for weeks. 

stupidist hobby ever for someone who needs reading glass and has had mild tremors in his hands most of his life 

8/28/20 2:40 PM
11/8/11
Kurle -

stupidist hobby ever for someone who needs reading glass and has had mild tremors in his hands most of his life 

Haha you sure are not making it easy for yourself. 

I just started warhammer too, with some friends. I had only painted minis for DnD before, but the minis for warhammer have such awesome details. I bought the Start collecting set for the Slaves to Darkness and the models look great.

8/29/20 6:29 AM
1/18/03
Kurle -

Have fun with it.  My neice gave me shit because I glued together 7 more guys, but didn't prime them yet.

9/9/20 7:25 PM
1/18/03
Painted regular Stormtrooper today. I think it's the best one I've done. I was able to do the black line on the helmet without paint going everywhere but the line I was aiming for, the eyes came out good. Only the shoes came out a little bit wonky. Decided to stop after that.
25 days ago
1/18/03
Figured I'd give another update and hopefully Eisenberg and Kurle share their experiences. Still doing Stormtroopers and did one with the exception of his backpack. I have 3 of them with this type of backpack and figured I'd leave the backpacks till the end as their is some blue I have to put into it and I'd like to watch a video prior to doing it to get an idea of how to do the tubes.

BTW newest guy went ok with the exception of his ass. Got a little black paint there where I didn't want it. I'll try correcting it next time with white.
24 days ago
9/14/13

My most recent miniature

24 days ago
1/18/03
That's nicer than anything I've done so far.
24 days ago
9/14/13
JLK - That's nicer than anything I've done so far.

I've been doing it on and off since i was 13 so you'll probably catch up in like a month of actual consistent effort

24 days ago
1/18/03
My problem is that at a certain point I try correcting or working to long I end up making more and more mistakes. Just doing a stormtrooper takes me about 45 minutes. When I go longer the fuckups pile up. Still having fun with it though.
24 days ago
9/14/13
JLK - My problem is that at a certain point I try correcting or working to long I end up making more and more mistakes. Just doing a stormtrooper takes me about 45 minutes. When I go longer the fuckups pile up. Still having fun with it though.

45 minutes is about right for a miniature, try painting several at once so you're not wasting the drying time